Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
HELP need a P-30 trans shift cable

I need help finding a GM P-30 Shift Cable - make a long story short, well not really short.

I have a 1997 Damon Daybreak 2630 GM P-30 Chassis that has been in storage for 4 years (been in Afghanistan 8 - 9 mo's out of every 12 since the beginning of 2010 after doing the same for 2 years in Iraq), when getting ready to put it on the road after returning from Iraq I found out I was heading to Afghanistan, we found a local what looked like a really nice 1994 Fleetwood Southwind GM p-30 chassis - and decided to purchase that so the DW and I could have more time doing some traveling before I re-deployed - BIG MISTAKE (had a truck shop look it over and they said it was in great shape for the price - this rig turned into money pit on the two trips we took - good sam actually contacted us about the number of calls in one month LOL).

While traveling through South Carolina we hit a dip (unmarked) on the interstate that caused the air suspension to collapse which in turn caused the oil pressure line to rupture which in turn caused a engine fire from the oil hitting the manifold and transmission shift cable - got parked and put the fire out (good sam road assistance came out since at that time we did not know where all the oil was coming from - after an hour finally found the problem and they fixed it) but when we went to leave it would not shift, discovered that the heat caused the plastic sleeve to melt onto the cable basically keeping it in park. Ended up driving it from South Carolina to our home in central West Virginia by crawling underneath and manually shifting it with a wrench into park when stopping - after we got home I took the cable off of our damon which match perfectly so we could trade in the southwind for our current Freedom Elite.

Now that I am back for good it is time to get the Damon on the road and sell it - Purchased Tires and other little things it needed (really surprised at how nice the interior stayed - no leaks just a spring cleaning) now all we need is the cable which runs from the bottom of the steering column to the transmission - GM discontinued it and I have not been able to find any salvage yards that have P-30's

Does anyone know of any salvage yards for Class A's

Thanks in advance
Gunny
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Gunny,

First, for your service.

Check any of these or eBay. If you have the discontinued part number they may be able to cross ref it or make one for it, or you may find one on eBay.

Teleflex Control Cable Cross Reference

Morse Cable ยป Hindle Controls

https://www.cccables.com/
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Hi gunny, thanks for your service and for all the sacrifices you and your DW made to protect our freedom . You may want to try http://www.stepvanparts.com. I believe that they may have parts for your chassis or know where to go. There are always the salvage yards like visone Rv and colaw Rv that are in the salvage business and can help. Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote