Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am a first time RVer buying my first RV. I went to the Hersey RV show last year and thought I was set on a Winn Vista 30 ft. But then I found it too wide to get up my driveway so now I am looking at a Thor ACE 29.2 and a Forest FR3. I am so confused at how to tell which RV is better, how to find reviews, what to be looking for. From reading all the blogs it seems 26-30 ft is the entry level and you shouldnt expect great products. I dont want anything over 30 feet so what am I to do? Where do I go? I dont want to spend more than 85k and I want it new.

I have so many questions I cant get answers to.
1. I need to be able to hook up a computer and have access while on the road. What do I need to do this?
2. I need a good shower and comfortable drivers seat-how do I make sure of that?
3. How do I learn to use the RV?
4. What is more important the roof or the engine? or both?
5. How much does it cost to be on the road?
6. Where can I go for help in my questions?
7. Where can I go for RV reviews?

Please if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Karen
kgeraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #2

I can help with 1 and 3. Your can turn your smart phone into a hot spot or get a myfi. number 3 you learn by doing it. You also can all sorts of great info on the web, utube has some great video on all RV topics. You might start with RV Geeks very well done sight.
Johnkmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
don't purchase extended warranties from Camping World....they do not honor anything!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Support

You will find a lot here Gone With the Wynns or other blogs and Youtube support sites...google is the real answer to finding your answers.
WheelCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the ACE 29.2...2013...they have fixed many of the issues we had the first year...but are not helping us as far as the extended warranty.. we had several issues with the slide....fixed four times....they replaced our couch but now we are in a dispute with CW as to who should pay for the labor even though it was in the first year of warrenty. Macerator...our first year we visited four CW for repairs....
Radio simply stops working....it was replaced...wood trim is not wood, it is simply paper covered simulated junk.
Had a list of repairs for our second year and CW charged for some items and refused to repair obvious things..CW just ignored the list. They repair whatever and simply ignore the rest!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeraci View Post
So I am a first time RVer buying my first RV. I went to the Hersey RV show last year and thought I was set on a Winn Vista 30 ft. But then I found it too wide to get up my driveway so now I am looking at a Thor ACE 29.2 and a Forest FR3. I am so confused at how to tell which RV is better, how to find reviews, what to be looking for. From reading all the blogs it seems 26-30 ft is the entry level and you shouldnt expect great products. I dont want anything over 30 feet so what am I to do? Where do I go? I dont want to spend more than 85k and I want it new.

I have so many questions I cant get answers to.

1. I need to be able to hook up a computer and have access while on the road. What do I need to do this?

2. I need a good shower and comfortable drivers seat-how do I make sure of that?

Karen

Karen,

Your pie has too many big slices.

1. New
2. High quality
3. 85k budget

Pick two!

In my estimation, "New" is least important.

If width is a limitation then you can't go with an industry standard "wide body". Those are generally 102" plus mirrors. You might consider a Winnebago View about 3-4 years old. Are you sure about the width issue? The narrowest of the standard production coaches are not likely to be less than about 96". Might be easier to modify the driveway.

You really can't prioritize certain items:
1. If you are traveling and the engine quits then the engine is most important.
2. If you are parked and it's a monsoon outside and the roof starts leaking then the roof is most important.

They are both important. If you stick with a well known major builder with a good reputation for quality then you have some expectation of a reasonable level of performance from the systems on board.

Don't be too quick to pull the trigger on a purchase. You need more exposure and more knowledge.

Go to more shows, like the Tampa Super Show in January. Go to Lazy Days in Tampa and take their drivers course. It's very basic but a good start. They also have many coaches both new and used. They are generally a low pressure dealership & will leave you alone to look.

Someone will recommend RV.org. They sell a membership to their rating service. It's a good reference as long as you don't rely on it to heavily.

Good luck with your search. You'll. figure it out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If width is the problem I think your only talking a few inches difference on either rig. 8.2 or 8.5
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #8

They are all about the same width. That leaves me wondering what your problem is. If it's the double slide leave one in when in your driveway. FWIW I would not touch any MH I could not use with the slides in. Too many places to go where having them out is a problem.

2. - sit or stand as required and see how it fits. Take of your shoes before standing in the shower. ;-)

3. Do it.

4. you get the same Ford f-53 chassis no matter what you choose. It is the only one currently available in the 30 ft gasser range.

5. How much do you have. Walmart is free but you run up your wireless bill. High end parks can run close to $100 a night if you try hard. There is a lot in between depending on where you are, how long you want to stay, and how fussy you are about amenities.

6. Here is a good place.

7. Google is your friend.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
...too wide to get up my driveway... ...how to tell which RV is better, how to find reviews, what to be looking for. From reading all the blogs it seems 26-30 ft is the entry level and you shouldnt expect great products. I dont want anything over 30 feet so what am I to do? Where do I go? I dont want to spend more than 85k and I want it new.

I have so many questions I cant get answers to...

What do you mean by "too wide to get up my driveway?" Most motorhomes are very close to the same width.

I ass-u-me you mean a high speed Internet connection. Before I retired as a working photographer, I needed high speed access in some desolate places. I used, and still use, a Verizon MiFi with 5GB monthly data plan. It was adequate about 95% of the time. If you need access where there's no cell service, you'll have to spring for satellite plan of some sort. Those aren't as fast but adequate for most applications.

The only way is to sit in the driver's seat. Shower heads can easily be changed out and there are lots of choices.

Practice, practice and practice some more. If you ever think you're an expert and don't need any more practice, you're ready for your first accident.

That's like asking, "What's more important, my brain or my heart?" They're both very important. It's not an either/or proposition.

How much do you spend at home? The answer is, "It all depends." Are you full timing, using it for months-long trips or short trips? Do you want to boondock or live the life of Reilly? Basic costs include gas, maintenance, food, dump/water and misc.

You're here.

Google is your friend. Keep in mind that most reviews are written by people with an agenda. Most of the time, that agenda is to sell you what makes them the most money. Check & double check what you read/hear in a forum like this.

Don't rush your decision. My wife and I spent several years thinking, talking and looking at motorhomes before we bought our first rig, an 06 Winnebago View 24J. It was the right rig at the right time.

Last year, our travel habits changed so we sold the View and bought a 30 foot WGO Vista with double slides. In both cases, we bought used and never spent over $60K. If your concern is that a used rig might have been abused, most people don't buy a new rig and trash it. If it's a well maintained rig in the 2-5 year old range, you should be fine. Good luck.

BTW, all future questions will be charged at a rate of $10 per question. (JK )
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

If you are in the Tampa, FL area, take the driving course at Lazy Days RV Center. It is on I-4 a few miles east of the intersection with I-75. You do not have to purchase an RV there to take the course. The cost is nominal, but the half day training is invaluable. The training is half classroom and half driving with the instructor. Make a reservation. The course is very popular. Lazy Days also offers many other RV courses.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #11

If you plan to pay bills and order stuff online in your RV, I recommend that you get a wireless card for secure transactions. Campground wireless networks are never secure. Alternately some of the newer smart phones can be sued as a secure wireless hub. Just be sure that you have a large enough data plan. As you probably know, running over your monthly data maximum is costly. Verizon, and probably many of the other carriers now allow you to change your data maximum monthly so you can adjust your plan to current needs. We make our data plan 10G when RVing summer and fall, and 1G when back home using our regular high speed broadband service.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
So I am a first time RVer buying my first RV. I went to the Hersey RV show last year and thought I was set on a Winn Vista 30 ft. But then I found it too wide to get up my driveway so now I am looking at a Thor ACE 29.2 and a Forest FR3.

Karen

The Winnebago Vista 30 is 101.5" inches in width, the FR3 is 99.5" in width, and the Ace 29.2 is 99" in width.

So if the Winn Vista is too wide for your driveway, I doubt two inches less in width will make any difference!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote