Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
HELP! ACE Front Left OEM Speaker Not Working....

Hi all,

I'm new here and just bought a 2012 ACE 29.2. Has a few small issues that I am working through. Lots of great info on this forum....

I do have an issue that I am trying to work out.....the Front Left Speaker is not playing. Electrical gremlins have never been my specialty. This is what I have done so far in the way of troubleshooting...

1. Took down the left front speaker and checked its wiring at the speaker.
2. Took down the right front speaker (works) and plugged in the left front speaker into its lead wires...and it worked.
3. Tried to get voltage on my voltmeter from the front left and front right speakers but could not get a reading. I assume these are 12V.
4. Pulled out the Jensen radio head unit and tried using the needle ends of my voltmeter to get voltage from the FRONT LH speaker wires (White White/Black) to no avail. But tried also to tap into the FRONT RH speaker wires (Grey Grey/Black) and could not get a reading....confusing.

Next step I will try to make up a speaker wire and splice it into the L Front speaker wire and run it directly to the speaker and see if that works. I either have a problem with the head unit or a break in the wire somewhere.

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

While I have the head unit out, i notice several wire leads such as IPOD, SAT, etc. Can these be connected and used? and for what purpose? Can these be used to connect the TV to the coach speakers?

Thanks in advance for your help, I apologize for my electrical illiteracy...LOL.

2012 Thor ACE 29.2
2008 American Eagle 45H (Gone - went with BWTTHMS in divorce)

skyking650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
You have front speakers?
I only had the two speakers in the ceiling back in the house. I had to install bookshelf speakers up front to hear my music over road noise.

Do you plug the left speaker lead into the right speaker? That will answer a lot.

Yes, the the other input/output cables should work although I plug my Droid via the input jack on the front of the head unit.

2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your balance control on your radio. You may have it turned down and the speakers uses low voltage do not apply 12 volts to them. check your balance
2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
x2 on Johndale's comment. I once tore apart our living room stereo because the left speaker had "died". Several hours with multi-meter, etc., before I discovered the balance control was all the way over to the right.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by skyking650 View Post
Hi all,

While I have the head unit out, i notice several wire leads such as IPOD, SAT, etc. Can these be connected and used? and for what purpose? Can these be used to connect the TV to the coach speakers?
Yes, all those connections work, and they can be used.

You can purchase a cable to connect an iPod/iPhone if you like. You can listen to music, answer phone calls, listen to GPS directions, (as I do), over the stereo.

The SAT input allows you to install a SirusXM satellite receiver, (with a subscription).

Connecting the TV to the coach speakers can be done using the AUX input on the front panel, but I'm not sure you want to do that, do you?

As mentioned above, check the balance, (left/right), and fade, (front/back), settings. You can check the condition of the existing LF wire by using your multi-meter to check it's resistance. It will be about the same as the RF wire.

I'm assuming that you have a Jensen JRV212T, if so, here is your manual:

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the first thing i did was check to see if the balance and fade controls were set correctly. Then i moved all to the Front Left Speaker and there was no sound. Moving the sound back to center balance and fade results in all of the other 3 speakers to play.

I will be trying direct wiring from the speaker to the head unit this evening and i hope this will isolate either a wire short or a problem inside the head unit.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
The speakers do not get 12volts. Put your meter on the A/C scale on a low volt setting and check you right speaker while you have it playing, use this reference to check the output of the radio. If you know how to use the OHM scale for continuty, you can disconnect your speakers from the receiver and measure across the wires and the should read a few OHMs. You can also do this directly at the speaker. Your left speaker wires may be shorted(wires crimped together) or open (wires cut).
2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
2006 Honda CR-V Air Force One
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
I'm not familiar with your coach, but I had the same issue with my 2007 Winnie. Thought it was the head, so I bought a new Pioneer unit. Went to install it, it's a double din unit, Winning uses a 1.5 din. Out comes the metal saw, and I got it installed. Same problem... Anyway, I finally traced the speaker wire to the relay box that switches sound from the radio to the DVD player. The manufacturer of the box wouldn't provide me with the schematics for the unit, but offered me the pin outs of the box. I just opted to buy a new relay box, problem solved, cost me about $70 bucks. Figured it wasn't worth my time to track down a new relay and spend the time with the soldering, hoping I didn't fry the coil in the process..
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
I should add, try switching from radio to DVD, if you get sound, it's the relay box, if not, it could still be a bad relay.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Found that the speaker wire running across the roof had been shorted somehow, probably by a screw being driven through it. Fished a new wire through and its working again.

On another note, filled the fresh water and de-winterized. Shortly after leak checking the system I found that there is a small strainer inline from the fresh water tank with a clear plastic screw on cap....it fractured! Had to drain the system and order the $ 5.00 part.

Next i noticed that there is suddenly a hydraulic leak in the leveling system and when i run the jacks up and down it doesn't duplicate! Wet though under the coach behind the tranny around where the lines are running. Im afraid that if it continues it could become a fire hazard.

Im getting nervous about the quality of Thor ACE coaches, especially after reading all of the negative reviews.......
Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
Have you checked your Tranny fluid? Try not to worry about the negitive ACE comments. I beleive this to be the #1 selling gas class A, and for a reason. More coaches = more people with issues. You don't hear from people unless there is issues. My coach is trouble free after a year and 20,000 miles.
Happy camping,

Ted E
2013 Thor ACE 29.2
Ted E is offline   Reply With Quote