RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Help Diagnosing oil analysis

Hello Newbie here and looking to buy my first RV. I went through the inspection and the only thing that is sticking out to me is the oil analysis. can someone way more knowledgeable than me help me understand this report? TIA!
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	269073

brian80013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Call the company that did the oil test. They should be able to explain the test results and give recommendations. Your posted report is too hard to see.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

The description says within specs test again in 5000 miles.

Unless there's a really big problem the first oil analysis is baseline and then the subsequent tests are used to compare AFAIK.

Did you do the rest of the inspection yourself or have it done?

Good luck!

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

The description says within specs test again in 5000 miles.

Unless there's a really big problem the first oil analysis is baseline and then the subsequent tests are used to compare AFAIK.

Did you do the rest of the inspection yourself or have it done?

Good luck!
Hello and thanks for the Reply. I had someone do the inspection. The Rig is in another state and I am trying to determine if this sample should give me red flags to keep looking.
brian80013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Run another in 100 hours per the reccomend note on the report

The only analyte flagged was Al which could be from the oil cooler or as noted piston wear

A trend over several analyses is very useful at similar hour intervals
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #6

I pull a sample on every oil change and they go to Peterson Cat. This motor has 9000mi on the oil and 157k on the motor and the Aluminum is a little high. If the price is good I would change the oil and filter and sample in 5000mi. Did you pull a sample on the coolant. I run Cat ELC and my steel and copper went up so I did a flush and then went back with Cat coolant.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #7

My question would be test method for pulling sample. At work when we pull nine industrial compressos oil samples its at near operating temp ,with that the oil being circulated for a while.
That way we are not pulling a stratified sample from bottom of sump. The synthetic oil in the screw compressors is really expensive.
Good luck with your decision and purchase..
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian80013 View Post
Hello and thanks for the Reply. I had someone do the inspection. The Rig is in another state and I am trying to determine if this sample should give me red flags to keep looking.

What does the inspector say about the level of AL in the sample. If they know what they are doing they should be able to provide some insight, if not I'd question the rest of the report.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

The main thing this test tells me is that the owner doesn't change oil that often. (9000 miles on the oil? With the least wearing type of driving, 10k is max, and most people don't drive that sedately.)

But, given that the oil has been in the engine that long, and that the engine has 157,000 miles on it, the test isn't alarming to me at all. The longer the oil is in place, the higher the numbers will be.

Aluminum is slightly high, but that is likely exaggerated by the long oil-change interval. AL comes off piston skirting, usually.

The moly component is good - that's an anti-wear additive, so you want it to be high.

If you want a good lesson on reading these tests, go here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

If you want to know anything about engines and/or oil, poke around the site - especially the forums.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote