Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Help checking out a MH.

Hello, I am interested in a Used Class A diesel at Lazydays in Florida. I live in PA. and would be flying down their Dec. 5th or the 11th. I was wondering if their is someone down there that would meet me and be able to go over the MH so I am confident that I am getting a good one. This would be my first MH. I also don't know much about diesels. I know from reading on here that their are people that do this, Any help would be a great help, Thanks, Scott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott, since this is a new venture for you, I would do some research on this site, because I remember in the past few day's a couple of post's about their future. In a situation like this, I would be reluctant of buying from them, because 1st and most important, a company in trouble will make promises that usually are not true. Second, who will be there if you have a problem, and last, the market is wide open on motorhomes, any kind and model you could think of, and usually at a better price than you can get from a dealer, regardless of their future forecast. JMHO, I would do some serious shopping, the market is in your favor. Good luck,
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Scott, I trust that you have done plenty of homework as to what floor plan, how you will use the coach and this coach having the necessary systems and amenities to support your needs. IF not don't get into a rush and rent one first that you think will work. This will give you much insight as to what you want to look for. I spent f years research for the coach we would full time in before everything fell into place and i did not regret it. I have seen others rush in and buy two or even three different rigs in a year, because they saw something that would work better for them.
As far a Lazy Days being an issue, don't fret over something that you cannot control and will probably not be an issue anyway.
There are two certifying schools (RVSA and RVTC) for RV technicians not far from Lazy Days that my have graduates that would be willing to help you out. Lazy Days will however check the coach out and even over to sell you a warranty insurance policy if you wish. You should understand what is and WHAT IS NOT COVERED in these extended warranties.
Are you able to determine if the coach net carrying capacity is sufficient and that the drive train has the horsepower to weight ratio you will be satisfied with? As you can see there is a lot to consider; and I have only scratched the surface with some suggestions. If you want to be sure to get the right coach it will take a lot of homework. Take your time or buy an old entry level cheap to learn the ropes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scott

Lazydays gives you a 30 day warranty on used coaches they sell. The report on them is that they are doing bus. as usual and have a pre-packaged bankruptcy that will be settled soon. I agree with the previous advice on purchasing a Warranty policy .

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

Scott,

You might want to do a web search for owner's groups for the coach manufacturer you are interested in. You can get a lot of very specific info from folks who have owned coaches similar to the one you are looking at. What ever you do, take a good, long test drive before you sign.

The LD bankruptcy is a non issue. It seems to be a lighting rod event to some people because when you sell as many units as they do and have the kind of foot traffic in their dealership, there are going to be nay-sayers.

The terms their bankruptcy was agreed to by their creditors before the filing and the bond holders agreed to accept stock for bonds swap. If they did not believe strongly in the future of the company, they would have held on the their bonds.

Good luck,
Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be visiting Lazy Days 12/6-12/9 and should have some time in the afternoon of 12/7 & 12/8. Could look it over with you and offer my opinion. And it's worth exactly what you will be paying for it too! Nothing!

Email me if you want to talk more.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #7

I will be there Dec.3, at their Rally Park,for 3 days.
Which MH are you looking at?
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you RV Roamer and T. Mitchell, I will be down there on the 11th and 12th of Dec. If you are still down there at that time I would love for you to help me look it over. I am looking at the 2000 Winnebago Journey, it is the one with the old stlye Fire Engine on ther back. Scott
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry - won't be there on the 11th & 12th.

Do you have a deposit on the rig? [If not, it will probably be gone by then anyway.] What's the stock number? Or who is the salesman you are working with? I can try to take a look at it before you arrive and can let you know if I see anything out of the ordinary.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Id offer to look it over... but Im covered up with work.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #11

I will be in Lazy Day's, Rally Park tomorrow, Tuesday morning. We wont be there to buy a MH, just visiting people in the area.
Then we move on to Christmas,FL to attend a rally with some friends.
Send me a PM to let me know which MH you are interested in.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the help, I have put a deposit on it. I don't know the stock number but you can't miss it. It is a 2000 Winnebago Journey, It has a very nice old style Fire Engine on the rear. My sales person is Andrea. She has been very nice and helpful. Scott
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Can't miss it? Do you realize there are around 1000 RVs for sale at Lazydays? Even the used lot covers a couple acres.

I'll try to locate it next week unless Tom Mitchell finds it first..
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #14

Scott- iirc, LD has spaces w/hookups. Ask about checking into one, and over your couple of days- operate everything in the coach. Then get instructions on what you don't understand and repairs on what isn't functioning correctly. best method I know.