Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Afraid I'm another gas fan. My Pace Arrow with the Ford chassis and the big 460 has worked well for over 62,000 miles and is still a strong engine. I maintain it properly and keep an eye on compression. To date it's as good as new. Would I like a pusher, sure. There are times a pusher would have made the job a bit easier, but for maintenance costs, fuel costs and entry level costs I feel I got more bang for my buck with the gas rig. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

For your use either will do fine, but the gas will have cheaper maintenance cost.

I don't see you putting the miles on for the diesel to take the lead there.

The Cat 3126/C7 is a great engine, no mileage concerns to worry about there. It was/is such a popular engine that Cat makes a crate replacement. So cheap it's almost cheaper then rebuilding.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #17

I appreciate all the advice. My wife really like the floor plan of the 05 journey 39k. price is 65k and miles are 65k, very clean unit. The dealer is very reputable. If there is any links to a diesel walk through and check list please let me know . And if there is ANYTHING major i should demand done also please let me know. Looking forward to the forum. Lots of wisdom here.
thanks
Ron
actionron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Also, the DP with the engine in the back is a lot quieter pulling hills. Once that clutch fan kicks in, forget having a normal conversation. We went from a Chevy 454 gasser to a CAT DP and the noise level difference is tremendous.
I'm sorry. This reply is confusing. Are you saying that when the clutch fan of the DP kicks in, it is very loud?

I would assume you mean the 454's clutch fan is very loud....right?

OP, the DP will be more expensive for routine maintenance....probably double the gasser. But, as mentioned, the DP will be much quieter. A gasser doing 4000 rpms going up a grade will be uncomfortable for any type of conversation whereas you will only hear a low frequency rumble from the DP.

You didn't say if you will be pulling a toad or not, but if yes, the DP will handle it much better than the gasser.

Both will take the hills in stride.

Good luck in which ever you choose.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Cat with 65k mile WOW it brand new

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionron View Post
Really thinking about this 2005 winnebago journey 39k. Wife loves it. I have 1 concern...it has 65k miles on it. 330 cat. Should i be worried? Its a solid dealership
The Cat engine at 65K isn't even fully broke in that's a 500,000 mile engine if taken care of..
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Either will get you to where you are going again and again and again. And again!

You might get there a few minutes earlier with diesel but more likely will depend upon traffic conditions than the fuel you are burning. If you stuff your foot in either will go fast.

Primary concern should be the floor plan. You are living in the MH so find something you can spend time in if the weather gets crappy.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #21

The Journey is a very nice floorplan, and that Cat will be good for many, many miles. I can't think of a single owner on this entire board (or really, in my life) that has actually "worn out" a diesel engine coach.

The maintenance will be more, certainly. But the air ride and low noise levels are also very, very nice.

Steve
Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #22

worn out

Can't say I see if anyone has worn out a gas powered coach either. Sure see a lot of old gas powered motorhomes and think the house part will wear out before the chassis
Then again I'd rather pay for a gas engine rebuild before a diesel rebuild if I ever had to
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd go with the DP... I been stuck in traffic jams for hours in August on interstates that turn into parking lot's at high noon ... Just crank up the rpms turn up the AC ! I sat in one in Indiana for 6 hours without moving a foot.....
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #24

Wife says she wants the journey so DP it is. Was a concerned i might be making a mistake because of the mileage but you all reassured me 65000 is nothing for that 330 cummins. Thanks again and when she's in our hands we'll be bugging you fine people for more information
R & C
actionron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you have made your decision. I think you will be pleased with the DP. Not sure if it has the Cat or Cummins but you can take the Cummins to a dealer to retrieve the history from the computer. Did that when I bought my Journey. The Cummins dealer emailed the data to me. Had all sorts of data including max temp reading of the engine, lowest oil pressure, number of engine hours and many other details. Gave me an increased comfort level.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Help, gas or diesel?

We had a 37 foot DP with one slide that we bought new in 2005. Was ecstatic to own one. Then came the maintenance. Common items with gassers/DPs cost two to three times as much but only performed half as often in most cases. Air dryers, fuel water separators, 24 qts of oil (find a place to accept that much if you DIY the maintenance). Charge air cooler cleaning. Diesel genset also requires ore maintenance. We replaced it last year wit a 39 foot gasser with three slides, residential fridge, washer and dryer, full body paint for half the cost of a new DP. We like to buy new. Common "house" and exterior RV maintenance items are the same. Major difference is that I can do most maintenance in my driveway. Simplest oil change ever on our Ford V10. No diesel smell left in bedroom after accessing the engine compartment. Engine in front is louder but, we always use the generator for coach AC and DP generator win front. Wheels are identical. Just one owners opinion. You will be excited by whatever you end up buying. We figured that at retirement we will live in the rig a lot more than we re on the road. Mountains it an issue for us and we lve/travel in the mountainous west. 250,000 miles engine life vs 500,000 makes no difference if you drive less than 12000 miles a year.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionron View Post
I appreciate all the advice. My wife really like the floor plan of the 05 journey 39k. price is 65k and miles are 65k, very clean unit. The dealer is very reputable. If there is any links to a diesel walk through and check list please let me know . And if there is ANYTHING major i should demand done also please let me know. Looking forward to the forum. Lots of wisdom here.
thanks
Ron

Ron,

I would request a sample of engine oil and transmission fluid be pulled and sent to JG Lube Services for a test report. This is the best way to ensure that there isn't any hidden problem in the most expensive area. I would also build in a complete PM service into the deal.

The Journey is a well built coach and represents a good value. I have a good friend with an '01 Journey with over 100k on the clock. He has plenty of financial assets and has looked for a larger coach for years. He still is in the Journey because he is afraid he might end up with a coach not as trouble free as his Journey.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
We had a 37 foot DP with one slide that we bought new in 2005. Was ecstatic to own one. Then came the maintenance. Common items with gassers/DPs cost two to three times as much but only performed half as often in most cases. Air dryers, fuel water separators, 24 qts of oil (find a place to accept that much if you DIY the maintenance). Charge air cooler cleaning. Diesel genset also requires ore maintenance. We replaced it last year wit a 39 foot gasser with three slides, residential fridge, washer and dryer, full body paint for half the cost of a new DP. We like to buy new. Common "house" and exterior RV maintenance items are the same. Major difference is that I can do most maintenance in my driveway. Simplest oil change ever on our Ford V10. No diesel smell left in bedroom after accessing the engine compartment. Engine in front is louder but, we always use the generator for coach AC and DP generator win front. Wheels are identical. Just one owners opinion. You will be excited by whatever you end up buying. We figured that at retirement we will live in the rig a lot more than we re on the road. Mountains it an issue for us and we lve/travel in the mountainous west. 250,000 miles engine life vs 500,000 makes no difference if you drive less than 12000 miles a year.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

if ya can twist the filter off your V10 you can change the oil in the diesel, its not rocket science, yes there is more oil and the filter is bigger but that's it, gas generators require same maintenance, filter and oil, again not rocket science, air dryers a part of a superior braking system which typically comes with heavier units where gas would not be an option, getting rid of oil, really, they get paid for the old oil, and fuel separators, again, if you can take your gas engine oil filter off you can do the fuel separators every year or two. diesel smell in the bedroom from having the hatch open, again really, did ya run the engine with the hatch open, that would be your fault no the engine's, Your 39 triple slide is a beautiful coach and at the outside limit of the V10's capability, and Ill bet she does scream up the big hills, even worse if you happen to be pulling anything of significance, Im sure you have good intentions but misinformation is not helping others make informed decision,

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, diesel