Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Keep in mind that the pivot point when turning is the rear tire, not the end of the coach. Sounds simple but noobies sometimes forget.

'92 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. Tweaked 5.9 Cummins, complete interior makeover (previous owner).
Coaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a CDL, (commercial drivers license). I will first look the site over for low branches, etc. Always try if possible to back into the site with the electrical pedestal on your drivers side. That way you can see how close you are. When I help others to back into a site, I stand where they can always see me in their line of sight. If I want them to move the rear of the coach to the left, I point both arms to my left. To the right, both arms to my right. straight back, both hands are opened and straight. To stop, I cross my arms. Good Luck.

Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
You might try letting her back the coach up and you guide her in.some people have better luck that way.
Rhoughton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Country Coach Owners Club
Dismount and walk the site.

Discuss where the rig will end up with your partner.

Partner must be seen in your mirrors or camera at all times or rig does not move.

Partner uses full arm movement to indicate direction the Rear of the coach needs to move. Both arms up means stop!

Driver monitors the front sides of the coach (most of the time). Partner may have to help.

Driver uses both mirrors. Do not hang head out the side window!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
With radios it's so much simpler as you can say what you mean . I would take your rig to a big empty parking lot and spend some time backing all kinds of different ways so you learn what/how your rig reacts and soon it will be second nature. People will always watch you in Campgrounds it just the nature if the beast. Stop and get out and see what you need , then take your time and back in. It's way easier to get out again than have to repair your coach.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Maybe carry an orange traffic cone with you and place it near the rear of the site where you want to stop.
I do a version of this using my leveling blocks as markers.

In my case, I walk the site first and determine a "line", which I then mark with three or four blocks along the driver's side of the rig. (At night I use flashlights or lanterns.)

I then back in straight along that line, stopping at the last marker.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
We've tried practicing it several times and she just can't understand the principal and confuses left and right. (And yes, I'm serious).
My father was that way!! In a restaurant I'd tell him the men's restroom was to the left, he came back and said "That's funny, there were no standups (urinals) in there" I told him there were in the one I went into!! Yep, he turned the wrong way and used the woman's!
Same thing giving him directions! He was truly ambidextrous and confused turns easily.

Personally I never depend on anyone but myself when backing. Mirrors and backup cam do just fine for me.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I feel your pain

After 40 something years of trying I gave up. My DW can't back her own car into a space without dozens of tries, and it has a camera.

Her job is to stand where I place her, the pivot point. I always walk the site and figure it out beforehand. For some reason she holds her arms out despite my telling her it's not needed. I haven't told her she's a traffic cone. We're working on her telling me to stop BEFORE I hit something.

Can't live with 'em, get tired of my own cooking.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
I would have no problem asking for help or at check in. Many of us would help if asked. Again if DW is having trouble with left or right teach her to point in the direction the rear end needs to go. I have the DW do that and that way we have no yelling. If I'm not sure or can't see her I stop and ask for clarification. 9 out of 10 times I don't need any assistance and just use reference points in the site or at home.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
As someone suggested , Lazydays has a series of videos , Darn good info. Try practicing in a parking lot , dare I say Wal-Mart . Use your orange cones or whatever marker you choose . Take it slow and easy. I've seen driver ed trainging at some of the rally's we go to . Mostly oriented towards new drivers . And yes, if I needed help, I would certainly ask .
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most people won't volunteer to help you back in. I've done it a few times, and some people act like they're almost insulted that you think they can't do it by themselves. Seriously, I've rarely even received a thank you for trying to help. So, if you want help, indicate to one of the looky-lous that you would welcome some help, and they will probably be happy to oblige. Otherwise, they will probably not intrude.

When you walk the site, be sure to LOOK UP so you won't back into something. If you have somebody helping you, make sure they also LOOK UP for possible obstructions.

Also, make sure they just point in the direction you need to go, and know how to indicate for you to STOP. Often people will try to make completely undecipherable circular motions with their hands to indicate which way to turn the wheel. If they do this, just stop and calmly explain that you just need them to point in the direction you need to move the rear. Otherwise, you may wind up parallel parked in several spaces.. :-)
Ken & Jeannie
96 Vectra Grand Tour 35' DP
Jacey (terri-poo, waiting at the rainbow bridge), Jack (silky terrier)
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Speedpeddeler, I'm sure all you have to do is ask. When I see someone that needs help I always ask if I can help.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
When backing forget left or right. We use driver and passenger this remains constant forward or reverse.Wealso useFrs radios.Only problem when arriving with group change channelif not it will get messy

Mariposa ca
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
I am fairly new to rving, been out a few times now. I was having a time backing my 36 ft class A. Last time out I decide to open the driver side window and stick my head out, Wow what a difference, now backing is a piece of cake. Good luck.

charliej is offline   Reply With Quote