Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #43

I think the Trek is a good option. .. kind of a cult following, plus Safari was a quality m/h builder! My 1998 Safari C is a pleasure and no more costly than any.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
See this is the part that bothers me.
I mean as far as I'm concerned we don't have to talk about how awesome the coach is for many reasons...we all know that. The lust of the eyes is very tempting isn't it? But you're dilemma goes beyond that. It's the "total cost of ownership" that every RV has, and has to be considered. And that's what you're wondering if you're getting in over your head or not. And you start right off the bat with "I couldn't even fill this puppy up with fuel my money is so tight".

So here's my take on total cost of ownership and what it includes:
Fuel, regular maintenance items and repairs even though you can do this stuff yourself it's still going to cost some money to do these things. Insurance and road side assistance, possibly storage fees but maybe not, possible additional annual taxes depending on where you live, annual inspections & registration fees, camping fees if you start traveling and of course you're going to start sprucing it up some inside with some decorative updates at the very least and making it your own.

My honest opinion:
As cool of a thought as it is to own this baby or any RV for that matter, IMO you're just not in the position financially to own, maintain and run one. You're already stretched to the max as it is...your words not mine. You just don't have enough deposable or back up income.

You could buy a really cool tent and some awesome camping gear and go to state or national parks a couple three times a year and get that out of your system with your budget and not be faced with all the other "total cost of ownership" RV stuff.

We're just a couple that believes strongly to live within our means and try our hardest to not get our rearend in a bind if it's avoidable.

Well, in the end what I meant by that (not worded the best on my part) was that if I went with that coach I wouldn't be able to fill the tank when I was driving home. In short saying it was all of the money I had to spend including digging into a buffer I was reserving on another coach.

Remember, I can mill, machine, weld, fabricate anything I need. If he offered it to me for $10k with a blown motor and trans I could have handled that better.

Remember a good deal on a fixer upper is in short a payment plan for people like me as I can do repairs when I have the resources and I can do them for MUCH less than the typical person.

But all in all you're 100% correct, buying something at half the price would still get me a nice coach, I would get 90% of the comfort and enjoyment for 50% the stress, cost, and worry.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
That looks like a piece of art, not just a Motorhome.
oh yea
hauboldg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I'm having a REALLY hard time passing on this but I really think buying this motorhome would be biting off more than I can chew so I need a little reassurance I'm making a smart choice. Here's the coach:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...862022179.html

I know that a Mitchell Vogue is about as good as a motorhome from the early 90s can get and the current owner who is an amazing guy has owned it for a long time, has records on it and even had the engine overhauled last year (it wasn't needed, he was getting something else done and decided while they were in there he would just rebuild it). I don't think this couple ever planned to sell it but got a really good deal on a newer coach.

Anyway, I can really stretch my budget to make this happen but literally couldn't afford to fill the 150 gallon tank when I was done.

I'm also a serious DIYer and while I want the comfort of a diesel pusher if I'm on for example a P32 Chassis I can get most parts at any local auto parts store. If I'm on a bus chassis I have no clue where to get parts when I'm in some little small town America.

Also, I think that Detroit is the 6V92 and while a good engine is basically a tank motor in my mind, uses a lot of oil, gets 6 mpg and while cheap and easy to fix I'm not sure how I feel about it on a motorhome.

I want the quality of this coach but literally can't afford to have anything go wrong with it for the first year I own it and I'm fairly certain that isn't realistic.

I am on a fixed income but very mechanical and good with money so I could use a little confirmation that I'm making the right choice passing on it as I think my decision to buy is all together too emotional.

But damn it would be nice to travel in right!?
To be honest other than it is an older coach you are not going to find a gasser that gets as good of fuel mileage or with the power. That is a pretty nice looking coach for the money. If you are afraid take a good qualified mechanic with you and let him give it a good inspection or better yet ask them to allow you to take it to a shop that can give it a through inspection at your cost. It will be well worth the piece of mind. If I were in the market for an older coach I would jump on it.
My second response is if you can't afford to fill the tank you do not want to get into the world of motorhome ownership.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I drove a diesel pusher for 10 years. It had that 6v92 engine. One time it quit on me, I neglected to change the fuel filter. Just drained some fuel out of the filter and it got me to town and I ordered new filters.
Only other problem was I neglected to use Detroit Diesel anti freeze, it had the right additives. Engine blew outside of Albuquerque. Cost $8k to get it rebuilt. Caused cavitation in the cooling passages and ate through the cylinder walls on one piston.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #48
BEC

My theory is is you have to ask what do you get gallons per mile you can’t afford it as gas is the least of your expenses. You can research low gas prices or just stick close to home but schedule and unscheduled maintenance is a guarantee.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
maybe so but do you know this "diesel guy" I have ran into many so called mechanics. I just don't trust them unless I at least know their reputation. as Letmgrow was getting at.
I need a passenger side front windshield as well since it has a crack in the corner. If I just do the one side it will look funny since the other side has aged and minor blemishes on it.
One of the big problems with the old 'two stroke' Detroits is that there are very few real mechanics around that can still work on them, correctly that is. You have to understand that these things haven't been built in decades and the old mechanics that used to work on them have 'aged out'. Parts are tough to start with and finding a really good two stroke guy is almost getting into unicorn territory. They always have had heating issues-unless installed in a water craft and certainly tend to be fuel thirsty. Not knocking them as they were quite the motor in their day especially at .15 cents a gallon fuel price they were designed around.
The ZF trans wouldn't be my first choice either. A modern four stroke with an Allison World would be a much better option if you were to find one. There's a reason the price is where it is.
It looks like a real nice coach but I'd have to agree on letting it pass.
Hal
Hal  stclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #50

It's beautiful. The Detroit Diesel 6v92 was the city bus engine. It's probably on a bus chassis. Can you get the seller down to 20k?👍
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #51

Pass, to old...dated... If you did buy it you'd never ever get your money back..
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #52

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Not brand new but very nice. Most problems should be resolved other than normal ones that come up from time to time. How many miles? Do you have records on the engine repair? That is a big factor when the engine has already been overhauled. Have a mechanic check it out and then based on his recommendations buy it. No one on this site can evaluate it for you. Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #53

Unrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Yeah, it's a super nice coach and I don't want slides so it's really nice for me being a wide body. This isn't the first rig I've seen nor is it something I don't need, I could certainly use it and anticipate maybe going full time at some point in the near future so having such a nice coach would be great but when a rebuilt trans is going to run me $6k the GM 4L80e starts to look appealing at 1/3 the cost. Anyway, the Vogue is REALLY hard for me to pass on and I'm not totally against it still I just don't have much to any room for anything unexpected which I don't think is realistic on a coach of that vintage.
Anyone who is concerned with maintenance and/or fuel costs should not buy a motorhome. We are about to embark on an 8,000 mile trip with a budget of $4,000.00 for gas. Personally, I think you should say "boy, that is nice" and run the other way. Being handy with a gasser does NOT transfer to a diesel. Sorry but you asked.
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Pass, to old...dated... If you did buy it you'd never ever get your money back..
You will lose a lot less on this than a newer version. Simple economics. Newer coaches lose value like a tick falling off a cliff.
Do what you want to.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #55

No doubt she's a beauty!

I reviewed every post to this point.

Just in case you do decide purchase her [I feel you are still sitting on the fence]... for a cautionary note: I feel I should add a couple of potentially costly things regarding aged items. As well as mentioning smart-cost "preventative maintenance" improvements such as I recently accomplished on a really nice 1996 Tiffin Allegro 25'6' gasser, that was and is in great condition, with only 36K miles; we purchased March 23, 2019.

1. I don't see total miles on the coach in the ad... perhaps you know. Importantly... such as another member mentioned and which you answered confidently in a positive manner... I too have to ask... How complete/good/professional was the full-on engine rebuild? Seems there must have been some reason other than "the owner just wanted to" for "no real reason" have the 1,000,000 capable engine suddenly rebuilt at seemingly low mileage. That makes no sense to me, but, different strokes for different folks. Keep your eyes wide open on that topic. At very least, I'd want to speak with the actual hands-on mechanic that performed the rebuild

2. With approaching three [3] decades age - much of the plastic and rubber on many items age past service life [i.e. they too often dry out and rot/crack/chip]. Meaning... you may have some unexpected needs arise in a plethora of locations/options on that big, complex rig. Think - Fridge, heater, AC [cab and roof], shower, sinks, plumbing to holding tanks as well as tanks themselves and their drains or filler tubes. For just a glimpse on expense of complete cab AC restoration: Last year it cost me just under $4k [M&L] to have every part and parcel on my 1967 Buick Wildcat AC replaced. Because of it's age has simply wore it out! I'm not saying this coach will necessarily need the same... but keep that expense in mind

3. If you get any older RV rig... I believe you should do such as we immediately did; which was to put our very well previously maintained 36K mile 1996 coach [a much smaller gasser having all excellent maintenance records on board] into my favorite big-rig mechanic shop for total going over. Any necessary new wire ends, all new hoses, belts, clamps, bearings etc... with all fluids drained, flushed and filled. Complete engine tune up of all its portions All brakes fully checked, front and rear end sway bar bushings checked, rear end opened and pressure flushed, gear teeth closely checked, axils pulled. New ez reach extension air pressure hoses added onto suspension air-bags. New ez reach air pressure nipples put on duals in rear. And more. That came to $4,975. BUT - because I trust those guys like brothers and the fact that for the several days my rig was in their shop I had time between business jaunts to stop by and review progress... I'm confident there are thousands fun miles with little to no problem ahead of us. BTW, although the rear four tires are less than 2 yrs old with no need of replacement now... the front two also look great too... but... they are are 7 yrs old... therefore another $400 +/- will be spent to replace them before we leave town! And, I spent some $800 worth of labor and materials having a couple of my construction workers tear out and replace every location of caulk on the rig's top and sides as well as to simonize its exterior and wash down its entire interior. This is not to mention the day's worth of odds n' ends that Linda and I did to get her stocked and in the ways we want her supplied/equipped. Even though she came pretty well setup with "things"... I'm still buying this that and the other item for the oncoming ease of boon docking and park enjoyment

If I were in your position I'd take a real careful look at my bank account of now and what it will be for the next few years. I'd think really long and hard as to whether this rig is good for me to own. Then, I'd make a firm discussion. Something tells me you may still buy this RV. Please realize one hard rule... DO NOT purchase by falling in love before really knowing what you are getting into. It's OK to fall in love with an lifeless material object after purchase - BUT NOT BRFORE... because, the love emotion can darkly cloud your better judgment!

Good Luck!

Art

Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I owned an '89 Vogue with the same 6V92 and ZF transmission... That ZF is the same transmission used in the Los Angeles City garbage trucks - it is practically bullet-proof. If you don't feel comfortable with your finances, that is OK, but that grand old lady will keep on running without a lot of costly repairs for a long time...
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome