Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Help me with deciding on roof

I have had lots of different RV's. The diesel pusher was the best, but no matter what, I want my next one to be a class A -- Less work.

My last class A had a fiberglass roof, I think I want that again. Or will get an aluminum roof. I don't want "rubber" again.

I will buy pre-owned -- much better value. Problem is, I don't know what brands and models have which roof.

Year range will be 2000 to 2010, for those years. Who has what roof?
Thanks for helping me with my research. I have been on this forum through lots of changes in my RV life. It has been great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kiwi,
Some Newmar Mountain Aire CA's had a fiberglass roof. Not sure which years. If you find a Newmar Mountain Aire CA, one will need to ask. However, if the roof is not fiberglass it will be BriteTEC. For me, BriteTEC is as good as fiberglass. My roof is BriteTEC. It has been through 10 years of tornados, hurricanes and Florida sun. I wash it once a year and it looks almost as good as the day I took delivery (new).

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Kiwi,
Some Newmar Mountain Aire CA's had a fiberglass roof. Not sure which years. If you find a Newmar Mountain Aire CA, one will need to ask. However, if the roof is not fiberglass it will be BriteTEC. For me, BriteTEC is as good as fiberglass. My roof is BriteTEC. It has been through 10 years of tornados, hurricanes and Florida sun. I wash it once a year and it looks almost as good as the day I took delivery (new).
I can say the same for my BriteTEK. Good as the day it was put on.
I think I read somewhere these roofs are good for 25 years with proper maintenance but I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I'm glad I clicked on this post because I too really didn't know what to think about the rubber roof. So I take it as not being a deal breaker. I guess ask how old the roof is and then how do you know is condition other than just looking at it. Will it show some aging or cracking?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced the rubber roof on our 5er after 10 years. Nothing wrong with the rubber but the manufacturer did not do a good job with installing the air conditioner. The roof leaked and I had to replace the sheeting. Could have reused the rubber if I would have taken the time to clean up the rubber.

It was easier to spend 500 for new EPDM after replacing the roof sheeting with plywood.

The old rubber showed very little aging. Would have been good for at least another 10 years.

We have a fiberglass roof on the MH. The rubber roof is much quieter.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

I've had both and can't tell the difference. Do the required maintenance and they shall last a long time. But like I told my better half, don't get the horse before the barn.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I'm glad I clicked on this post because I too really didn't know what to think about the rubber roof. So I take it as not being a deal breaker. I guess ask how old the roof is and then how do you know is condition other than just looking at it. Will it show some aging or cracking?
There are signs (that I am aware of) as to the condition of a rubber roof.

- Look for black or dark spots indicating the white coating has deteriorated.
- look for bubbles which indicate the rubber is no longer bonded to the sub structure (plywood)
- look at all the joints for signs of cracking/peeling. This is not a bad thing, it just means some elbow grease to remove old caulking (Dicor Self Levelling Sealant) clean and reseal. There is a product called Eternabond that is being used to recondition old joints with success but I have not used it.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I replaced the rubber roof on our 5er after 10 years. Nothing wrong with the rubber but the manufacturer did not do a good job with installing the air conditioner. The roof leaked and I had to replace the sheeting. Could have reused the rubber if I would have taken the time to clean up the rubber.

It was easier to spend 500 for new EPDM after replacing the roof sheeting with plywood.

The old rubber showed very little aging. Would have been good for at least another 10 years.

We have a fiberglass roof on the MH. The rubber roof is much quieter.

I figured they were probably much quieter especially in a hail storm
Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #9

I have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star gasser and it has a fiberglass roof. It was an option installed when the original owner ordered the coach. So if looking used you proceed to climb up and look.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
2012 Thor Astoria w/ a TPO roof
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay w/fiberglass roof
2003 Jayco Granite Ridge (Class C ) w/runner roof
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #11

Any Winnebago has fiberglass. I also believe that Tiffins have fiberglass roofs. You do have to do maintenance on all of them on a regular basis.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are one to park in the shade under trees, avoid rubber roofs as the tree branches are like to poke holes in the rubber. The "little" holes are very difficult to spot when doing maintenance inspections. As to fiberglass being noisey, if it really bothers you paint a coat of rubberized material on it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

I have had fiberglass on a Winnebago so I know they use fiberglass, EDPM on a 5ver and now a TPO on my Fleetwood. I prefer the TPO. It is quieter as others have said and no black streks like the EDPM. TPO is used on commercial buildings as is EDPM. So far I am happy with TPO over the others. I don't know if Fleetwood uses TPO on all rigs.

Tags
roof