Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Help! Airbags won't air up!

We are on a trip traveling through Arkansas when suddenly the motorhome starts to vibrate and shake. The road was extremely bumpy just prior to this happening. I was able to limp it in to the RV park on Little Rock Air Force Base. After inspecting underneath I saw that the coach was not at ride height. The airbags were not inflated at all but the air tanks were inflated and my gauges show that the air is at over 100 psi. But again the airbags are not inflated. What is going on here? Any ideas what I can do myself to remedy the situation?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Have you checked the ride height rod that is connected to the air leveling valve. I have had this very same thing happen to my Peterbilt the rod gets bent and or loose and will not maintain correct ride height
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd check the ride height valves. If the rod is disconnected or broken, the valve might be stuck in the shut off position. There are generally 3 valves, 2 at one axle, one at the other. By removing one end of the rod, you should be able to manually raise/lower the lever and get air to fill the air springs.

Driving with the chassis at the wrong height can damage U joints and even the transmission end bearing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd check the ride height valves. If the rod is disconnected or broken, the valve might be stuck in the shut off position. There are generally 3 valves, 2 at one axle, one at the other. By removing one end of the rod, you should be able to manually raise/lower the lever and get air to fill the air springs.

Driving with the chassis at the wrong height can damage U joints and even the transmission end bearing.
Here is a photo of the ride height control in the rear. There appears to be a loose hose and also something appears torn off the arm. I don't believe that flimsy hose attaches to that arm.... Does it?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Trying photo upload again.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You might Google ride height valve to get an idea what it's supposed to look like, or look at one of your other ride height valves. Typically a flat lever arm attached to the valve and the end of lever is a rod connecting the lever to the axle or suspension. At each end of the rod is a rubber isolator with a socket or hole to fasten on a pin. On mine, I had the rubber isolator dry rot and break. I got a replacement rod and ends at a truck parts shop.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

It is possible that the ride height arm got flipped over (went past center) and it dumped all the air out of the bag. It could also be that the rubber "T" broke in two. I had this happen on my last trip. I used electrical tape to put it back together until I could get home. It lasted 800 miles

Be sure to get this up on blocks before you get under neath the coach.

BTW, your photo is not coming through, if you want send me a PM and I'll call you.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
It is possible that the ride height arm got flipped over (went past center) and it dumped all the air out of the bag. It could also be that the rubber "T" broke in two. I had this happen on my last trip. I used electrical tape to put it back together until I could get home. It lasted 800 miles

Be sure to get this up on blocks before you get under neath the coach.

BTW, your photo is not coming through, if you want send me a PM and I'll call you.
Thanks John but I was able to jerry rig the adjuster arm for a temporary fix and the bags air up now. I just now need to find a replacement part.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Most any truck stop with a repair shop carries them in stock. I had the rear rod replaced at a Petro truck stop. Took about a hour including wait-time, and cost <$70 total.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Trying photo upload again.

Still don't see.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #11

Most parts can be bought at Napa or any truck parts house. Mine was a Haldex ride height valve and I got the replacement rubber "T" from Napa, it was 4.00
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are all four corners flat? I doubt it's a ride height valve if all four corners are not inflating as you should have multiple ride height valves for the front and back and side to side.

Here's a picture of the valve on my Monaco.

A rod connects to the end of the lever on the left side and the frame of the RV. Here it is installed on the coach. There is a small black hose which is actually the exhaust which is used to let air out of the bag if the coach height is too high. The air supply should be a fairly rigid 1/4" plastic hose inside a corrugated conduit. You can see it at the top center of the picture.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

sounds more like the valve that inflates and dumps the air bags.. they are known to go bad as i just changed mine out.. I would look there they are controlled by 12v on my set up thru the HWH leveling system..

try a complete shut down and start up make sure all jacks are up e brake set and released a few times... etc etc
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Thanks John but I was able to jerry rig the adjuster arm for a temporary fix and the bags air up now. I just now need to find a replacement part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
sounds more like the valve that inflates and dumps the air bags.. they are known to go bad as i just changed mine out.. I would look there they are controlled by 12v on my set up thru the HWH leveling system..

try a complete shut down and start up make sure all jacks are up e brake set and released a few times... etc etc
Slice, he found a bad ride height link and fixed it. OP replied in post #8

Bob & Donna