Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

HELP!!! DW says the CC Magna is too big - $125k to spend on 34'

And I kind of agree..

So we just bought our 2004 Country Coach Magna.
Drove it back from Florida to Arizona and yeah..
It is big and awesome, but I honestly like the smaller coaches.

But I still want safe, and reliable. Simple.

NBD...
Just gotta clean this one up, sell it and find something else.

We went looking at Newmars the other day.
They have a nice 33' DP, but out of my price range..

I am paying cash and don't want to go over $125k

Here is what I am thinking:
32-35' DP
Cummins ISL (or 400 hp 1200 trq range)
Allison 4k (i'd take 3k and might have to at this length)
2007 - 2011 (pre DEF would be ideal though)
3 slides (2 is fine if they are both up front)
Slides on rails from the bottom (for tighter interior space)
-7' interior height

After that, here are some of the goodies I'd like, but won't argue:

-Residential fridge
-2 bathroom sinks
-Decent sized shower
-Jake brake
-Auqa hot or similar
-Double pane glass
-15k AC units
-10k Onan

I love how sexy the new coaches look but I can't justify dropping $300k just because of the interior.
Newmar has a few gassers that are pretty inexpensive but still. Gas..

I'd love some suggestions
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

During the 1990's Beaver built a 34' DP, I think Gulf Stream did also.There are several different diesel pullers on the market. Keep in mind today's gas engines will, when properly maintained and driven, go for over 200,000 miles before needing an overhaul.
Something else to consider, Ford has a completely new V8 push-rod engine debuting in 2020 to replace the old reliable OHC V10. This new engine is designed for use in everything from the F250 up to and including the F750, which should include the Ford F53 MH chassis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
During the 1990's Beaver built a 34' DP, I think Gulf Stream did also.There are several different diesel pullers on the market. Keep in mind today's gas engines will, when properly maintained and driven, go for over 200,000 miles before needing an overhaul.
Something else to consider, Ford has a completely new V8 push-rod engine debuting in 2020 to replace the old reliable OHC V10. This new engine is designed for use in everything from the F250 up to and including the F750, which should include the Ford F53 MH chassis.
Thanks..
I love the look of the Newmar gassers but man.
The power is so lacking.
So much better with diesel.
Ideally, I'd love an cummins ISM.. Huge power and reliability.
ISL is the next one down that I'd take.

I just cannot see myself ever going back to gas..
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't think you will find a 32-35' coach with a 10K generator .
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #5

Here is a nice shorter coach. We had an 03 Alpenlite 5er and loved it, one of the best 5ers ever made. I also like there coaches.
https://www.maplegroverv.com/sales/p...alpine-36fdts/
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #6

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 32' to 35' DP that would satisfy everything you listed. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that you will not find a coach with everything you've mentioned.

A 32-35' DP with an ISL or ISM? I can't think of one right now. (eta: If you can find an older 34' Foretravel U270 or similar model, it should have an ISL 400 HP but I think it only had one slide --second eta: here's a 2004 U270 34-foot for $132,500 but one slide)

You may be able to get close to what you're looking for if you raised your $125k price range, or move to at least a 36' coach, or be willing to go for an older than 2007 model year coach. But I'm almost positive you won't find a DP 35' or under with an ISL or ISM for $125k, let alone 2 sinks in the bathroom that will be newer than 12 years old.

Foretravel may be what to look for that might come the closest to having all that you want but, again, it won't have every single thing you have listed. I think they had a few models back then that were in the 34-35' lengths.

Here's an example of a 2007 Foretravel Nimbus in a 36' length, asking $159,500

eta: yeah, that Alpine that 2 stroker linked may be a bit closer to what you're looking for than the Foretravel linked above but both are 36' coaches.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Hah! ...sorry about that but I see that the ad is from 2013, LOL.

But it shows that there is a 34' coach with an ISL. I think Foretravel will be one of the few, if there are in fact any others, that did offer a 34' coach with an ISL.

And I believe that three slides on a 35' or under coach will be difficult if not impossible to find too.

Hopefully somebody else will prove me wrong (as those here know, I often am )
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
FIRST!!!
I Suggest that you spend a few trips in the present coach..Get comfortable with it...
Then after 10k miles or so if you still feel that it is too big...THEN sell and buy a smaller one..
Give the one you have a "fair shake" first..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
FIRST!!!
I Suggest that you spend a few trips in the present coach..Get comfortable with it...
Then after 10k miles or so if you still feel that it is too big...THEN sell and buy a smaller one..
Give the one you have a "fair shake" first..
X-2!!

Excellent advice.
Russ Potteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
X3 A shorter rig is only that...shorter as it’s the same width and many are just as high. Pulling a heavy 24’ trailer with a underpowered short 34’ DP will be interesting...not fun.

Put off remodeling it, go take a driving school, and grow a set...for the wife.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Four thousand more gets you this 32-foot, 400 HP ISL, side-radiator hot rod. Bet they will take your Magna in trade:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...ure-5005344481

Slightly less expensive CC, same dealer:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...Tie-5007053951

RVtrader search for Country Coaches 36 feet and under.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Country-Coa...t=price%3Adesc
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Darn few coaches that size will have an ISL engine and the Allison 4000 isn't used with an ISL anyway. Have to be an ISM or ISX to need the higher rated 4000 vs the 3000. And darn few coaches that size will have a 10k genset - the Onan 7500 or 8000 is pretty much standard. Basically everything you want is typically found only on larger coaches, simply because the buyers for those near always want all the upscale features as well.

Tiffin makes some pretty nice 32-35 foot DPs, and so does Winnebago. The nicest ones, though, will be an older Country Coach, like that Intrigue above. [IMO, way overpriced for its age and size, though.] Beaver/Safari had some nice 34-35 footers too, but those were mostly two slide (lounge + bedroom).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #13

Seems that starting out with a slightly smaller yet quite a bit newer coach was some of the advice you were given before you just had to have this CC.

Wasnt your original budget $125k for the coach and $20k for remodeling, upgrades and fixing anything that was broke?

You could have gotten a dang nice coach with most of what you currently want for $150k.

Sorry you are having buyers remorse on the CC.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

My only input on this is your signature says “Until we go full time”. Is that relatively soon, using the MH your are now purchasing(purchased)? We’re not even considering doing so, but that’s us. But what I do know, is that were we to go full time we would want the bigger unit for various reasons. One being multiple bathrooms, not just two sinks. Make sure you have room for all your and her toys or %&$* you wont get rid of. Good hunting.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote