Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Always get a chuckle when DP owners try to justify how much better their units are. TEHO. We are quite happy with our gas unit and have lots left over to spend on other things and it is fully paid for. It gets us where we want to go in comfort.

they are better, they ride better, handle better, have far more power, much safer, better braking, much better towing capabilities, and cost a pile more, because they are higher end and have higher end options, but that's not the point, they are also different and for different applications.

I couldn't agree more with to each his own, I do not agree with comments made by others to justify why they bought a gas coach and not a smelly, high maintenance, dirty oil generating, diesel money sucking coach, when nothing could be further from the truth. Somebody reading these comments, not opinions but comments could and likely in my opinion do misinform people and that I don't like.

As far as paid for, mine is paid for and three years ago when I bought my 10 year old pusher I could have bought your coach new for the same money but I saw the value in buying as 350K coach for less than half its price new with 50K on the odometer.

So I to get a chuckle when people try to compare their $150K 25000 pound gas coaches to $350K 50000 plus pound DP's, it is like comparing apples and oranges.

To each his own but lets keep the facts straight. If you are happy about your rig, good, that's the idea, why not applaud all of the things you like about your coach instead of tossing around half truths about diesels to justify your choices.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Moxy, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet for some reason! Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Agreed, opinions are one thing, tossing around half truths and inaccurate statements is another.

Moxy
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #45

1/2 truths?

Last time I looked I have the same fridge, hwh, cooktop, convection microwave, quality cabinets, more storage, same exterior compartment doors, same 3 led TV's, W/D, 15,000 Btu x 2 AC with heat pump units ducted return and outlet, macerator toilet, walls, padded ceiling as the" better coaches". I don't need 10,000# towing capacity and if I did I would be considering the DP. I also don't need an AZ or DZ license which many people I have met pretend they don't need with most DP's.
I do not have the fancy designs in the ceiling or extra trim pieces some of the high end coaches do. Sure there are many differences and I do not dispute that. My maintenance costs on the chassis has been less than $100 in 2 years. Beat that.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionron View Post
Really thinking about this 2005 winnebago journey 39k. Wife loves it. I have 1 concern...it has 65k miles on it. 330 cat. Should i be worried? Its a solid dealership
Ron,
65,000 miles is not even broken in yet. If you maintain the engine and other drivetrain components, you will not live long enough to wear them out. Just remember to ALWAYS perform required maintenance. Take care of the chassis and it will outlast the coach.
Do not let milage be a stumbling block because it is not an issue!
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Ron,
65,000 miles is not even broken in yet. If you maintain the engine and other drivetrain components, you will not live long enough to wear them out. Just remember to ALWAYS perform required maintenance. Take care of the chassis and it will outlast the coach.
Do not let milage be a stumbling block because it is not an issue!
I agree!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #48

Quote:
hi all,
my wife and are new to forum and about to be to class A. Here is my dilemma ,,we live in central California and are surrounded by mountain ranges. We need to go over a grade to get to the beach, we need to go over a grade to get to southern california and if decide to go towards yosemite,,well you get the picture. I must say they are short runs though. We plan on 2 day getaways at least once or twice a month for the next couple of years.. Our budget is around 60k. Do i look at a gasser or a diesel pusher???
thanks in advance for your advice
Ron
two reasons to buy a diesel... one you want to and two, you can....

and now...# 3 because they are quiet...

on performance... 30 ' and below... the gas coach is cheeper, takes off faster, stops faster, hauls more load, climbs hills faster...
draw back is its wound tighter than a fiddle string constantly..

the diesel will cost more, cost more to operate , take off slower, climb hills slower..pull less at a slower speed..take longer to stop..
but will do so with less strain under 2000 rpms...

both are mostly made by the same builder, using the same materials so there are high ends of both...

beings the coaches are made from the same materials... both will be old junk ... but the diesel chassis will still be in service and the gas will need a rebuild...
buy'n used 60k buys a lot of gas coach with new stuff.. or its a 10 year old pusher that looks... well ...10 yr old...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Last time I looked I have the same fridge, hwh, cooktop, convection microwave, quality cabinets, more storage, same exterior compartment doors, same 3 led TV's, W/D, 15,000 Btu x 2 AC with heat pump units ducted return and outlet, macerator toilet, walls, padded ceiling as the" better coaches". I don't need 10,000# towing capacity and if I did I would be considering the DP. I also don't need an AZ or DZ license which many people I have met pretend they don't need with most DP's.
I do not have the fancy designs in the ceiling or extra trim pieces some of the high end coaches do. Sure there are many differences and I do not dispute that. My maintenance costs on the chassis has been less than $100 in 2 years. Beat that.
there is no way to compare a gas coach to a diesel pusher...an no way will you ever be able make any economical sense...

both have there place... diesels shine for greyhound.... they're made for busses...

so ... if you want 40' and up...only one choice...

the diesel market is aimed at tractors...buses and ships....gas at speed boats and race cars,...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Really thinking about this 2005 winnebago journey 39k. Wife loves it. I have 1 concern...it has 65k miles on it. 330 cat. Should i be worried? Its a solid dealership
that coach is over 40',,,,, do not ever ever ever.. even if you can find one...
buy a 40' gas coach...

that being said...that coach can get a powertrain warranty...
it would be money well spent... I just sold a 05 journey..nice coach...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
These threads are always a good read.
We have had a gas coach and now a dp.
Love the dp. It was the right coach for us, that what I know.
Wouldn't trade it straight up for a new gasser.
What's best for you is up to you.
I still reserve the right to present my opinions as fact.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #52

this thread is funny... starts out

do I need a foot ball or a basket ball....

four pages of pro gas or pro diesel

then we find out he wants to play foot ball

the coach he wants is 40 ft,,

their is no choice between the two ...

he needs the diesel....

now how much does he need ...

the cat will work and work hard...

bigger would be better
Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
These threads are always a good read.
We have had a gas coach and now a dp.
Love the dp. It was the right coach for us, that what I know.
Wouldn't trade it straight up for a new gasser.
What's best for you is up to you.
I still reserve the right to present my opinions as fact.
what color lip stick you got on???
Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I also don't need an AZ or DZ license which many people I have met pretend they don't need with most DP's.
Well, that depends on the state of residence. Here in WA we don't need any special license to drive a private motorhome. In fact a lot of states exempt RV's from the DL requirements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, that depends on the state of residence. Here in WA we don't need any special license to drive a private motorhome. In fact a lot of states exempt RV's from the DL requirements.
so 2 days to county coach....yes.. I'm jealous
Old 02-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #56

Quote:
cant beat that

Tags
gas, diesel