Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I need to take my drivers test to upgrade my license to Class B non commercial, the biggest hurdle is that you need to be accompanied by someone with that licence or higher (class B, A or CDL) I haven't been able to find a friend that meets the requirement. I would appreciate if someone in the area could accompany me. I would make the appointment at your convenience, it would be in northeast Philly at Oxford Ave & Levick St. I realize it's a lot to ask of a stranger but I'm running out of options. Thanks for taking the time to read this. PM if you can help. Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I need to take my drivers test to upgrade my license to Class B non commercial, the biggest hurdle is that you need to be accompanied by someone with that licence or higher (class B, A or CDL) I haven't been able to find a friend that meets the requirement. I would appreciate if someone in the area could accompany me. I would make the appointment at your convenience, it would be in northeast Philly at Oxford Ave & Levick St. I realize it's a lot to ask of a stranger but I'm running out of options. Thanks for taking the time to read this. PM if you can help. Mike
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
paz

Are you sure Pennsylvania requires a higher classification license for an RV? I am originally from PA and my understanding was that RVs were exempt from the requirement for a higher classification normally required for vehicles over 26,000 lb. GVWR.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Rv's do not require any special license even if equiped with air brakes in PA.

I hold a class A license and I'm the safty responsable person at a large commercial operation. Please be more clear in your need and I may be able to help you. If you are driving a class B truck to the test then yes you must be accompanied by an equal or higher driver for that class truck.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll be driving my Discovery. I contacted the DMV and was given that that information thanks, Mike
Old 02-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #6

Hey Mike, how did you make out, let me know if you still need help, I'm just across the river off of Route 42. I have a class B CDL
Dave
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Buzzcut, It's funny you should ask, went to take the test yesterday. Made the appointment through Penndot website. They sent me down to Philly, said that was the closest center that could administer the Class B non commercial test. You should have seen the look on the testers face when I pulled in in a 39'MH, stood there scratching his head. Then went over to talk it over with an associate who stood there scratching his head, then the two of them went back in the building. Five minutes later he knocked on the door and said no one at the center was qualified to administer the test, said they never do testing on anything larger than a car. Now I must reschedule to take the test in Norristown. This really doesn't surprise me; no one I have spoken to at the DMV has had a clue as to the requirements or testing for the Class B license.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about your problem, let me know how you make out.
Dave
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

hondo,as Steve has pointed out, if you're taking the Class B non-commercial to drive your RV, you're wasting your money....It's not required.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
... if you're taking the Class B non-commercial to drive your RV, you're wasting your money....It's not required. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But then again any education or certification is a good thing regardless of cost. It may save a stich in time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
jrr

While on my search for the MH that pleases the bride and living in Bucks County, I have asked all of the dealers re the NEED. Finally, the salesperson at Media told me the new rule in Pa is a non commercial CDL is required due to the air brakes only.
Those non Pa folks can't really appreciate how "simple" life in this state can be, not.

Jack
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

It very well must be a NEW rule as I was licensed as a Class A Commercial Driver in PA for seven years and never heard of it...

I will do some research on the PennDot site...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

PA Drivers Manual

Class of Licenses
CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating
of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example:
Recreational vehicle when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at
15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds.
Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.

Interesting to say the least...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
jrr

Bob
Good dig. Old law had the MH exception but apparently not so any more. Nice thing about a non com B is that you don't have to drag a B licensed driver with you. Or so the folks at Media said.
Bet you even money if you got a straight answer from PennDot within 10 calls, you be lucky.
Also just saw weather report, think your south and west thought is smart. They are now covering with snow, down through Va and north of Philly.
through Wed night
Jack
jrr is offline   Reply With Quote