Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Help please

Hi I am viewing a P30 at the weekend and as its my first experience of motorhomes, I would like to know the fuel comnsumption i.e. mpg of the 7L and anything I should look for when viewing it, anything that goes wrong etc as it is 2nd hand, thank you x
amanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your not comfortable checking both the chassis and house system's; I would suggest that after you view the coach and test drive it, that if you really like the look and feel you make your final purchase contingent upon a satisfactory inspection by a qualified shop or mechanic. So many things that need an inspection by someone who has seen it all before-- money well spent in my opinion.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Type, size, model, year and weight would help in determining MPG. I have an 87 33' Allegro MH that weighs 14K max and I get around 6 to 7. If you are in that range and have a newer 454 you might get a bit more. You won't get 10 unless it's smaller, you are in a flat area, or a newer engine.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Hi Thanks for that. Its a 1995 Chevrolet Damon Challenger Motorhome and is 30ft long, I assume the mpg will be about 7 then?

Thanks Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Type, size, model, year and weight would help in determining MPG. I have an 87 33' Allegro MH that weighs 14K max and I get around 6 to 7. If you are in that range and have a newer 454 you might get a bit more. You won't get 10 unless it's smaller, you are in a flat area, or a newer engine.

Good Luck
Arnold
amanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Probably a little better. I get 9.5 MPG on my 1999 454 (motor home is a 2000, but the Workhorse/Chevy chassis is a 1999).
Learn about the AutoPark system. It's the only 'wart' on this otherwise well built chassis.
Front springs have an air bag in them - make sure it holds 50PSI of air. They wear out after about 10 years.
Check tires for the DOT date code. 10 years old is max for RVs - most RV tires don't wear out the tread, the tires just get too old and need replaced ($300 to $500 each).
It's a buyers market for used gasser RVs - if you buy it it will be hard to re-sell. Look ar NADA.com for the book price and don't go higher.
But most of all - just enjoy it. You'll have to learn a lot, but IRV2.com is a great place for that info.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

You should expect to 7mpg, maybe 8mpg occasionally. If you exceed 8mpg, you can do the happy dance!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote