Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Help, gas or diesel?

hi all,
my wife and are new to forum and about to be to class A. Here is my dilemma ,,we live in central California and are surrounded by mountain ranges. We need to go over a grade to get to the beach, we need to go over a grade to get to southern california and if decide to go towards yosemite,,well you get the picture. I must say they are short runs though. We plan on 2 day getaways at least once or twice a month for the next couple of years.. Our budget is around 60k. Do i look at a gasser or a diesel pusher???
thanks in advance for your advice

actionron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Diesel will have more power but with the budget you will have to look at an older unit.
We have a 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus with a 400 Cummins Diesel pusher. It does fine, but if you get into an older unit I hope you are able to do a lot of minor repairs yourself or it will get expensive.

Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A gas unit will take you anywhere you want to go, mine has for the last 60,000 miles.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
We have a workhorse chassis with the 8.1 gas (Chevy) and it works for us. It's not fast on the hills, but it is sufficient. The grade-brake on the down slopes helps a little also.
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree that a workhorse with 8.1 works fine in the mountains. I live in Colorado and have a2008 Bounder, w24 chassis, 8.1 engine, allison trans with grade brake and i do fine in the Rockies with a malibu 4 down tow.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our usage model is typically once a month weekend trips plus a couple week long vacation trips a year. A gasser is our choice due to lower entry cost (or more / newer coach), and reduced maintenance costs. At retirement in a year or two our usage model is planned to be half timers with trips of 1-3 months multiple times a year. A diesel pusher is planned to be purchased at that time.

BTW, we are in Cali and tow a 5000 lb jeep with us. To the mountains, desert, etc. Gets us wherever we want to go.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
thank you all. i am working in a deal for either a 05 DP winnabego journey for 65k and 06 Gas pace arrow.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Go with the Diesel, better in the mountains going up with more hp and better braking going down,
Rjburian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Agree go with the DO. You will also see many up grades in the pusher. Down side older rig. But with your budget look around, you will find a nice coach.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Really thinking about this 2005 winnebago journey 39k. Wife loves it. I have 1 concern...it has 65k miles on it. 330 cat. Should i be worried? Its a solid dealership
Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Journeys are great. With that mileage it is just getting started!!
kwittintime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To Date I have had only two hills the Workhorse with the 8.1 and allison have failed to get me over easily. One was on a goat trail that to be honest a Class A motor home has no business on, this is the kind of road where the RV is actually wider than the road and you are barley hanging on the edge of a cliff . I had, on one hill, to get out and "Drop" the towed, and drive the motor home over the peak, then walk back and drive the towed, and re-connect and continue. NOTE the towed was right at the tow limit for the motor home.

The other one was the one I was going up when the engine blew, but that was not because of the hill, there was a primary problem with the engine that caused it to blow. I am still trying to figure out where over a gallon and a half of oil went in less than 300 miles (Bearing sized when it ran out of oil).

That 8.1 has all the power you will ever need..

The Ford Triton V-10 is... downright close, In fact it is close enough that the transmission is the biggest difference (Nothing, I mean NOTHING, beats an Allison, even FORD admits that).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
65k on a diesel is just getting broken in and CAT makes a great engine. We just bought a 2000 Newmar with a CAT 300 with 65k on and love it. We also live in Colorado, so lots of mountains to contend with. When we bought our fifth wheel we had a Chevy with the 8.1 in it and it pulled the 13k pound fifth wheel OK, but when I traded the Chevy for the GMC with the Duramax, wow what a difference!
Steve, Karen and dog Lexi
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3859
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
COdutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Also, the DP with the engine in the back is a lot quieter pulling hills. Once that clutch fan kicks in, forget having a normal conversation. We went from a Chevy 454 gasser to a CAT DP and the noise level difference is tremendous.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, diesel