Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Help--Southwind won't start!

Hi
New member from central Texas. We have a 35 ft Southwind and enjoy going to the Gulf every chance we can get and camp on beach. we have a question that hope someone can help us with.
we have a 454 Chevy engine. just installed a new heavy duty battery and still no start. it clicks but wont even try to turn over. last time we were out it always started so thought it was the battery. any ideas? would appreciate help, Stumped!!!

Thanks
DAdams
logghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome, fellow Texan. I'm not much help with mechanical problems, so hopefully someone will be along soon with some answers.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just because it new doesnt mean its charged... Did you charge it first?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi DAdams, welcome to the forum. If the battery is charged, you may need a new starter selenoid.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Is the problem all the time, or only after its been running for a while? I know some of these had problems with "hot start", the starter was too close to one of the exhaust pipes or headers. The long term solution was to install a shield between them. Others had fuel lines that ran too close to the exhaust and they'd get vapor lock, again after stopping with a hot engine.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

There is another thing you could try. If when turning the key to the start position and you hear the starter relay click in means you are getting some juice to the starter. So, if the battery is fully charged then it could be the connection to the starter is dirtry or loose and not getting enough voltage to turn over the starter. Disconnect and check wires and clean all connectors then try again. If you still just get a click sound then it most likely the solnoid or starter itself. Good Luck
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by logghome View Post
Hi
New member from central Texas. We have a 35 ft Southwind and enjoy going to the Gulf every chance we can get and camp on beach. we have a question that hope someone can help us with.
we have a 454 Chevy engine. just installed a new heavy duty battery and still no start. it clicks but wont even try to turn over. last time we were out it always started so thought it was the battery. any ideas? would appreciate help, Stumped!!!

Thanks
DAdams
Check the connections at the starter. You might have a loose connection or a corroded connection. Clean them up and give it a try. I have had your problem on one of my old Chevy trucks with a Gas V8. Loosed connections that actually looked and felt tight. Have fun. Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds to me like a bad ground or a starter solnoid. It could also be the bendix within the starter. I once had a Fleetwood/Pace Arrow with a 454 engine. Mine had the shields to protect the starter from heat. also had heat shields to protect the sparkplugs from excessive heat. Good luck. Try jump starting, could be the new batterys aren't up to full charge.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #9

Thanks fr advice

You are all awesome, thanks for the different ideas. We will try the easiest first, lose connectors. That would be nice. Battery fully charged and this has never happened, started good about 3 weeks ago.new battery has not help, power there you can hear a click, but wont even try to turn over.

Thanks again
DA
logghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #10

If it clicks one time each time you atempt to start I would bet it is the solnoid. I have had bad solnoids several times. It is attached to the starter so you must remove them together unless you have more room than I did. Some solnoids can be taken apart and cleaned, there is a spring loaded disk and two contacts to clean if they are not burned badly.
If you hear the starter spin and the engine does not turn then it the starting gear or (Bindex)
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Why not use the old way of a screw driver to short across the two large terminals on the starter ? If it cranks, you have a bad solenoid . ??
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Not all of us like a spark shower.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Not all of us like a spark shower.
Very True. Sorry, guess I'm still stuck in old car days when things were better accessed from above. Not so in the case of motorhomes... Was thinking more as an emergency thing to get home... Not for everyday "proper" troubleshooting.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #14

I would still use a screwdriver if I suspected the solenoid or wanted to spin up the starter motor to see if it was working ok.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote