Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Help RV Garage 20, 30 or 50 amp?

We will be running electricity to our new MH garage and I was asked if I wanted 20, 30 or 50 amp service? 30 & 50 will require 250 feet under ground run and extra expense. To me 50 would be over kill for any situation. 30 amps would allow a/c use for an extra bedroom if ever needed and 20 amps would keep the refrigerator running.

We are only doing this once so I need to get it right. Can anyone think of a real reason to need any more than the 20 amps for 99.9% of the time in a parked MH?

Do you keep your RV plugged it when it is not in use or parked between outings?

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked the price difference between the 30 & 50 system? I did not when I had mine installed a few months ago for the simple reason I could not see much of a difference in the cost of materials. In fact I had a 50 amp put in each end of the garage the cost difference in the heavier gauge wire and style of plug did not off set the "what if" factor in case I wanted bigger in the future. Labor was basically the same for 20/30/50 amp service install.

I ran a new service panel and meter to the garage so I had to run wire for the RV plug regardless of the size service chosen, and as you say you only want to do it once.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

My grandson is doing the labor so that cost is not the issue. Being new to RVing I am not sure why I would need the 50 amp at any time when at home and was wondering about the 30.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm absolutely positive I will never need the 50 while parked in the garage in fact up here even in the middle of the summer running 2 AC units at one time is not needed. Last summer I ran a single AC on the 20 amp circuit mind you I only had it parked and was not using anything else except a vacuum cleaner intermittently.

It was that "what if" factor that drove me I had to pay an electrician so while the walls were open and everything else was going up I chose to have it done.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #5

If you are going to want to run the A/C (perhaps if a guest was staying in the unit) I would go with 30 amps. If you don't have two A/C units then I don't see how you'd need more power than that.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I have 50 amp service and installed it myself. Prior to the 50 amp I installed 30 amp for a previous MH that would only handle 30. I keep my MH on shore power all the time, fridge on, ACs on, both of them when the temps start getting warmer. Texas heat will require both units later on.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

I ran a 100 amp service to my pole barn which is 350 ft. from my service panel in my house. I chose to use a 30 amp breaker in the service panel in the pole barn for the motorhome. I can run one AC and the fridge, furnace or whatever as long as it is under 30 amps. In the shade of the barn one AC is plenty, with 70 amps left over for the barn, however, the cost difference between 30 & 50 amp service is minute. Basically the difference of the higher amp breaker & larger wire gage.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

As my garage is a metal building designed only to protect the exterior from the elements I don’t need electricity for anything other than the RV.

In most campsites we visit there is only 30 amp service and the one compressor in the belly air works just fine. I’ve never thought of keeping the AC on but was wondering about the heat in the winter. But if the temp was low enough to freeze the gas heat would come on not the heat pump. Right?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Generally speaking, unless someone is going to live in the motorhome in the summer heat, I'd only do 30 amp.
The cost difference in materials is huge, double easily for 4 six gauge coppers rather than 3 eights. Copper ain't cheap these days.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #10

well i have to agree with some of the others the "what ifs" ,, i would go 50 amp ,, u can always seperate it down to what u really need after that ,, i did the same for my MH ,, i also have it in a garage ,, but i installed a 50 amp service inside ,, and also a 30 amp and 20 amp on the outside ,, that is for times when we come home for a short stay ,, and want to keep stuff running ,, plus the 20 amp outside plug helps when i need am extra plug in for anything outside
tnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has to live outside. I installed a campground style pedestal with 50 30 and 20 amp service. While I had the trench open I also ran water, cable, and a Cat 5e cable. We use it as a "casita" on our horse property, thus the overkill. I want to be able to run both A/C units on those 95+ degree days and I too only wanted to do it once.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #12

MH service

This last summer we built a 44'x44' comple that has a ceiling tall enough for our motorhome. I ran 125 amp service to the complex and then did a 30 amp service just for the motor home. I felt that IF I needed to run both AC units then I would fire up the on board generator. My main concern was to be able to keep the frig going during the months that we use it and to keep the batteries charged.
I guess that if you have a choice go with the 50 amp service, since you are olny going to do it once.
For us 30 amp was/is enough.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #13

When I built my building approximately 200' from my house, we installed a 30 amp service to a new panel in the building. In the 7 years since we built the building, we've never popped a breaker and run anything we wish including one a/c at a time. We do keep the mh plugged in and I strongly suggest a good surge protector in the system at all times. Don't ask me why I recommend this--I'm sure you can guess!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
As suggested above you can put in a limited system or one that has reserve.
The difference is type of cable 8/3 for 30 amp or 6/3 for 50 amp. Keep in mind
a 250 foot run will have a voltage drop as you increase demand. Also if you plan
to use electric heat in the winter you are going to be very near max with a 30 amp service. Putting in a service that is ran near max is not a good idea for several
reasons.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote