Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IMO sounds like the exhaust brake is sticking. More than likely hasn't been lubed at the hindge and slave cylinder points in a while. Happend to me twice last summer. I also replaced the Solenoid because I thought it might be sticking and not releasing the air pressure.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
IMO sounds like the exhaust brake is sticking. More than likely hasn't been lubed at the hindge and slave cylinder points in a while. Happend to me twice last summer. I also replaced the Solenoid because I thought it might be sticking and not releasing the air pressure.
He has the Itasca Horizon which generally came with a 400 hp Cummins ISL with compression (Jake) brake, not the exhaust brake used on the smaller engines.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Sad to see people being convincingly worried about old MH needing maintenance. I bought a 2000 Allegro Bay a few years ago and although I have indeed tinkered a bit, there was no need for me to be a mechanic to take good care of it. Some folks are on a budget, let's not just scare them all off because the coach isn't as new as yours. Yes some older Motor Homes can be a project, but not all are.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
That fuel may have been sitting in there for a while. Try the cheapest fix first, fuel biocides Biofure, and stabil. Refill and use biocides.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer View Post
Sad to see people being convincingly worried about old MH needing maintenance. I bought a 2000 Allegro Bay a few years ago and although I have indeed tinkered a bit, there was no need for me to be a mechanic to take good care of it. Some folks are on a budget, let's not just scare them all off because the coach isn't as new as yours. Yes some older Motor Homes can be a project, but not all are.
Agree, nothing than any pickup pulling an RV. You have the mechanical side and the RV side.

The difference is in the size of the mecanical components, beside the motor and the RV portion, which is not much different, you need big tools to work on it. If you are not well equiped, you should go to a reputable independent truck repair shop. This is what one suggested to me, he owns big truck and says that the dealership like Kenworth, Mac, so on, charges an arm and a leg to work on these and they see you comming.

Not all shops are honest people, first and first, they want your money, garage are not the most reputable business and truck or RV shops are no different. Be aware, ask questions, and when in doubt just walk out and go somewhere else.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
That fuel may have been sitting in there for a while. Try the cheapest fix first, fuel biocides Biofure, and stabil. Refill and use biocides.
The turbo pressure problem started right after I fueled up at a Loves truck stop. Could I have gotten bad fuel or the wrong fuel if that's possible?

As I limped home there were times when the pressure gauge showed pressure but it was low. It seemed to come and go.

Someone else on IRV2 had a similar problem and it turned out to be a inexpensive turbo pressure sensor. So, I'm going open up the engine compartment and take a look.

Getting to the engine is not as simple as I thought. I can't figure out how to remove the floor panels so I can get to the top engine cover. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger
He has the Itasca Horizon which generally came with a 400 hp Cummins ISL with compression (Jake) brake, not the exhaust brake used on the smaller engines.
Yes, our Horizon has the 400HP Cummins ISL.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #64
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased an 02 Journey DL a year and a half ago. The price was great and we expected to replace some of the systems. So far not too much.

We replaced all the tires. The TVs had already been replaced with flat screens. We replaced the satellite system with a new Winegard. We rebuilt the Washer/dyer. We had the Heat Pump inspected, it was okay.

That's about it for us. We are quite happy with the unit and have traveled quite a bit with it.'

Food luck.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
The turbo pressure problem started right after I fueled up at a Loves truck stop. Could I have gotten bad fuel or the wrong fuel if that's possible?

As I limped home there were times when the pressure gauge showed pressure but it was low. It seemed to come and go.

Someone else on IRV2 had a similar problem and it turned out to be a inexpensive turbo pressure sensor. So, I'm going open up the engine compartment and take a look.

Getting to the engine is not as simple as I thought. I can't figure out how to remove the floor panels so I can get to the top engine cover. Hmmm.

If you think it may be associated with your fuel stop, try changing all the fuel filters (they are probably due for change anyway).
Old 11-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Agree with the recommendation to change the fuel filter/s as a first step. Still curious if you spoke to the dealer and what they agreed to do, if anything. Did they at least do minimal service on the coach before you took delivery.... oil and filter, fuel filters?

Strongly suggest you take it to a good shop (Cummins Coach Care perhaps) and get a full service.... oil, filter, fuel filters, air dryer service, air cleaner filter, chassis lube, tranny oil and filters, genset service, rear differential lube change. If it has the original engine coolant, it will be due for a cooling system drain, flush and refill with new coolant. If you get this stuff done, you will know it has been done and all is well. Expect to spend $1,500 - $2,000 to get these critical chassis items done.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Strongly suggest you take it to a good shop (Cummins Coach Care perhaps) and get a full service....
I agree. I want to set a baseline for future service so I plan to have the Freightliner service center in Montgomery, AL perform a complete service and inspection in the next couple of weeks and they can fix whatever the Turbo pressure problem at that time.

Quote:
Still curious if you spoke to the dealer and what they agreed to do, if anything.
The dealer told me they serviced the rig and I believed them. My mistake. If they did, they didn't change any of the filters.

So far, the dealerships response is "use your extended warranty"
Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #68

Jerry, Is this a MH that was purchased at Buddy Gregg in Tennessee? I did see a link to some photos of the coach and it was from Buddy Gregg.

Anything you do or have done make sure you keep excellent records, have whom ever you deal with at Freightliner put it all on the service record. It would be interesting if they pull fluids they can tell about how old the oil and fluids are. I"d just be real mad if they want you to use the extended warranty ... if that is what ends up happening I"d go to the dealer sit down with the owner and tell him the extended warranty just saved the dealer lots of money and I'd tell them you want a 100% repayment of the extended warranty and any deductible used on it...

From what i read here, I"d be camping out side the office of the dealer with lots of details whole ordeal to pass out to other potential customers!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki
Jerry, Is this a MH that was purchased at Buddy Gregg in Tennessee? I did see a link to some photos of the coach and it was from Buddy Gregg.
Yes sir. That's the one. I know that I purchased a pre-owned MH and that is why I purchased a very expensive extended warranty. However, it just not right to expect a customer to use the extended warranty to pay for a repair like this one that failed after delivery less than 50 miles from the dealership.

The salesman said "use your extended warranty" but referred me to the service manager and that was late the day before Thanksgiving. I am still waiting for the service manager to respond. Hopefully, they'll come through for me.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Yes sir. That's the one. I know that I purchased a pre-owned MH and that is why I purchased a very expensive extended warranty. However, it just not right to expect a customer to use the extended warranty to pay for a repair like this one that failed after delivery less than 50 miles from the dealership.

The salesman said "use your extended warranty" but referred me to the service manager and that was late the day before Thanksgiving. I am still waiting for the service manager to respond. Hopefully, they'll come through for me.

I really hope they do something for you. My wife and I lived about 3 miles north of Buddy's for the last 7 years we owned a S&Bs and purchased 2 motorhomes during that time. We never seriously considered buying there. The good news is that you bought a quality used coach and don't have to look to BG for anything in the future.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase