Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Help finding an RV

I'm looking to purchase my first RV in a year or less and am trying to make the best decision I can. I plan to expand my photography business from selling at regional shows to selling across the country. Am thinking diesel for the towing advantage as I will be pulling a vehicle with most of my display equipment. Also need plenty of storage space in the RV. Considered a toy hauler but the floor plans usually have the bed above the garage and that won't pass my wife's acceptable list. Will have a budget of about $125k so am looking at around a 2008 or so Phaeton or something comparable. But again I'm just starting the search. We'll probably be spending four to six months a year in it so we want something comfortable. Would love to hear any suggestions Anyone might have especially if your using your coach in a similar manner.
Tinkertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Tow Capability

Sounds like you'll be pulling a trailer so you need to consider towing capability.

Unless you tow a large 24' trailer, you won't get a car in it and your retail gear.

This is likely your largest challenge.

JohnnyB
Old 11-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A late welcome to irv2.
Here is a link to toy haulers that should help get you started and here is a link to help answer some questions that will be coming also.
Here is a link for 5th wheel toy haulers.
Good luck in your hunt enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You should look again at Toy Haulers, actually most bedrooms are over the 5th wheel area.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertom View Post
I'm looking to purchase my first RV in a year or less and am trying to make the best decision I can. I plan to expand my photography business from selling at regional shows to selling across the country. Am thinking diesel for the towing advantage as I will be pulling a vehicle with most of my display equipment. Also need plenty of storage space in the RV. Considered a toy hauler but the floor plans usually have the bed above the garage and that won't pass my wife's acceptable list. Will have a budget of about $125k so am looking at around a 2008 or so Phaeton or something comparable. But again I'm just starting the search. We'll probably be spending four to six months a year in it so we want something comfortable. Would love to hear any suggestions Anyone might have especially if your using your coach in a similar manner.
The only Class A Toy hauler with the front overhead dropdown bunk is the Outlaw's 37LS and 37MD.

Both Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler's (3920 and 3921) have dedicated mid-coach formal bedrooms and no front bunk.

The Outlaw 37MD has a dedicated mid-coach multi-purpose room (folding sofa bed) a dedicated loft AND the front bunk.

The reason I suggest the in-coach garage for any on-the-road business is 2 fold:
-Trailers bounce around - a lot. Photo stuff or any product in a trailer will have a wild ride and require packing for driving.
-Towing a trailer precludes the towing of a car for getting around town. Picking-up a Class A to run for milk and bread (or to move material to/from a show) is possible, but most long/full timers tow a car or SUV.

We attend several large dog show/expo events each year (with a St. Bernard Rescue) and the RV stays at the campground - the toad SUV (with all our stuff - awnings, tables, and dogs) gets driven to the event and back. Several shows DO NOT let you get anywhere near the venue with an RV.

The Phaeton and similar RV's in that segment (multi-slide Diesel Pushers) are beautiful coaches, so only you can decide what you want and need.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

Any thoughts on a 33 Allegro Red vs. a 35 or 36 Allegro. First timers and a bit concerned that a few RV sites I have contacted can not accommodate the large RV's (like some of the Yellowstone sites). We will be towing a 4400 lb. suv. Appreciate your help.
jcbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the Haulmark type Class C, most of these have a separate bedroom and still have garage area plus they are mounted on a heavier chassis that provides for towing and the carrying capacity to actually being able to carry equipment or supplies. What ever you look at make sure the CCC is high enough.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to rv.org buy their product it will be the best money you spend on your RV. Then go to oodle.com punch in what you want and then check the right boxes and it will send you daily updates.
Good Luck and Happy hunting

ps you will find responses to your question evolving away from your original question.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
This seems to be a nice rig. Engine gets broken in at about 30-40,000 miles so the mileage is not a turn off. Looks well maintained and has radiant heat floors and aqua hot.

2004 Country Coach Allure 42' Tag Axle, Mesa AZ - 113421531 - RVTrader.com
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote