Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #29

Has your painter ever worked on an RV? Hope he knows to paint the outside and not the inside.
SmithChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRABLE View Post
All you have to do is hook up an air compressor to your tank and there should be a place to do this. After you put some air in the tank she will start. I have a 30 ton link belt crane and after it sat for a while I had to air up the big tank and make her start right now.
Does you link belt have a 3 tank, dual air brake system ?

If you pick the wrong tank or use the fitting in the front, it may not fill the tank that sends air to the trans control.

Did anyone of the late posters read where the shop tried filling the tank and picked the wrong one ? The system is full of check valves.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #31

Air shifter Allison

We used to own a Country Coach with a 3208 Cat and Allison 4speed. My grandson parked MH in his parents driveway and the same thing happened. Just tell the painter to crawl under the coach and move the shifter on the trans all the way to one end (neutral). The problem is the neutral safety switch is not made. If that doesn’t do it move it to the other end of travel. It should start then.

Jim
Jcmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #32

What a screwy configuration.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #33

Have the painter crawl under the coach and move the shifter to neutral then it will start. Neutral is at one end of the shift lever travel (toward the front of the coach I believe).
Jim
Jcmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My 4 speed Country Coach Concept can be shifted manually underneath when not enough air to shift. Maybe it will help should this happen again.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #35
Dfb

Love to meet the Genius who came up with that set up. Air for airbags, yes, for exhaust brake, ok..., but tranny? ,,, give that guy a bone!..
Dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
.. coach sat all weekend..!
All weekend as in a whole two days...?
Dude, you got serious leakage. That's no bueno.
Jlbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #37

We have a 1990 Limited with the Allison 4-Speed.
The shift pattern is:. R-N-D-3-2-1
Neutral will be 2nd detent From one end or the other.
As for hooking up external air, our coach had a small door under the passenger window, in there are three ball valves, each hooks to the drains of each tank. The Beaver may not have it so convenient, but it's the same vintage as ours, and I imagine it has the the ports for draining the tanks.
Find the line that goes to the main tank, and you have the right place.
JorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Rear clip out of the booth!
Good morning. Where in Oregon did you take it? We live in the shadows of Mt.Hood.
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #39

Glad u got fixed. I was following that one like a soap opera.
Impressive the knowledge that is out there and the folks that don’t mind sharing are awesome.
miamibill95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #40

I had the same transmission. Crawl under the coach and move the shifting arm to neutral. Have someone in coach to let you know when it reads “N” for neutral. Only takes a couple minutes.... problem solved.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #41

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
1991 Beaver with 3176 cat mated to allison 4 speed... all air coach
throttle air
tranny air

we are painting her and painter pulled coach into shop and shut down while still in drive... coach sat all weekend... now when they try and start... it won't because its in drive... but the transmission won't shift due to lack of air pressure. can't get pressure because engine won't start!

any help much appreciated!
a paint shop with no Air pressure? you should always carry a AIR hose fifty feet to blow up tires and also for air blow nozzle to clean things. which you could connect from your Motor Home AIR Tanks to the shop AIR TANKS ALSO having some pipe fittings of various size to adapt. In your case with no Air go to Walmart or some Parts store that sells LITTLE AIR pumps to blow up Tires that plug into a lighter socket or wire some alligator clips onto it to connect with your Battery so you can charge your air system up with your new hose fittings and adaptors.. You could also try with some tools, sliding underneath to your Transmission to move shift linkage back to park.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbuyer View Post
All weekend as in a whole two days...?
Dude, you got serious leakage. That's no bueno.
Ok guys 1st off... the coach sat for 42 days prior to the painter moving it briefly from one bay to another bay. I have had catapiller go through the chassis meticulously and we have no leaks... and i have never ever shut down the coach in drive.... and let it sit for 2 days... but i would not be wise to leave in drive and shut down @ any time. This coach is not idiot proof. I have no issues with air pressure bleeding off after days go buy... and the system runs flawlessly when used properly.

2nd off... the day i posted this the painter easily plugged in the air and pressured up the system and got coach moving again! so all is good. and thank you everyone for the help!

More pictures coming soon!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint