RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Help! Stop engine light and power loss, stuck on the road!

Well, I guess it's my year for motorhome issues. I left Virginia this morning after topping off with diesel, up to that point no issues with the engine. About 400 miles later my stop engine light would briefly flash between 68-70 MPH on the interstate. Normally I cruise along at 65 so I figured not an issue, I could make the last 120 miles to my destination.

The problem quickly progressed and began alarming at lower RPM/speed depending upon whether the engine was working or drifting along. I decided to play it safe by pulling into a rest stop rather than risking a tow, at that point it was problematic over 55 MPH. No other symptoms other than acting like fuel starvation at highway speed.

I'm hopeful the problem is a plugged primary filter, however, I have a mechanic (hopefully) coming to the rest stop in the morning to extract codes and change the filters. I carry one spare for primary and secondary, but will buy more asap.

Am I on the right track with this?

Regards,

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

That's the first thing I'd suspect.

Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
That's the first thing I'd suspect.
Was hoping for some reassurance it's a difficult spot to be in for sure.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Filters are always the first thing to change but I would be checking for water in the fuel since you say this happened after you topped off. Easy to check if you have the water fuel separator type fuel filter.

Be sure and come back to let us know how you make out.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #5

I'm wondering if I should change both the filters, the primary is an easy change, the one on the engine is not, especially in a parking lot. If the mechanic fails to show (they have not told me for certain that he will be available) I'm doing it myself and hopefully can catch any fluid drippings with plastic garbage bags.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #6

I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. It was just getting dark so I pulled into a rest stop for the night. Called Freightliner and they thought it was a clogged fuel filter. They directed me to a shop 50 miles up the road. Went there in the morning and they found out it was a computer module that runs the fuel filter. A 15 min fix but they didn’t have the part. Overnighted it and installed the next day for $100. No problem since.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Filters are always the first thing to change but I would be checking for water in the fuel since you say this happened after you topped off. Easy to check if you have the water fuel separator type fuel filter.

Be sure and come back to let us know how you make out.
The engine filter has a drain on it, so that one is easy to check for water without removal if I can reach it laying on the engine. The primary, in line filter, is a large non draining type so I'll dump the contents into a dish to check it.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. It was just getting dark so I pulled into a rest stop for the night. Called Freightliner and they thought it was a clogged fuel filter. They directed me to a shop 50 miles up the road. Went there in the morning and they found out it was a computer module that runs the fuel filter. A 15 min fix but they didn’t have the part. Overnighted it and installed the next day for $100. No problem since.
Another thing to check, thanks for the tip. Hopefully the filters do the trick, however, I did sustain rain from the hurricane all day yesterday while driving and all night last night. Possible water in some controls or in the fuel somehow. Who knows...
Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just a couple of questions. Have you ever changed the filters before? Have you ever installed them dry?

The only time I ever installed my filters dry I air locked my engine and it took me two days to get it started. Unless I had enough diesel to fill the filters I would not change them. Then again others will tell you you can just cycle the key and all will be good. Didn't work for me.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Another thing to check, thanks for the tip. Hopefully the filters do the trick, however, I did sustain rain from the hurricane all day yesterday while driving and all night last night. Possible water in some controls or in the fuel somehow. Who knows...

If you were driving in heavy rain check to see if your air filter is soaked. Happens more often than you would think.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:12 AM   #11

Monkey Run

What engine do you have and do you have the code(s) that was depicted on your display?
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

You need one of these to read the code its getting. Figuring out what the computer is reading to give you the engine light, is like a shot gun approach. One of these scanners, and a set of codes will tell you what the computer is seeing. Good luck.
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/
Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Well, I guess it's my year for motorhome issues. I left Virginia this morning after topping off with diesel, up to that point no issues with the engine. About 400 miles later my stop engine light would briefly flash between 68-70 MPH on the interstate. Normally I cruise along at 65 so I figured not an issue, I could make the last 120 miles to my destination.

The problem quickly progressed and began alarming at lower RPM/speed depending upon whether the engine was working or drifting along. I decided to play it safe by pulling into a rest stop rather than risking a tow, at that point it was problematic over 55 MPH. No other symptoms other than acting like fuel starvation at highway speed.

I'm hopeful the problem is a plugged primary filter, however, I have a mechanic (hopefully) coming to the rest stop in the morning to extract codes and change the filters. I carry one spare for primary and secondary, but will buy more asap.

Am I on the right track with this?

Regards,

Don

Fuel pump
ACOMA1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #14

What motor?

ACOMA1889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light, power