RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Help please, stuck at campsite!

Hi guys, I hope you are all having a better day than I am. I have a 2005 Damon Challenger on a Ford F53 chassis with the V10 engine. We have camped for a couple of nights but a little while ago I raised the jacks to leave and after the jacks came up I turned the key to crank and the entire chassis electrical system went dead. No dash lights, no buzzer, no headlights, no crank, nothing.

I am trying to find a meter, but for now I have tapped jumper cables together while connected to the battery and got healthy sparks so I know the battery has power, at least enough to turn on some dash lights. I have looked at all of the under hood fuses and have tried jumping across the solenoids under the hood, still nothing. Please help, I really have no ideas without my meter.

Justin Tarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Bug

Does your rv have a switch that will allow you to start off the house batteries? My 07 flair has a little button I can hold if I run down my motors batters

Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

If I am not mistaken, your leveler system is powered off of the coach batteries. Have you checked all of the electrical connections to make sure that they are clean and tight. Having this indicates that there is a severely corroded connection and then trying to start simply "shorted out" what little connection was left, and the timing just may be coincidental.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Does your rv have a switch that will allow you to start off the house batteries? My 07 flair has a little button I can hold if I run down my motors batters

Also what are you getting when you try to start? Is it a repeating ticking sound? One tick then nothing? Nothing at all? Is there anyone who can jumpstart you? Maybe bang on the starter while you turn the key?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford uses a starter solenoid. I had a Bounder with V10. It would not start & no power. Check connections. Mine was mounted in right front area.
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Do you have the little electrical device called TRIK-L-START that takes a little bit of the house batteries current and gives it to the chassis batteries? I bought one and installed it a while back. That will eliminate those types of issues. This happened to me, so I understand.

On many RV's the charger only charges the house batteries. The alternator charges the chassis batteries, but if the engine has not been run for awhile, the chassis batteries will run down.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Do you have the little electrical device called TRIK-L-START that takes a little bit of the house batteries current and gives it to the chassis batteries? I bought one and installed it a while back. That will eliminate those types of issues. This happened to me, so I understand.

On many RV's the charger only charges the house batteries. The alternator charges the chassis batteries, but if the engine has not been run for awhile, the chassis batteries will run down.
Check the main switch for the chassis, normally located near the batteries. Occasionally the contacts can go bad on them
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the quick replies guys, it turned out to be a broken battery terminal tension bolt. We are heading home now but I didnít want to leave this hanging for future searchers.

Thanks again!
Justin Tarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.

Safe travels.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #10

I was going to suggest a jumper cable as a ground to engine , battery to frame or frame or engine depending on setup. Works on cars bad engine grounds as well of course.Glad your going and posted solution. Hate when I read pages of help and no follow up from poster. Like tearing out chapter in a book.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tarver View Post
Thanks for all of the quick replies guys, it turned out to be a broken battery terminal tension bolt. We are heading home now but I didnít want to leave this hanging for future searchers.

Thanks again!
Thanks much for the report.

Have a safe trip.

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote