Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #15
I think the previous posters covered most of the points. First time I attempted fill at a truck stop, I entered from wrong end ! Than goodness, I had room to escape. We fuel at truck stops exclusively now. Not worth the hassle of using car pumps when we are towing ( 59' long ). We have fillers on both sides so use the drivers side ( master pump ). It will take a few fills for you to estimate the amount you need, but you will get pretty close eventually. We pull in, guess at $$ and wife runs in to get the pump turned on. Desk runs your card, gets approved for $ xxx, and pump will stop at that. If you don't use it all, they credit card back the difference. Once you are full, pull ahead so truck behind you van get in and start filling while you wait for the wife.
If you predetermine where you want to fill up, you can check satellite view to see which way you approach pumps, where the stop lights are, etc.
As far as DEF, I use the jugs from Walmart rather than playing around at the pumps.

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 / 4018
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
1940 Chevrolet Pickup
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi chiavet,
Because this is your first trip using diesel, consider making the fueling as simple as possible. Join Good Gam at Good Sam RV Club – RV camping discounts and memberships Then go to Pilot/Flying J at https://www.rvpluscard.com/programdetails/ and get the PFJ charge card. Consider having them pull the amount owed from your checking account once a month. One can get a list of PFJ stations on the internet either a download document or an app for the phone. There may also be booklets of station locations at PFJ locations.

For your first trip this should make fueling as easy as possible. This is how I started out and have never changed. Based on the total package PFJ offers, I am at a time in life where the benefits and convenience are just what I require.

PFJ has more locations than anyone else. It is very rare I am required to use a fueling station other than PFJ. At Flying J stations, one can use the RV or truck pumps. I always use the truck pumps. OTR drivers get paid by the mile. Almost all the time they are in and out. The RV pumps can get backed up.
X2...PFJ RV Plus charge card is the way to go. They draft our bank account once a month for any charges. No pre paying and pulling up mess in the truck lanes. RV pumps were backed up at every stop on our way to FL and we breezed right in and out using the truck lanes.

Just wish my DEF was on the drivers side.

I do remember my first time using the truck lanes though. It was backed up several deep at a Pilot station and when it was my turn I jumped out to try to hurry. I ran my card and then a strange option (to me anyway) showed on the pump. Tractor or Reefer ??? I wasn't thinking tractor trailer and sure they weren't asking about that kind of reefer()... after asking a very nice trucker walking by, he said to use the tractor option and I was on my way. He got a good laugh at my inexperience in the big boy lanes..

Billy and Danielle
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.3
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tractor pays road tax, reefer does not.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
When using the truckers pumps watch out for diesel on the ground and all over the nozzle. Maybe they don't care about the diesel smell in their rig but I do and the DW would go ballistic. I mostly try to use RV or auto islands to fill up. My MH and race car trailer measure out at about 68' and I still get in to most auto islands.
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stopped once in the truck lanes and started filling from both sides. Problem was the lanes were tilted right side down. Tank full but the left side didn't know it. Bit of a mess till I got around to the side to shut the nozzle off.
Terri & Maria, Staci, Penny, Bailey and Stacker(our Norwich Terriers)
2006 Damon Tuscany 4076
2013 Ford C-Max
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Keep some latex gloves in the compartment near your fill. ALso some hand sanitizer and we purchase those booties that slip on over your shoes. Seems those truck lanes get washed down twice a century and the next one is not due until 2050. The smell tracked in is nothing compared to cleaning the floor from all the grease and oils.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Watch out for gas lane Tilt and Price.

I agree with most all of the previous post - good advice.
Two other items. Always check for the tilt of the gas lane. Never had trouble at a PFJ but at auto gas stations be careful. If the tilt is toward you (fill side is low side) the gas will "pile up" until it shuts off the nozzle then about a gallon will gush out onto the ground.
Second item. We were traveling in Wyoming and the diesel price at PFJ was .53 cents higher than SC! I drove four extra miles and saved $37.00. It was the only time I have ever seen that much of a difference.
2 Min Schnauzers +1 Golden as co-pilots with DW
1999 HR Imperial 38WDS, 330hp ISC Cummins
2015 Buick Enclave, AF1 brake
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:27 AM   #22
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My filler necks are at a low angle as compared to a car/suv. At the commercial lanes with the larger nozzles/hoses I do not have any problem. At the auto lanes the nozzle will not stay in the filler neck on its own. Having to hold the nozzle, at the slower pump rate and re-running the credit card at every $100 increment (130gal tank) since I did not go inside to pre-pay is a PITA. When I have the option, the commercial lanes is my first choice but I am also 43' without the toad.
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #23

Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
We got a Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card so we wouldn't have to leave our credit card with a clerk. We just line up with the trucks, insert our card, pump our fuel the pull to a parking spot. We get the $.06/gallon discount
Jim & Sandy
2011 Discovery 36J
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Re-read GaryKD's post and live it. I haven't used anything other than PFJ in over four years.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #25
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't fill from both sides at once!!

I see you have a Phaeton. When I purchased my Phaeton, the salesman took us to a gas station to fuel up.
We filled from the drivers side, but he went and opened the PS filler cap.
We got to about $300 on the pump and I went around to look at the other side. Fuel was coming out of the PS filler, and the pump was still running.
Had a decent fuel spill.

It even says in the Tiffin manual to NOT DO THIS.
It looks to me like the PS fill is slightly lower than the DS on the Phaeton.
I am sure all rigs are different, and you can duel fill on some...but not the phaeton.

ALSO....you can use your trip meter in the LBU to tell you how much fuel you have used...so you have a good idea how much you will need to put on the card. This does not count the genny fuel.

Have Fun,

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
Newmar Owners Club
I never open both sides of the fuel filling. One side or the other works perfectly. If there is a side to side tilt I will fill from the high side. Very rarely run into any tilt at PFJ.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote