Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Help find motorhome models

Hello looking for suggestions on used class A motorhomes that would be worth looking at thats under 30 feet around model years 2000 - 2004. This would be our first motorhome. We have been looking at the ads but with so many units out there it's just to much information to take in. I want to stay focus on what we're looking for but not knowing the models I have to look at everything and it's getting frustrating.

We're getting ready for retirement in the next 3 years and one of the things we want to do is get a used motorhome and get it in shape to do a little traveling when we retire.

We want something that's not obsolete and parts & information is still available and ideally the manufacture is still in business.

What models should we be looking at under 30 foot that would be a good consideration. Want something known for its reliability. Also want to tow a 4,400 pound jeep wrangles unlimited rubicon. Looking to spend around $20k

Thank you for your help
Lynn
LJV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. You might want to post what budget you're going to be operating with.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

I put your criteria in RVT.com using $30k as max price (everything is negotiable) and came up with 84 motorhomes. Note if you go to 32 feet or even longer, you may get a better selection. Our first motorhome was 34 feet, and we got used to it pretty quick.
Good luck!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Hello, we wanted to try to stay under 30 foot because it's easier to drive in the state campgrounds with all the tight turns. Also this being our first, and last class A motorhome I'm a little worried about driving something so long and wide, never had to drive anything like it. Plus we will be towing a jeep on occasion and that even add to the length.

Lynn
LJV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

I would expand your options to 35-36 foot putting more importance on floor plan rather than length. In almost all cases if a 30 foot will fit so will a 35. There are some national parks that have length limits, I think 35 but not sure. Even then it's is. to a problem as there are Parker's in the immediate area that happily support much larger a rigs.
As for towing, don't worry about it. The toad follows the MH so well, that if the MH clears the curb or obsitcal, so will the toad. Again, the length of the MH just doesn't make a difference in that respect.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #6

You didn't specify if you wanted a Diesel or a Gas unit so I opted to find a Gas unit meeting your criteria. Bounder by Winnebago is still in business, and PPL is a great place to do business. They are located in Huston, Tx, and you can fly in, they will pick you up and take you to their location. Or you can drive your Jeep, you are thinking about a TOAD aren't you? And they can set up the motorhome and the toad at their location....for a price.
Take a look around at their web site they have a large selection of both diesel and gas units, class a, b and c's.
Here's a link to the Bounder, really nice unit, I love the big Chevy engine 8.1 liters vice 6.8 for the big Fords. I have owned both and prefer the Chevy, just my opinion.
The Chevy is a big V8 and the Ford is a V10. Both have had problems the 1999 2000 versions of the Ford likes to launch spark plugs. The workhorse has problems with the parking brake and the brakes. But buying used ones ASK if the Modifications have been done on the braking system and get it in WRITING.
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D for Sale - A739 - PPL Motor Homes
Hope this helps,
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome