Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Start with USED. Most likely you'll up grade in a few years and no need taking the hit of buying new twice! If it makes you feel better get an extended warrant thrown in the deal, but new and used all have problems, but the new ones have the really big depreciation hit the first 4 to 5 years

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #16

It will be dificult to provide any wortwhile advice without having some idea of your budget. Typical answers to a question like yours is; "Get one like mine, they're the best!". Warranties only help to a certain degree--it doesn't help to know the financial side is covered if the RV spends half the time in the shop. How fixed are you on the length? You will find a larger RV is not a problem handling once you get used to the length. The only reason to stay short is if you go into campgrounds with limited space. It will be very difficult to find a motorhome less than 33 feet that has exceptional fit and finish--but you don't need to go to a Prevost either. There are a lot of good motorhomes in the 36/38-foot range that are good quality. I highly recommend an older higher-line coach, and get an expert inspection done on it. Keep in mind, all the system in a coach can be replaced. But find a floor plan that works for you, and start looking for an older coach that meets you needs.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the last two posts. I went used with my first and present RV. I already know what my next and new RV will be.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #18

Thanks for all the great advice. It's good to know when we get closer to a purchase there is a good place to go for feedback.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #19

Winnebago Sunova 33c

My wife and I are very happy with the quality and workmanship of this gas coach. Great for family of three since it haste foldout couch with inflatable mattress. Layout is perfect. Ours is a 2011 that I purchased new last year.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #20

I would recommend looking at used Winnebago's. Great medium priced motorhomes. Solid construction, good materials & design. Simply look at how they organize and label their wiring, and you'll see a major difference that the cheaper coaches don't match.

Plus, they have been in business continually for decades, and the factory support is quite good. I vote Winnebago for best bang for the buck in medium price gas coaches.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want to get into used for starters their are allot of good used coach's out there also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #22

I'm not going to suggest you buy a MH similar to what I'm looking at or own. I'm going to suggest that you've likely looked at enough MH's to start weeding out the ones you have no interest in, and try to focus ONLY on the ones you've liked? The sharper you can get that focus, the easier the buying decision becomes.

Start with a length, then a floor plan, then chassis/power. With just those decisions made, you can start weeding out MH mfg's. Then sharpen the focus further with colors and option availability, etc.?

If you keep looking at everything available, or listening to people regarding THEIR opinions, you're never gong to refine your own or be comfortable with any buying decision you make after the fact....

I could never bring myself to buy new. I have to thank those that do though, for making the selections I have to pick from possible...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #23

Of the many posts I've read there seems to be a bias toward Newmar products when it comes to fit-finish and quality. As far as customer service, Tiffin seems to top the list in that arena, again from posts I've read.

Good luck with your choice...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Last year my wife retired and we acquired a new Tiffin motorhome. Our plans at that time were to "anytime" but move our place of residence to someplace we preferred to live. Plans change and now we are planning to fulltime and will be in the market of a bigger coach.

We confined our new search to what we consider the three best - Tiffin, Winnebago, and Newmar. We can't find any Newmars within 200 miles of us (dealers, but no inventory to look at) and my wife doesn't like their floorplans. We looked at Winnebagos but were not happy with their floorplans either. We have found several Tiffin floorplans that would work for us, however.

Given how you state you want to use your motorhome, I'd recommend that you look at gas units from one of the big three and a newer (2011 or newer) coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #25

Alergo Bus end of story.

Ps whatever you get make sure it has a king size bed. I was surprised looking a few weeks ago just how many 40' footers have a king bed.

Check the date on the tires and the batteries. Make sure everything works and take your time. But most of all it must work for you and your family

Bigd
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No King bed for me,can't find my sweetie. Jim
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No King bed for me,can't find my sweetie. Jim

X2 on this Jim, or when I do find her I'm too pooped to pucker.
I agree that floor plan then chassis/power is a good way to prioritize your search. Also, the recommendation to start with used.
Case in point - I got a used MH prior to retirement to learn about motorhomes. I had planned to upgrade once I got some practical knowledge.
3 years later, I ended up liking the one I found so well that we kept it and don't have plans to upgrade soon - and it was quite an economical way to go.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We belonged to an RV club for many years. There were only 12 MH's in the club, one was a Prevost, one (my parents) was a Foretravel, and six of the rest were Newmars. Got tired of fixing the '98 Santara cabinets almost every time out and we were familiar with ForeTravel and Newmar quality so we ordered a Newmar in 2000, then again in 2002 (wanted more room and slides).
Our present DSDP is great and I haven't had to repair a cabinet in the whole time we've had it.
They aren't cheap so they aren't for everyone, but you won't regret it if you can find a used one.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote