Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Exclamation Help Choosing Manufacturer for Full Time!!

Hello Everyone!

My boyfriend and I are about to close on our home and we plan to purchase an RV for full-time living. We will be staying local and driving it minimally so we do not think Diesel is necessary. We fell in love with a Thor Miramar 34.1, but I have been doing further searches to try to figure out what the best manufacturers are.
We live in New York, so the winters are very cold. The other ones I am interested in hearing thoughts on are the Newmar Baystar and the Itasca models (specifically like the Titan) Also any thoughts on Fleetwood?

ANY recommendations are SO APPRECIATED!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

I wouldn't buy anything made by "Snor" 😜 Do a search and you'll see why. Buy used, much, much cheaper!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜

Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help Choosing Manufacturer for Full Time!!

If you're going to live in the MH fulltime, you need something from a very high quality manufacturer to stand up to the daily usage. Many RVs are designed from the start with a half dozen camping trips per year in mind. You don't want one of those.

Personally, I think living in an RV in the winter in NY or New England is not a good idea, but that's up to you. If you're going to live in the MH fulltime in NY, you need something of a very high quality to stand up to the cold and the weather. Some motorhomes are built with metal studs and airspace filled with fiberglass insulation, like a house. Others have laminated walls with almost no insulation value at all. Your research should include the RV Consumer Group (www.rv.org). They evaluate and rate units on several factors, including quality of construction, based on owner reports and builder data.

If targeting one of the high quality builders disrupts your budget, just move back your target age until you can afford it. A 5-10 y/o MH from a top quality builder will still be a better unit than a brand-new low quality coach. Quality lasts. Fashion fades.

Good luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm117 View Post
Hello Everyone!

My boyfriend and I are about to close on our home and we plan to purchase an RV for full-time living. We will be staying local and driving it minimally so we do not think Diesel is necessary. We fell in love with a Thor Miramar 34.1, but I have been doing further searches to try to figure out what the best manufacturers are.
We live in New York, so the winters are very cold. The other ones I am interested in hearing thoughts on are the Newmar Baystar and the Itasca models (specifically like the Titan) Also any thoughts on Fleetwood?

Based on the above, I think you will be better off in a high quality 5th wheel trailer, several of which are intended for full-time living. Having a motorhome that is seldom driven isn't a great idea, IMO.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm117 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I hope you find the answer you are willing to live with.

Winnebago over the past years has had a very solid reputation. As of recently it seems to becoming another run of the mill RV manufacture. Quality control is on the deep down side.

As far as wintering in any RV is concerned it is not a great idea in the cold winter regions but it has been done. One Winnebago owner had to go to Forest City, IA to have work done on his rig at the factory in the dead of winter. Got down to -44*. All he lost was his water filter. So, it is possible.

My best advise is buy a used coach with the floor plan you are willing to live with. A residential refrigerator is a must. A stacked washer and dryer is a great feature.

This floor plan we have is great. We have all of the bells and whistles we need or want, plus a few that are excess for our life style. We found this coach online 1200 mi from where we were. We had seen it and wanted what it had. we worked a deal and drove the distance to trade. We are pleased. It is not perfect but it is home. We won't winter in the very cold by choice.

Happy hunting,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Based on the above, I think you will be better off in a high quality 5th wheel trailer, several of which are intended for full-time living. Having a motorhome that is seldom driven isn't a great idea, IMO.
This is a good, better, BEST response. 5ers are better equipped for cold weather and full time living if it is not being moved much or very far.

For initial purchase you could think about having the dealer deliver it and then make any moves using a towing or trailer company. Buy your truck when you start to move on a regular basis or move longer distances.

Big downside of the MH is the large front windows which are all single pane. Lots of issues with insulating them for winter weather.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Right now the top insulators in the motor home market are Entegra (1) and Newmar (2). Non of the others come close in R values. Entegra doesn't make a gas coach.

Used open a whole other can of worms, with a few manufactures having high R values. Triple R comes to mind, but I don't know what all they made.

For the use you describe, I too think a 5 wheel would suit you better. Lots of them a rated to well below zero. Something no class A manufacture will do.

All that said, we've been in our Dutch Star many time below zero. With not a care in the world, always 72 inside.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

Newmar
Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I own a Fleetwood Providence and also have owned a used 2003 FW Excursion. Both are very good coaches with above quality for their price point. They are not as heavily insulated as Newmar and Entegra but have points that are equal to both coaches. I don't know much about 5 ers but if your not going to travel much it's less expensive but use due diligence in your research regarding insulation. I would winter in our Coach with no reservations and have for the past two winters one in NC. No way I'm wintering in below zero temps in any coach or fifth wheel.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #10

Motorhome Magazine just did an article this month on small class A gas models. They did have a nice article about Newmars Bay Star, as well as others.

Good luck with your search and Happy Trails!!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #11

JFXG has some good wisdom right there .....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time