Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #1

I am looking to buy an RV but which one, what options are essential. Should I get a pull trailer or class A, both will be a new driving experience. It would be used for weekend trips since I still work. I hear so many things and I don't know who or what to believe, overload. What brands, what engines, what the hell, Help!!!!

daywiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Hi Nancy,

A few short weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. Going from Class C to A after figuring out that we wanted to stay in the coach for extended periods of time so things like having a washer/dryer combo, added room so needed sliders etc etc. I think if you start with that it might help things. I asked a lot of the same questions but at the end of the day I was also worried about towing capacity, ride, safety, workmanship, resale etc as many of the folks will tell you is very important as you WILL have problems. I would suggest spending a bit of money to help you make your decision. Look up RV Consumer's Group. You can research tons of manufacturer's, styles, models back to 2006 for all the things I mentioned to give you a good sense of who's good, not so good etc. Hope that helps.

SWADoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Originally Posted by daywiser View Post
I am looking to buy an RV but which one, what options are essential. Should I get a pull trailer or class A, both will be a new driving experience. It would be used for weekend trips since I still work. I hear so many things and I don't know who or what to believe, overload. What brands, what engines, what the hell, Help!!!!

That is really hard for anyone to answer. Do you prefer pulling a trailer or driving a motorhome? If it is only for weekend trips and you prefer the motorhome, I would not even consider anything but a gas powered coach. You can pick up some nice used rigs and start from there. Some brands are better quality than others and you can learn that from reading the many threads on forums. I myself prefer the Winnebago brand over some others but they all have their own personalities. Good luck.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Welcome aboard.
Some questions answer.
1 do you have something to safely pull a trailer?
2 how much room do you need ?
3 if you choose a mh are you going to tow a vehicle behind?
4 new or used ?
5 going to campgrounds or boondocking ?

We snowbird in a 38 dp tow car behind.
Have all we need with us and full of water fuel etc. we are now where close to weight limits.No one can tell you what you need but your self.
Suggest you go rv shows and see whats available to start. dave
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best idea is to rent a couple of different styles of RV before deciding on what works for you. Rental may seem expensive but it could help you to buy your last RV first. Nothing worse than wanting to sell your first purchase right after you bought it.
2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

With a Class A or a Class C you can all ride together if you have a larger family and pets and have use of the comforts and facilities without having to stop, get out and go back to the trailer. With either you can tow a smaller vehicle for sightseeing and errands. Normally the Class A will have more storage room where the Class C will be able to sleep more people.

Gas coaches will be cheaper to maintain but won't last as long or pull as much as the diesel coaches. Diesel coaches will also be quieter up front since the engines are normally in the rear (Class A) and the ride will be smoother due to air suspension.

There are a lot of coaches to choose from but the main decision is finding one with a floor plan that suits your needs.

There are several driving schools you can attend for RV's.

A couple of other things to consider is insurance and where you will store it when it isn't in use.

Good luck with your decision.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I think you should consider:
1. How much money do you have to spend? If you have a lot of money to spend, it makes a difference.
2. How are you going to use it? Weekend trips? Months at a time? The answer to this may answer some other questions.
3. Have you had one before and if so what kind?
4. How many people? Kids, Grand Kids?
5. How far from home?
Answer all these questions and a few more and you will begin to answer your big questions. For instance, no kids and only short trips on weekends, maybe a Class B will suit you. Long trips lots of people, moving all the time, Class C or A. Staying in one place for long periods of time, fifth wheel. None of us can answer your questions but we can help once you answer some of the questions above and probably others. Good luck.

Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote