Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotions54 View Post
hello guys i have a
2000 Fleetwood
Bounder 39Z
84k miles
freedom 458 inverter/charger

this is a new to me coach i bought from the original owner we have driven it 300 miles and just road testing it now its time to go camping, while being plugged in at the house (15 amp receptacle ) to charge up the house batteries i have been shocked !!! this isn't something that happens all the time i have noticed it two times while working under the coach. my understanding is the freedom inverter /charger has a bounding neutral/ ground and when shore power is applied a relay separates them. could this be my issue ? when this has happened i have checked everything i can think of. if i unplug and plug back in the issue seems to go away. i have checked polarity going into coach and inside and all seems ok any help would be much appreciated thanks all !!!
I just took a class where, among other things, we checked for hot skins on RVs. There are many ways you can do this test, but I'll list how we did it and you can take it or leave it.

The procedure we used was to first get a voltmeter, and connect the black lead to a good ground. There are a lot of different ways you can do that. Our instructor had modified an extension cord so that ONLY the ground wire was in use. The male end of the plug was plugged into the RV pedestal for the ground (the hot and neutral wires of the extension cord were safely removed). The other end of the ground wire of the extension cord had an alligator clip attached to it and that was clipped to the black lead of the voltmeter. You would then use the other voltmeter lead to probe for the leaky electricity.

Set the voltmeter so you can read 120V.
Put the red (probing) lead of the voltmeter to a hot electrical outlet. You should read 120V. Now you know your voltmeter and wiring are working.
De-power the entire RV, turn off your inverter, and trip all of your AC circuit breakers.

Then you start probing your RV with the red lead. Touch the red lead to door handles, steps, window frames, wheels and wheel covers, stabilizer jacks, whatever has exposed metal. If you're reading voltage, then you know you have a hot skin. You're completely de-powered now, so you shouldn't read any voltage.

Turn on one circuit breaker at a time, while keeping all others off (or maybe just turn your inverter on first since you think that might be the problem), and start probing for voltage as described above.

When you turn a circuit on (all others should be off) and you're reading voltage, well then you know you've found your problem circuit.

Then you have to take a close look at that circuit and all the items connected to it and see what's causing the problem.

The literature we were using stated that one of the most common causes of hot skin has been a mis-wired, damaged, or defective power cord.

Good luck finding your leak.

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Look Bud! You are about 1 millionth of a milisecond from becoming short circuit and DEAD. You are guessing the cause and could up DEAD WRONG. Or.... your wife, kid, grand kid, or pup! Quit guessing! Get professional help!!!
Hire an electrician ASAP. Your dealing with a lethel problem.
Vicr
IBEW Local 46
Seattle, WA

Old 06-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotions54 View Post
today i went out to check things out and grabbed the ladder and put my knee on the ground and i was shocked, it felt like a 120 shock as i have been shocked before, i unplugged and plugged back in and it was gone i am thinking it has something to do with the inverter, if it was a short wouldn't it be there all the time ? its not tripping any breakers thanks
If and when you're not plugged in to shore or with genset off and you feel a shock (usually 90v and above is the pain threshold and depending on your skin resistance) then it would have to be coming from the inverter, as there is no other 120vac source available. With shore or genset power and inverter off, you'd have to bet on incoming power and I would first verify that the ground wire was intact between the coach and it's source. With it not being there all the time, there seems to be a capacitive effect going on here or it's just that you're somehow increasing your body's resistance and maybe by just being in a different position.
As for the danger of electrocution, it's unlikely in this case for a seemingly healthy individual and passage of current from hand to foot is a lot better than from hand to hand and where there's a better chance of it passing through one's heart. As an added note and even though H20 is an insulator, contaminated water is not and in fact a very good conductor, so being in a wet area would not be a good thing during these occurrences.
None of this is much fun however and every precaution should be taken.
I for one, will never figure out how one can feel a shock by being in between a voltage source and say wood, tile or even concrete and where the resistance through these materials must be low enough for the the passage of current to make it back to the source, which in most all cases, is a transformer secondary winding tap. Meanwhile I'm betting it very difficult for getting a 12v bulb to light up, under the same circumstances.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Go with UALDRIVER-Bad power cord at the RV or your extension cord. The cord might be fine some times, but a wire could 'open' with the slightest twist.
Don't over complicate it, replace the cord first.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do the simplest things first. Start by plugging into another outlet. If you're using an extension cord, attached to your coach cord, try another extension. If not resolved, move onto the next level of testing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
My two cents is you must prove where the fault is before fixing. Otherwise, since the problem is intermittent, you might "think" it is fixed when it isn't.

The possibility of getting shocked is very serious. Be certain the problem is found before letting anyone use the coach.

jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical