Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That looks like a very nice rig. Congratulations! The Horizon and Vectra were Winnebago's flagship coaches during those years and they were nice. You will love the Freightliner Evolution chassis with IFS.... it should drive like a dream.

One thing I would highly recommend is to get it on some scales for a weigh once you have loaded all your stuff in it. Put water in your freshwater tank and fill the fuel tank. I do know of a few folks who loaded them up (full timers mostly) and got a bit overweight on those. Just something to check.

Wishing you many happy miles.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #44

Have Fun with the Rig, it sounds like a little due diligence paid off .. .good for you .. .have fun in it..

Old 11-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #45

We were on our way home and really enjoying the ride. The Evelution chassis does drive like a dream. But just north of Chattanooga on I-75 headed south engine power dropped dramatically. I noticed the Turbo Boost pressure was zero. We pulled off the side of the road and called the dealership. Then a state trooper came along and suggested that I try to get it off of the interstate. So I cranked it up and the turbo pressure had returned to normal. Now were are sitting here in a Kenworth parking lot waiting for Cummins roadside service. Yep. The adventure has begun.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW, has all the service been done ie: oil, filters, etc. Dealer owes you on this one. Could be a fuel filter.
Rich
Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #47

After sitting with the engine off for about an hour I started the engine and the pressure was normal. So we hit the road headed for home but after about a hundred miles or so Turbo pressure drop to zero. I was on flat terrain when the pressure dropped so I continued toward the next rest area. After another 10 or 15 miles the pressure tried to come back but never more than 10psi. We are now sitting in another rest area.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #48

I hope Buddy Gregg comes to the rescue, they advertize on their site they have a Mobile Mechanic that will come to you.. since you just picked up the rig I'd be on the phone to them as soon as their dealership opens... Keep posting your adventure.... and good luck.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #49

Could be a leak, but it would need a big leak to drop it to zero I think. But pressure came back on, normally a leak would not build the pressure back up. I wonder if a restriction in the intercooler would drop the pressure?

Since it seem an on/off problem, maybe the Variable Vane (VGT on the turbo) is stuck or the VGT motor is intermittent, or it gets a wrong signal from one of the sensor and it move the VGT to the iddle position.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
After sitting with the engine off for about an hour I started the engine and the pressure was normal. So we hit the road headed for home but after about a hundred miles or so Turbo pressure drop to zero. I was on flat terrain when the pressure dropped so I continued toward the next rest area. After another 10 or 15 miles the pressure tried to come back but never more than 10psi. We are now sitting in another rest area.

Hope you have gotten help & are on your way. I'm not sure of the engine in your coach, most likely an ISC or ISL. If the engine brake is a function of the VG turbo and you have the engine/exhaust brake on, you might switch it off. A fault with a sensor could cause the VGT to malfunction. Worth a try.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #51

With a DP coach a Silverleaf VMSPC is a must have. It's relatively in-expensive and lets you keep a good eye on all the engine parameters as well as tell you whatever error codes might popup. Runs on your laptop and lets you format the screen how you want it to look. I wouldn't move my coach without it.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #52

Well, we finally made it home. Turbo pressure was on and off and sometimes just low until the last 50 miles when it dropped to zero and stayed there in limp mode. I made an appointment with our local Freightliner service center for this Friday. I'll post the results. They think it might be as simple as a turbo pressure sensor.

When you purchase a used MH from a reputable dealer like Buddy Gregg is it unreasonable for me to expect them to pay for the repair?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought our 2008 winne, and had generator problems. Called the dealer, took it to a service outlet. Got it fixed, and the dealer paid for it.
They should cover your MH for 1 year!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Well, we finally made it home. Turbo pressure was on and off and sometimes just low until the last 50 miles when it dropped to zero and stayed there in limp mode. I made an appointment with our local Freightliner service center for this Friday. I'll post the results. They think it might be as simple as a turbo pressure sensor.

When you purchase a used MH from a reputable dealer like Buddy Gregg is it unreasonable for me to expect them to pay for the repair?
That would depend on if that was part of the deal. Did you ask about any warranty or did they offer any? I've bought my last two DP's from dealers (both used) and one dealer offered a 90 day bumper-to-bumper warranty and the other said after my PDI and final acceptance, I was on my own.

I would certainly call them and see what they will do.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #55

Id expect them to pay for it.. you were driving it home from just purchasing it.. it's not like you have been using it and putting lots of miles on it ... Common now.. they should cover it! Had you checked with them yet?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #56

MH laws: 1) It will break 2) it will break at the most inconvenient time (ie. Friday at 3 pm on a 3 day weekend) 3) It will cost a lot to get it fixed.

You best bet is to go to rv.org buy their product, it will be the best money you spend on your MH.
Don't get in a hurry they're lots of MH out there and if this one goes away another will show up.
One final piece of advice: Life is short, buy the damn MH. But choose wisely.

Good Luck and happy hunting

Tags
purchase