Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
A few years ago, there were some threads about the 6 or 9 pin connector (I don't remember which) getting wet and/or corroded. This connector is in the generator compartment, and once cleaned, solved some generator starting issues. One of the issues I remember was the generator would start on its own. I know this is not your issue, but this connector is associated with other issues also. Maybe you'll get lucky.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
A few years ago, there were some threads about the 6 or 9 pin connector (I don't remember which) getting wet and/or corroded. This connector is in the generator compartment, and once cleaned, solved some generator starting issues. One of the issues I remember was the generator would start on its own. I know this is not your issue, but this connector is associated with other issues also. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Thanks everyone for your responses and I wanted to update the status of my Generator issue. The problem on my Onan 8000 generator started after arriving back in storage from a trip to the local Cat shop for service. The service was not on the generator and did not cause the problem noted in my first and subsequent post. The Onan trouble shooting data indicated a bad ground issue. Thanks to 94-Newmar a forum member and Onan tech he suggested that I try unplugging my wiring harness that is attached to the front of the generator and then try starting the generator with the switch on the generator. After doing this the generator started right up. Based on this 94Newmar felt that there was a ground problem either at the wiring harness or one of the remote switches. I started with the wiring harness and cleaned it up and then plugged back in and the generator started at the switch on the generator and the remote switches as well. That was good but still did not answer what caused a bad ground issue.

Fast forward a few weeks. I have covered enclosed storage so when I started trying to figure this problem out a few weeks back I left the generator slide pulled out. No problem since I lock the doors when I am not there. But today as I was closing the generator slide something caught my eye. The dash AC condensation drain line when the slide is closed hangs right over the wiring harness on the generator. So the condensation would drip right on the connection. I had noticed for some time probably going back to when I bought the coach in March of 2013 that the Dash AC condensation tray was overflowing and so I assumed that the drain was stopped up but kept putting off looking in to this. Just a couple of weeks before I had the problem with the generator I took my air compressor and blew out the condensation drain line and then turned on the dash AC. That fixed it and the condensation was draining as it should out the line. But with the slide pulled out the drain line was at the rear of the generator so I did not give it any thought until today when I was closing the slide and saw that the hose was right over the wiring connection. Since it had been stopped up for some time no water was dripping the connection until I cleaned out the line. This seems to have been what caused the problem and 94-Newmar felt that as well. I have rerouted the drain line so I will see as time goes by and I hope that was all it was.

Thanks again for the replies and help.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan