Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

Help-back air bags not inflating

Newbie with first motor home purchase. Picked up a 2015 Ventana made by Newmar. Drove it from Florida to Texas with no issues. First camping trip may long weekend all good. Went to pick up last night and drive it home and then noticed the back end was low. Tried dumping and stabilizing a few times but still they did not inflate. Once I stop the engine I do hear a hissing sound at the back wheels which tells me that air is coming out from somewhere. Called freight liner and they were no help on the phone and the first appointment they have available is July 7. Can anyone provide me some advice? Appreciate the help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Hi djknicely,
Welcome to IRV2.
Only thing I can suggest is to reset the leveling system by removing all power. If you have cutoff switches for your chassis and house batteries, turn them both off for about 3 minutes then turn them back on and use the system to auto level. After it auto levels start the engine and wait for the air pressure to build in the tanks (you'll hear the pressure relief) then press the All Up button on the leveling control.
If you don't have battery cutoff switches you can disconnect the ground cables from the batteries then wait a few minutes and reconnect.y
Good luck.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
There is a 12v solenoid valve back by the rear axle, when the leveling system is activated or you press the "Dump" button, the valve is opened thus dumping the air bags. You also have the valves up front also. Sounds like the rear one might be stuck open. They are a "Normally closed" solenoid valve, and when 12 vdc power is supplied to them , they open. Try pressing the "Dump" button on the leveling control panel several times.....to see if it is stuck open. The advice in post #2 also good, remove the power with the disconnect switches.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.
Sounds like a rear suspension air leak, and for liability reasons , Freightliner would be reluctant to send you under the coach to check things out for yourself.
Did your air tank gauges come up to their normal readings, 115>120 PSI?
Or was one tank reading low 65>70 ?
Did you call the Freightliner Free Help line or a local dealer?
Call the help line 1-800-385-4357, have your serial number handy , and have them to send you an air system diagram.
You need the diagram to find out if your coach is equipped with 1 or 2 rear ride height valves and if you have 1 or 2 suspension air dump valves on the whole coach.
If your mechanically inclined , and willing to block up the frame of the coach maybe we can talk you through a repair to get you mobile , because driving with the suspension down , your run the risk of drive shaft failure.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
One more thing, it is a brand new Coach! Call Newmar! Do you have any roadside assistance? See what Newmar says?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Similar airbag issue

Similar issue with 2015 Fleetwood Discovery. After returning from weekend camping trip noticed left rear bag wasn't inflated. Called lazydays and they suggested I talk to Freightliner. Freightliner was great and recommended not driving the coach. They called Lazydays and arranged to have a mobile service technician drive to the coach and Freightliner will reimburse. Freightliner also stated that if Lazydays couldn't do it they would pay for a different mobile tech to service it. Good luck but I think Freightliner will take care of good care of you

Gary Snyder
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Sounds like the high pressure relief(popoff) valve on the air dryer is stuck open. You can crawl under behind left rear wheel while idling, feel the air leak and tap on the valve(wrench, hammer), manytimes that will free it up and no more air leak. Still wise to replace the valve anyway... $20 if you were paying. These are notorious for sticking open, but not when new, usually when several years old. Happened to me this spring.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

Some new MH's are sold with a one-year road service, if you have one call to see if this may be covered. At any rate, I would not do anything to void the warranty. You might call a local HDT repair shop with a mobile repair service, and ask if they will work with Newmar for a warranty claim.
Can you get underneath the coach with air dumped? If you can, check the ride-height linkage for the air valves. One of the rubber end pieces broke on mine and caused that same problem. A ride-height linkage repair kit runs around $40.

I strongly recommend NOT driving the MH without the all air bags inflated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Wow thanks everyone for the quick responses. It turns out what happened is some large rodent decided to crawl up in the back tire area and chew on the air line. This created the numerous holes in the line. Big thanks to Smitty's Welding here in Houston. I had the RV in to have a Hydralift put on the coach and Mingo found the problem and fixed for me.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djknicely View Post
Wow thanks everyone for the quick responses. It turns out what happened is some large rodent decided to crawl up in the back tire area and chew on the air line. This created the numerous holes in the line. Big thanks to Smitty's Welding here in Houston. I had the RV in to have a Hydralift put on the coach and Mingo found the problem and fixed for me.
That would do it Thanks for the update!