Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #29

went from Gas to Diesel, though it wasn't MY idea!

I had this same gas/diesel back-n-forth in my mind at our last trade-in for a new RV - the outcome is good, though...

We started with a nice 2013 Blackwood bunk house fifth-wheel and Dodge 3500 diesel pull vehicle. Both very nice, but later my aggravations and concerns about the constant hooking-unhooking of the unit gave way to a Class A trade-in.(we travel a LOT!)
Traded in the combination for a new 2014 GeorgetownXL Class A gas. I wanted gas since that's what I'm used to, easy to understand, and lower maintenance and fuel cost. Well, great, but the floor plan did not work for us after several weeks of real-world traveling.
We actually went back to trade it in for a Class A gas Thor Challenger bunk house.
Here's where it gets good...
The unit had not yet 'arrived' at the dealership, so we had some time on our hands and the urge to look at all the other units on the huge lot while we waited. I was not even in the market for a diesel. My wife didnt' care what type of engine, she wanted the floor plan that works best for us. She won. The 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunk house swayed us into a Class A diesel pusher - or ME, I should say. I was not accustomed to air ride, air brakes, or air anything. I was not accustomed to a keypad input, with no shifter, or even no emergency foot brake.
My fears were quickly relieved. The first mountains, the great Tennessee Smokies, quickly schooled me on the great benefits of a diesel(300hp cummings), and also the 'exhaust brake' feature. What a relief!
The larger generators in diesels also is a benefit since I have no problem running both 15k a/c's, and more, if needed.
In 18k miles across the country at least twice, I have added maybe 1/2 qt of oil to this baby, and nothing else! I finally had my first oil change at CW and the cost was only $185, not too bad considering my initial hesitations concerning the maintenance cost between gas and diesel.
The Turners : )

p.s., we're towing 4 down a 2014 Ford Fiesta SE front wheel drive automatic - just put in neutral and go - we don't even know it's there!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #30

By all means, if you like the Journey and it checks out ok. Get it!! If the tires are 7 years old, get the dealer to put new ones on.

Sooner you buy, the sooner you can enjoy! Floor plan is what matters.

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
if ya can twist the filter off your V10 you can change the oil in the diesel, its not rocket science, yes there is more oil and the filter is bigger but that's it, gas generators require same maintenance, filter and oil, again not rocket science, air dryers a part of a superior braking system which typically comes with heavier units where gas would not be an option, getting rid of oil, really, they get paid for the old oil, and fuel separators, again, if you can take your gas engine oil filter off you can do the fuel separators every year or two. diesel smell in the bedroom from having the hatch open, again really, did ya run the engine with the hatch open, that would be your fault no the engine's, Your 39 triple slide is a beautiful coach and at the outside limit of the V10's capability, and Ill bet she does scream up the big hills, even worse if you happen to be pulling anything of significance, Im sure you have good intentions but misinformation is not helping others make informed decision,

Moxy
Just giving my opinion based on my real life experience. No misinformation involved and certainly no cause for such a hostile response. My experience is what it is and so is my opinion. Never ran engine with hatch open. No auto parts/garage locally ever has an empty used oil tank. The gasser does just fine on hills although it can be noisy when the clutch fan kicks in. I hope my posts do not cause others to make decisions they later regret. I also wouldn't want others to think they can accomplish maintenance tasks that they are not up to. I'm sorry my post and my ability to perform basic vehicle maintenance is so disappointing to you.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
A gas unit will take you anywhere you want to go, mine has for the last 60,000 miles.
That's a true statement (says one who is trading a 41' DP, ISC 350 with Banks kit for a 45' DP with ISX 650!)
But it's true, in the rigs up to about 35'-37' a gas engine will do just fine and usually outlast the driver, plus they're sometimes cheaper to maintain, although I do my own maintenance to keep costs down.
I wanted a diesel so we bought one, but our budget was in the several $100,000's too. Do I regret it? Not at all since you can't take it with you and I don't want to leave it to the kids!
Buy what suits you!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
The Cat 3126/C7 is a great engine, no mileage concerns to worry about there. It was/is such a popular engine that Cat makes a crate replacement. So cheap it's almost cheaper then rebuilding.
Actually it's a native bore engine so there are no wet liners to replace. They call them "throw away engines" because that's what you do with them rather than rebuild them. Although I'm sure that somewhere someone has rebuilt one.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Just giving my opinion based on my real life experience. No misinformation involved and certainly no cause for such a hostile response. My experience is what it is and so is my opinion. Never ran engine with hatch open. No auto parts/garage locally ever has an empty used oil tank. The gasser does just fine on hills although it can be noisy when the clutch fan kicks in. I hope my posts do not cause others to make decisions they later regret. I also wouldn't want others to think they can accomplish maintenance tasks that they are not up to. I'm sorry my post and my ability to perform basic vehicle maintenance is so disappointing to you.
WE always take MOXY with a grain of salt.....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I would insist on a full service, oil, filters, trans fluid, tires if seven years old. Take a creeper to the dealer and crawl under and inspect front to back. If it leaks make them fix it. You can see the brake pads from backside of the drums. Check the roof for needed repair. Make them turn EVERYTHING on and see it working. Turn on all lights and gismos. Ask for maint records and any manuals they have on the coach. Verify that all promised repairs are completed before making final payment. If you really like the coach put up a large deposit ($5,000) and make final payment when everything promised is completed. If your REPUTABLE dealer balks at the idea...walk away. You always have to be willing to walk away. They won't let you....money is power. Do not sign an AS IS paper. That is understood when you make the final payment. When it comes to buying motorhomes, TRUST in a dirty word.
You are picking a good rig and you will be glad you went diesel...Gary
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post

Hostile response, ya okay, you posted that your coach smelled of diesel after opening the engine hatch in bedroom, I'm on my second DP and my 10th oil change, never had the bedroom smell, so why does yours? That comment alone would lead people astray, who wants a smelly bedroom, generator needs more maintenance, it does? please explain, again leads people to believe there is additional maintenance, which there isn't, oil, filter, air and fuel filters based on use, exactly the same as gas gennys which I have had several, cant get ride of oil, you can get rid of 8 quarts but not 20, really?

maybe you don't realize or agree that your comments are misleading but they are,

disappointing me should not be high on your list of concerns so don't worry about it even though your passive aggressive comment is just that.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
WE always take MOXY with a grain of salt.....
We? do you have a mouse in your pocket or belong to a secret society that believes in propagating false or misleading information in order to make yourselves feel better.

Does your bedroom smell for no reason too, do you also suffer from cant get rid of my old oil syndrome, perhaps you rebuild your diesel generator as part of your maintenance program.

By all means feel free to let me know where or when I stated anything that you have a hard time swallowing

Moxy
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Moxy, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet for some reason! Everyone has a right to their opinion.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #39

Always get a chuckle when DP owners try to justify how much better their units are. TEHO. We are quite happy with our gas unit and have lots left over to spend on other things and it is fully paid for. It gets us where we want to go in comfort.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionron View Post
hi all,

my wife and are new to forum and about to be to class A. Here is my dilemma ,,we live in central California and are surrounded by mountain ranges. We need to go over a grade to get to the beach, we need to go over a grade to get to southern california and if decide to go towards yosemite,,well you get the picture. I must say they are short runs though. We plan on 2 day getaways at least once or twice a month for the next couple of years.. Our budget is around 60k. Do i look at a gasser or a diesel pusher???

thanks in advance for your advice

Ron

Ron,

For most RVers, the gas/diesel argument will generate Ford/Chevy type responses. The real question is what Motorhome will meet your needs, requirements and expectations. Gas chassis are a viable option below about 24,000 pounds. Above that, the Ford V10 and the out of production Chevy V8 run out of ability to perform adequately.

Your budget may help your decision. You would have to go older for diesel. If you decide how big you want and then go look at what's available at your price point, you may find your diesel/gas question answered.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There are lots of good deals on used pushers out there , A Friend of mine bought a journey just like this one a few years ago .. I think he gave about 84 for it low miles loves it and its nice rig..
Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Moxy, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet for some reason! Everyone has a right to their opinion.

except me?

Tags
gas, diesel