Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Help! Expert Advice Needed, Cross-Eyed Looking At Coaches

With floor plans being equal, the gas or DP out of the equation. Taking the salesman and manufacturer pitch out of the equation.

. Fit and Finish
. Warranty
. Customer Service
. Coach Reliability
. 31-33 Ft length
. Odds of getting a good coach the first time

What manufacturers would make the top two to three to look at? I've looked at them all, and the lines are getting real blurry.

Small family of three. Plan to take short trips and hopefully several longer trips each year. I'd like to do more research and make a buy next year sometime. I know that sounds a ways out, but that's the way I work with major purchases.

After staring at coaches and listening to the sales and manufacturers for weeks, it would be nice to receive expert feedback from the people that actually use these coaches. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
if you want top of the line and fit and finish,have you looked at the "Prevost" or the "Newell" Coaches?

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Looking to stay in the 31-33 ft range.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd look at Allegro (Tiffin). My personal preference is to avoid Thor (fit and finish, attention to detail)

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
look at a dynamax isata 282, stay with a 06-05 MY, cost around $50kish. They are hard to find. Twin beds, compact, fold out couch, build solid.
Kasebeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Here are a couple of threads that may provide some perspective.
There are so many types/styles to choose from!

Thinking of a Class C

Researching Class A's
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
We started close to two years out.

I recommend going to RV shows. Make sure it's a large RV show that is put on by someone other than just a single dealer.

We went to Hershey and Pittsburgh. I see you are out west. I'm sure they have similar shows out there. They are usually in the winter.

Look out for a dealer-sponsored RV show. They are nothing more than a glorified sales event, like a tent sale. Go to a show that has multiple dealers and preferably factory reps there. Walk through all the brands.

We had a check list and rated all the bunkhouses. That came in handy after the fact. We were able to eliminate some and went to another show to follow up with our short list.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

Well I guess I'll put my 2 cents in and I would Recommend a Winnebago Adventurer 33' Gas motorhome. It has 2 Slides and sleeps six. We have an 04 Adventurer but know of an 05 Winnebago Adventurer 33' that is for sale. It is on a Workhorse Chassis with 8.1l engine and Alison Transmission.

My coach has 53k on it and we love it so much so we took it to AK and back and stayed in it for 3 months.

If you want to check out Winnebago Motorhomes go to Winnebago Industries. They have brochures, floor plans and specs for older units and new ones too.

Good Luck!
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Thanks, we plan to go to a show the last weekend of May. I've purchased the ratings book on RV.org. With the 2014 models coming out it's always tempting to chase the new changes. The ratings book is somewhat helpful, but adds additional confusion. I haven't found the sweet spot of feeling good about any of the manufacturers. I spent many years in the boating industry and the same thing was true there also.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Make a list of what you want, go by the list.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Look for mfgs still in business. I've heard excellent reports on Tiffin in Red Bay, Al. The owner stands behind his products pretty much forever from what I hear. There's a lot of buzz about how new rigs can spend half the first year in the shop. When you do pick one, be sure to pay an inspector to go over it even if it's new. If you can do the inspection thoroughly all the better. I would expect more of the upper end units.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
i would recommend tiffin also. i had a winnibago and it had a very tinny sound going down the road, they put their coachs on too small a chassis, and their electrical management system was terrible. customer service with the winny was nowhere as good as with the tiffin either.
alv3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Hi usinvestment,
Consider adding two important items to your list.
1. Will the coach tow the vehicle you want to tow.
2. Will the coach carry all the fluids, all your stuff and all of you.

Next, look at a coach in three floor plan setups.
1. Travel (slides in) Can you get to what you want to get to with the slides in. Can your family travel with the slides in?
2. Campsite - Slides out and furniture set up.
3. Sleeping - All furniture turned onto a bed. Does this work for your family?

Both these questions are weight calculations that must be made. A very few can be estimated. You'll be surprised which brands will fall off the list.

Based on the OP, make sure the weights are okay and that coach can be considered. Based on the information in the OP, let the wife decide. Really, after the first year, the coach is yours. They all work, your usage will be low. If the wife is happy,,,,,, you know the rest.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
The Newmar Bay Star may be in your range small to larger floor plans are available.
Many options, full wall slide, rear window for a couple.
The floor plan is what most are satisfied with and people buy.
Good luck in your quest.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote