RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 AM   #1

Help propane tank

Hi, I live in Italy and i've an american RV.
I need replace the propane tank (my is 20.3 gall. 27 lenght) because is very old and rustly.

Here in Italy don't sell this kind of tanks.
Solution:
or i buy an european tank but i nedd change a lot of lpg line component also
very expensive
or i buy in in america directly.

So I'd like ask you for information or contacts to be able to buy the tank in America directly.

Thank you
regards
Alessandro
sorry for my bad languadge

lllsandrolll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Manchester Tank

http://www.mantank.com

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:09 AM   #3

Not sure what size you'll need, but this place might be a good place to purchase. http://tweetys.com/RV-ASME-Vapor-Tank-s.aspx
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a little bit confused about "i nedd change a lot of lpg line component also " all the fittings I am seeing on the 2 American RV's I've had seem to match the stuff I can get in the UK (with the exception of the filler which I have an adaptor for but there are 3/4 different fillers in the EU anyway).

There are plenty of sellers of LPG tanks used to convert vehicles to run off LPG in Europe, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one off the shelf to fit or even get one made to your specifications for cheaper than the shipping (and import duty/VAT, etc.) from the US.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 AM   #5

only this tank is possible buy for rv/s services.
http://www.impiantigpl.net/serbatoi-...060-l-656.html

But I have to change types of anchor, not compatible with the lock room, change the gas gauge, plug etc. etc etc
tot amount with mounting 1.200 euro

The automotive tanks aren't compatible with services.
The emission from rv services tanks is vapor, in automotive is liquid
Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
lllsandrolll,

I want to fully understand your question so please tell me about your RV and its propane tank.

1. Is your RV a motor home such as a Class A (bus type - Holiday Rambler), Class B (van type - Ford Econoline), or type C (motor home body on a larger Ford or Chevy chassis) all of which have built in propane tanks, or is it a towed trailer with external propane tanks?

2. Is the tank leaking?

3. Is the tank's metal getting weak - does it look like the rust is getting so bad that the metal is getting thin?

The reason I ask is because the propane tanks on US motor homes (with built-in tanks) tend to get rusty but they are perfectly safe to use. The metal on these tanks is very thick and surface rust has little or no effect on their functioning.
GrandpaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Based on the OP's profile, he has a 2000 Phoenix Cruiser 26'. I believe that is either a Class B+ or a Class C. At any rate, I think it would have a built in tank and not a portable travel trailer type tank.
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:12 AM   #8

Is a 26" class C, ford E350 Heavy Duty like this:
Annuncio 735082 | Camper usati Phoenix E450 | shoppingcamper.it

The ASME tank is a 20.3 Gal. Manchester maded :
Brand New ASME Propane Tank 20.3 Gal (85 lbs), Manufactured 2016 GREAT VALUE | eBay

Not leaking.
Is out of date (2000 maded).

Rusty lower part due to the water raised by the wheels because the tank is mounted inside an open housing in the lower.
i will send Photos as soon as possible

Thank you
Alessandro
Old 07-04-2017, 04:50 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Alessandro, Good Morning.
Welcome to irv2, the people on here will be more than happy to help you find the proper tank.
Today July 4th is a American Holiday, similar to your May 1st. So Stores are closed today. If you contact Tweety’s, there is a 8 hour time difference from Texas to Rome. Most U.S. companies are open 0800 - 1700.
I recommend you communicate via E-Mail, this should eliminate any confusion.

I have included contact information with Manchester Tank Company, you will not be able to order your tank through them, but they may have useful information and possibly contact info for importing.

Manchester Tank: Contact Us
Old 07-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tank walls are rather thick, maybe 3 to 5 mm, and will need years exposed to a corrosive environment before the tank is compromised. Rather than replacement consider having the tank cleaned and repainted locally.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllsandrolll View Post
Hi, I live in Italy and i've an american RV.
I need replace the propane tank (my is 20.3 gall. 27 lenght) because is very old and rustly.

Here in Italy don't sell this kind of tanks.
Solution:
or i buy an european tank but i nedd change a lot of lpg line component also
very expensive
or i buy in in america directly.

So I'd like ask you for information or contacts to be able to buy the tank in America directly.

Thank you
regards
Alessandro
sorry for my bad languadge
Just because the tank is "old and rusty" doesn't mean it has to be replaced. They can be removed and repainted. I removed and repainted the one on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer and the one on our 2013 Adventurer. Both had gotten terribly rusty from the winter road salt, but neither had to be replaced.

I would suggest removing it and using POR 15 paint.
Stop Rust with POR-15 - We Know What Permanent Means!

It forms a rock hard shell that will never rust again and won't be damaged by road debris or salt. You can buy it in a kit with all the necessary components. It took less than a pint of paint to do each of our tanks. The 2001 had a 28 gallon tank and the 2013 has a 23 gallon tank.

The paint alone is a bit expensive at $35.00 per pint or $50.00 per quart, but you'll never have to repaint the tank again. I would use the silver. It's supposed to have more metal content that helps fill in any pits.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllsandrolll View Post
Is a 26" class C, ford E350 Heavy Duty like this:
Annuncio 735082 | Camper usati Phoenix E450 | shoppingcamper.it

The ASME tank is a 20.3 Gal. Manchester maded :
Brand New ASME Propane Tank 20.3 Gal (85 lbs), Manufactured 2016 GREAT VALUE | eBay

Not leaking.
Is out of date (2000 maded).

Rusty lower part due to the water raised by the wheels because the tank is mounted inside an open housing in the lower.
i will send Photos as soon as possible

Thank you
Alessandro
Unless your rules in regards to automotive propane tanks are different than North America, there is no expiry on automotive tanks.
They are not the same as a cylinder that you use on your bbq.
The criteria for those are different than a cylinder, most LPG dealers can
tell you if it is still serviceable.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The tank walls are rather thick, maybe 3 to 5 mm, and will need years exposed to a corrosive environment before the tank is compromised. Rather than replacement consider having the tank cleaned and repainted locally.
That was my thoughts as I was reading the replies. If the tank is not severely pitted, it can be cleaned and repainted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It's a pressure vessel so *in theory* it should be retested at the 10 years point as I understand it (although I don't know of any RV'er this side of the Atlantic that has done so), this would almost certainly entail removing it anyway but it may still be significantly cheaper than getting a new one, it could be cleaned and painted at the same time.

ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank