Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Help Choosing Used Diesel Pusher

I am interested in spending somewhere between $125,000 and $250,000 on a 38-45 foot motor home which is somewhere between the years 2006-2013. I started looking at a Foretravel and I really like the Phoenix, but the problem is there are not many available (if someone wants to sell one, let me know).

I have a lot of questions, but I would like to start with some help regarding the hierarchy in models within brands. It is my understanding that the Monaco Signature is the top-of-the-line model with the Executive just below it. Is my understanding that there are models that are practically the same made by Holiday Rambler and a few other companies, so I need the top two models within those brands? I would like someone to describe the hierarchy for Newmar, Beaver, Country Coach and any others that are similar in quality.

Thanks for any help
LOUISIANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA View Post
I am interested in spending somewhere between $125,000 and $250,000 on a 38-45 foot motor home which is somewhere between the years 2006-2013. I started looking at a Foretravel and I really like the Phoenix, but the problem is there are not many available (if someone wants to sell one, let me know).

I have a lot of questions, but I would like to start with some help regarding the hierarchy in models within brands. It is my understanding that the Monaco Signature is the top-of-the-line model with the Executive just below it. Is my understanding that there are models that are practically the same made by Holiday Rambler and a few other companies, so I need the top two models within those brands? I would like someone to describe the hierarchy for Newmar, Beaver, Country Coach and any others that are similar in quality.

Thanks for any help
Holiday Rambler (pre 2011)
Navigator
Imperial or Endeavor?

Beaver
Marquis
Patriot

Country Coach
Magna
Intrigue??
Old 05-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Good luck on your search. One tip, most of the higher end coaches never make it to being advertised. Many professional sales people have customers contact them and ask for help locating a coach. So for example if another customer is trading in a Foretravel, for whatever reason, and the Sales Professional knows that 'Bob' is interested in this model - the call is made, and that coach may never see the lot, or be advertised.

I looked for our current coach for about 6-9 months. Wasted good money and time traveling to see coaches advertised as 'Excellent' - to find they were in some cases pure rotting junk. So I asked around on many of the boards for recommendations on who to work with. Talked to a few Sales Professionals, and did get help finding and buying my coach as it was coming in the gate of Holland Motor Homes in San Diego on Consignment. No one ever went thru my coach but me, as I literally met it at the gate as it was brought in...

=====

Monaco Holiday Rambler (As I recall) Pecking Order:
Neptune
Ambassador
Endeaver
Endeaver SE
Scepter
Imperial
Navigator

Country Coach:
Tribute
Inspire
Allure
Intrigue
Magna
Affinity
(With a few special models Lexa, Rhapsody, and a couple of Prevost based older models. And the Veranda too.)

Beaver (Not a complete list, but the ones we considered.)
Patriot Thunder
Marquis

Monaco (Again not a complete list, but the ones on our short list.)
Dynasty (With a BIG BLOCK option. Only available in a few model years.)
Executive
Signature

You might also want to look at Newmar:
Mountain Aire (BIG BLOCK option, not in each model year.)
London Aire
King Aire

Other higher end models within the American Coach, Travel Supreme, Foretravel, Wanderlodge, Prevost Marathon were also on our short list.

Now this was in 2009 when we started our shopping, and I wanted pre heavy smog changes, so was looking at some models that maybe too old for you to want to consider now.

Best of luck to you on your search!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Add the Essex to the Newmar list.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #5

Our price range has always been much lower than yours (about a tenth, actually!). We have owned a Foretravel and are satisfied with our current Monaco Windsor.

Were I shopping today in your price range, I would not be considering anything but a Foretravel. I would be prepared to wait for the right one, and would think nothing of offering a 5 percent bonus above fair value to make the right deal happen.

You will likely get to know the little town of Nacogdoches pretty well.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a look at a Tiffin Zephyr. We full time and love ours. Very few problems and great support from Tiffin.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #7

We are also looking with a 200k +/- budget. We have settled on a Entegra Aspire or a Newmar Dutch Star. They both have all the options we want and seem like a coach that will last us 10 plus years.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Someone could get a heck of a deal on a Newell.

2000 Newell Coach- "Baccarat" Custom Millenium Edition | eBay

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend looking at the current inventory available from Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches.
It appears they have several used Foretravels (including a Phenix), several Country Coaches, American Eagle, a Monaco Signature and a Newmar Essex.

Good people there. Might have what you want.
Road Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Maybe not in your year model range, but in your price range, there is a nice Liberty Prevost out there for you. Liberty is probably the best Prevost converter out there, IMHO, and the Prevost coaches are pretty much bullet proof.
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Check out Motorhomes of Texas at Nacogdoches, TX. This is the city where Foretravels are built and MoT have a number of used Foretravel motor homes for sale.

Good Luck!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
We are also looking with a 200k +/- budget. We have settled on a Entegra Aspire or a Newmar Dutch Star. They both have all the options we want and seem like a coach that will last us 10 plus years.
I am a little biased I know, but am with Mark D here. I think you should give Entegra a look. I see you are already a member of the Foretravel Owners Club so maybe you have one or have already made up your mind?

We wanted the newest coach with the highest quality we could fit in the budget. Entegra and Newmar build some great coaches and come in well under Foretravel and Prevost prices. Sorry but Tiffin is not in that same class not even the Zephyr, IMO.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #13

One thing you should consider is, high-end coach or not, whether the brand is still in production (availability of parts & support). Not necessarily a deal breaker, as Beaver and Monaco made some excellent coaches (e.g., Patriot Thunder and Signature).

Re: Blondiega1 - That is an amazing renovation on the 2000 Newell. Thanks for sharing the link. May be a tad glitzy for some folks, but WOW! Even though this coach will not appeal to a wide segment of the market, I have to believe there are several buyers for this out there and it probably won't be on the market long.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
That is very helpful. Can you describe the pecking order within American Coach, and Travel Supreme. Another BIG question is what is most desirable, a newer less expensive coach (examples?) or an older more expensive coach (the ones we have listed here).

Additionally, I have heard that the Prevost conversions have electrical problems and that many do not come with wiring diagrams? My dad had a 1978 Bluebird that he let me use when starting at 19 years old (he was generous, crazy and I had the TIME OF MY LIFE IN THAT THING) and I must say I have seen nothing built as well, but it had electrical problems and I want nothing to do with that AGAIN. Maybe it was an unusual situation, so I might consider another one, but can you find a 4 slide model?
LOUISIANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel