Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

HELP! Stuck in rv park!!!

I have a 1998 georgie boy p30 chasis,
36' 454 engine.. I have smoke comming from my front tires, especially the right side.. I drove about 70 miles to a nerby state park..
Cooled the tires off with some water, smells bad . I belive the brakes were dragging the last 3 or 4 miles... Fearful of drive back home,, is there anything i should do?? I had this problem last feb in arkansas with the back tires,, the next day the were ok and didnt smoke.. Afterward i installed new brake pads
Very confused and wondering if it will make it back home!

mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

In the interest of safety I would find a truck stop or RV dealer close by and see if you can get a "courtesy" brake inspection, most mechanics if not too busy will listen to your concern and have a look for you ( it sounds like you may have a problem with the system that is intermittent, and you don't want to lose braking when you need it the most )

Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Frozen Caliper

I'm pretty sure what you have is a frozen caliper. I see a front end brake job in your near future.

Not safe to drive.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two thing I would do. Clean and lube the slide pins on the calipers and do a complete flush of the old brake fluid. These should be done at least every two years.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
replace the front brake hoses while you're about it. then flush to bleed. check the rotors for cracks and warpage. check the front bearings/seals.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

ww4mbg knows what he's talking about.

Brake hoses break down internally allowing fluid to flow towards the brakes but not back to reservoir when released.

Make sure you buy NAPA hoses or Chevrolet hoses, do not accept anything else.

Water is the biggest enemy of brake systems, absorbed from the air, causing all kinds of brake failures. Fluid should be changed from time to time.

Best of luck,

Happy Trails

Wally C
2005 Monaco Knight 330 cummins 38' 4 slides
Recently traded in: 96 Dolphin 36' 454 Gas
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

Stuck in rv park

Thank all of you for the info..the stuck caliper makes alot of sense.as i replaced the brakes with new pads already,
Gonna try to make it to town tomorrow, maybe with the brakes cool i might just mKe it... Then im gonna tear the front end apartNd find this problem.
Again thanks for the help!!!!
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

It is definitely stuck calipers. I had the same issue last year. The previous owner had put all new brake pads, calipers, master cylinder, rotors, but forgot to replace the hoses. It drove home great and then we proceeded to spend a couple of months repairing and replacing those items we wanted. Took it out with the family for a shakedown drive and 3 of the 4 brakes froze up. Had it towed and when they pulled the tires to look at the brakes they found that the hoses hadn't been replaced. Got Napa parts and had them replaced. No issues in 6000 miles since.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpwire View Post
ww4mbg knows what he's talking about.

Brake hoses break down internally allowing fluid to flow towards the brakes but not back to reservoir when released.
Thought he had a ford.

I was going to say what you said.. Make sure you get good quality hoses.

At one time this was one of the "Suspects" in the Workhorse brake problem.. In fact one or two coaches it WAS the diagnosed problem... Though I do not seem to have that problem with my horse.

My towed had exactly that happen.. Just exactly that.. It had genuine chevrolet hoses too.. FACTORY INSTALLED (Roughly 200,000 miles before they failed)
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nope... This thread is workhorse to the core....

If u can get her to an authorized workhorse service center, u may have a recall issue u can get fixed for free.

U do have one or more frozen calipers, please be very careful
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #11

Stuck in RV Park..

Everyone keeps throwing fixes..which I am sure are the solution as they all seem
to have knowledge..but let us not forget the real issue...What is the Cause...so that A. It won't happen again...and B. it gets the prob solved on the first try..Diagnostics are always the first...sure you can do a quick fix to get back on the road if you have a short distance to go..but always find the cause..don't just fix the problem...guess that is the Medic in me talking but it's a hard and fast rule that rarely lets you down...good luck getting home, and i hope it is as simple as a stuck caliper.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
When the pads were changed that should tell a little one of them will be worn more most of the time it's the inside one.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Personally I don't think it should be driven till found and resolved. This is a severe safety issue that for this fact should not be ignored.

Driving it any amount of distance could freeze the caliper or overheat and possibly cause a fire or an accident. Both of which could be fatal to yourself and/or others on the road.

I'd be looking for a mobile RV mechanic to come and look at/repair the vehicle before it moves anywhere!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Nope... This thread is workhorse to the core....

If u can get her to an authorized workhorse service center, u may have a recall issue u can get fixed for free.

U do have one or more frozen calipers, please be very careful
I'd agree, but I don't think he has a Workhorse chassis. You're right though, the symptoms scream "Bosch Brake recall".

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote