Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Help...relocating TV

I want to remove my old factory installed TV and install a new one in a different location. My rig has a cabinet with a counter mid coach that would be perfect for a new TV (pictured behind booth). It is a more desirable location as more people could watch TV from the sofa and the front captainsí chairs. The new location has a receptacle for all the components. The cable and original antenna wire is all, I think, that would be the issue. The cable wire runs from the rear the coach to the front now.

Has anyone done this? Would this be a major wiring project to relocate the TV? Where are the wires run? What am I not considering?

My DHís friend with a cabinet shop will add doors where the old TV is and another friend is with Direct TV. The quality of their workmanship I trust but need to know about the unforeseen as I do not want a total renovation or to reinvent the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	17390  

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't done it but I wouldn't foresee any problems. Seems like it's thought out already.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Sandi, Sounds like you have all bases covered, so go for it...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Help...relocating TV

I have been able to run new wires through the A/C ducts easily, then drop into the cabinet above the new TV location.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I would assume you have at least two TV inputs now. A roof top OTA antenna and a Campground Cable connector near the back driver side of the rig. A third and fourth cable could come from a Satellite Antenna.

I would assume you have a Video Selector Switch mounted some where near the current TV.

If the above is correct, then you will need to run at least one cable from the Selector Switch to the new TV.

In my non slide rig with the TV mounted over the driver chair and Video Switch Cabinet over the navigator chair, I have used a Wire Fish Tape to run wires to the rear of the rig on both sides above the ceiling. You may be able to do the same.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Thank you Dean, I answered within your post:

I would assume you have at least two TV inputs now. A roof top OTA antenna and a Campground Cable connector near the back driver side of the rig. Correct
A third and fourth cable could come from a Satellite Antenna. No Satellite

I would assume you have a Video Selector Switch mounted some where near the current TV. I have more switches on a mounted control box for front & rear TV, cable, etc, etc.

If the above is correct, then you will need to run at least one cable from the Selector Switch to the new TV. Correct

In my non slide rig with the TV mounted over the driver chair and Video Switch Cabinet over the navigator chair, I have used a Wire Fish Tape to run wires to the rear of the rig on both sides above the ceiling. You may be able to do the same.

Wire Fish Tape? I do not know what this is (but will find out), and we do have a long slide.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
A wire fish tape is used by electricians to run wires through a cavity to a new location. The wire you want brought through is then tied/taped to the wire fish tape and pulled back through the cavity.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put a 32" on the "hutch" in my Tradewinds that is very similar to the one you have. You'll need to drill a hole through your top to bring the wiring up though if you are using a sat system like I am. We ran the wiring from the sat through the ceiling duct work then brought it down through the bath cabinet behind the living room wall and into the base cabinet below where the new TV sits. We put our didh reciever in the base cabinet below the TV (we have to leave the door open slightly to change channels). The power cord for the reciever goes up through the hole in the counter top and plugs into a power strip that is plugged into the wall outlet. The other wires from the reciever also travel up through that hole and plug into the set. We secured the set with 4 large strap locks and the TV set hasn't moved in a year and a half of full timing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv 002.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	17408  
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You'll also notice our Wii game setting next to the TV, secured with some Velcro and wired into the TV. I added the "hutch legs" last summer to help support the upper cabinet as it carries quite a bit of weight.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my 03 of the same foor plan---the selector box is above the passengers seat. You can access the selector box and run the cable down the side of the passenger side windshield----the interior windshield trim removes with just a few screws (just not sure of the 05 model). the cable can be run down that area and the trim piece replaced. Below that is the wheel well area and behind is the upper basement area which already has bundled wires----use flexible conduit and get some zip ties and bundle your Tv cable onto that batch until you reach the rear of the basement then go accross and you are basically right under neath the cabinet. Power is in the slide already so can be run to the cabinet---or my breaker box is located in the hall just arond the corner for power from there. I'm fairly sure your set up is about the same. This is a comparitively easy deal---after you are done the cabinet TV will respond to the selector box just like your old one did---I think you will have more trouble deciding what kind and size of TV will fit your new location. Good luck---nice conversion--from time to time we think of doing it ourselves; instead I mounted a 32 inch flat screen above in the same location. The 03's came with an unbelievably heavy CRT up there---glad it is gone. Our Samsung looks great.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #11

Great info everyone.

Dan, that is exactly what I want to do.

Norm, our layouts seem to be the same. Trying to get enough coax wire for the conversion box was a nightmare with cabinet spacing, tiny openings and how tight all the wires were behind the cabinet. No easy way to get to these.

I went by to see JJ’s replacement of his TV. At that time I was thinking of replacing the original TV but once we installed the new conversion box it has a beautiful picture. I do not have an issue with this TV except for it's location. I had 3 guest with me recently and realized the back booth was the only place someone could sit and watch the TV straight on.

I wonder why this center front TV placement was used for so long.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
Great info everyone.

Dan, that is exactly what I want to do.

Norm, our layouts seem to be the same. Trying to get enough coax wire for the conversion box was a nightmare with cabinet spacing, tiny openings and how tight all the wires were behind the cabinet. No easy way to get to these.

I went by to see JJís replacement of his TV. At that time I was thinking of replacing the original TV but once we installed the new conversion box it has a beautiful picture. I do not have an issue with this TV except for it's location. I had 3 guest with me recently and realized the back booth was the only place someone could sit and watch the TV straight on.

I wonder why this center front TV placement was used for so long.
Silly me while I was walking my dog this evening it occured to me that the hutch already has power to it so adapting power was unnecessary--makes the job even easier. Getting to the wires in th AV cabinet is a pain but I have plunged in there before and always found a way. Funny thing some times when I am at our combination desk and table (I made it to replace our original free standing table we had instead of the booth) I find myself watching TV in the mirror of the hutch. Works fine as long as you remember every thing is mirror image.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote