Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Jack, one thing I forgot to mention is that I don't remember reading anything in the manual pages that made reference to air brakes for the non-comm license,it seemed to be entirely based on weights...

I'm not just sure what I'm doing as far as getting out of here...The coach needs to be here through Tuesday,but there's no guarantee I'll be going anywhere Thursday...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #16
This change in the law will be a big surprise to a lot of poeple, including those responsible for doing the testing.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #17

I took the test for a PA Class B non CDL this past July. A driver with a class B or higher license must be with you at the testing center. If you look at the info that came with your permit, you are not supposed to drive the vehicle without the properly licensed driver with you.

The test included checking all lights, a Pre-trip Air Brake check and the driving exam.
Jim, Beryl, & BJ the Westie
2013 Journey 34B, Cummins 340, Allison 2500
2014 Jeep Cherokee
jreichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Thanks all for your input, but I did much research before I applied for my "learners permit" ($5 cheap). This is not a new regulation, PA has had this requirement for a long time. The problem is that the Penndot workers have no clue. I finally had to download and fill out a permit application and take it with me to the DMV, when I handed it to the clerk he said he had never heard of a Class B non-commercial license. After looking up the form number online he took my $5 and issued the permit. I've talked to PA cops that had never heard of it. Seems like a little known and understood subject. But you most definitely are supposed to have one if your rig is >26,001#. By the way I was grandfathered in years ago when the CDL started, gave it up because I didn't want to pay the additional fees. Sorry I did that now.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ya know, now you guys have my curiosity peaked, I will ckeck this out this week. I hold a commercial A so it dosen't matter for me, but I can see the chaos it is going to creat for a whole bunch of folks.

JRR, have you checked Slicers in New Castle DE ?
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the guyz in Hamburg across the street from Cabelas, what a greasy bunch !!!!!
Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
The thing that started my quest was reading the back of my license. Class C < 26,000# Class B >26,001# with tow <10,000# Class A > 26,001# "OR" tow >10,001#, all non commercial. Mike
Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #21
Media said wasn't needed but I sure believe you. I think the start of this was the exemption on the commercial side with the MH exemption from the 26K#.
Fear not I think the site you refer to was used as hazmat dump from Cabela's build. Shaffers just south is very good. At Media for an AC Tradition.
Please let us know where you find intelligence who will do the test us in this area, Bucks.

By way If you think this is screwy. I Had to register a Cobra replica a couple of years ago. Took 5 months. Sent back once for having a license plate on back in pic. Penndot said "don't know whats under the obstruction"
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Penndot and intelligence are mutually exclusive terms.