Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

HELP This could become an emergency!

Yesterday I thought my problem was loose wiring in my 50 amp plug.

Now I guess it is more serious. I am unable to get shore power OR power from my generator. I am able to run the fridge on propane, lights on battery.

History, Less than a month ago I had major work done at Camping world. The work included new coach batteries and a new converter.

This past 2 weeks I was plugged into 20 amp power. I disconnected to go empty my holding tanks and upon returning was unable to draw power from the shoreline. Figured my plug wiring was loose. Today I started the generator and still do not have any electricity to fridge, tv, outlets. The panel lights up but when I switch to AC power for the fridge it will not come on.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I installed a trickle charger on between the batteries several months ago and it is NOT functioning either. I sanded all my plug prongs, tried different extension cords and outlets. Checked all the 'coach' breakers. Pushed in all the fuses I could find and checked the fuses on the new converter.

The converter itself must not be operating either as I have not had it come on.

I am out of a town. I have an appt on Wednesday to get my brakes, hoses and belts checked at a Ford place. I am supposed to start heading to Dawson Creek for an Alaskan Caravan trip on Friday. That cost over $6000.00!

I just can't miss my trip!!!

My number is 360-601-0560. I have to run my computer off the battery so am un able to leave it on.

If anyone can help me please respond ASAP.

Thanks, Kim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

You have a 50 amp Auto Transfer switch (ATS) in your 2007 Suncriuser 35L. The problem is either in the ATS or the cable to the Load center.

2007 Suncriuser 35L Wiring TOC
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

110VAC Wiring Diagram:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_159396.pdf

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #3

Hi Chief,

I remember you. You helped me when I was having electrical problems out in the desert. I have looked at the diagrams as well as the manual. They do not make a lot of sense to me. Are you reffering to the 5070 transfer switch for the generator? Anyho, is there a way for me to check or reset something or do I need camping World?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Had a problem like your a couple of years ago, If I remember right, I disconnected all the batteries and shore power. Then plug in your shore power and see if that didn't reset the transfer switch. Make sure you don't have a load going when you hookup the batteries. Have your invert/charger checked.
Good luck
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

No ac from shore or genset sounds like transfer switch is stuck open.Try tapping on it see if that does anything. Hope you make your trip.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbog View Post

or do I need camping World?
Hear and read too much about the problems after the MH was in the shop at CW?
I would talk to the Service Manager at that CW store and see what he has to say.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It may be coincidental in that they both don't supply power but the power cord could still be a problem especially if the male end is loose.Also check the circuit breaker on your generator to make sure it has not been tripped for some reason.

If the shore power cord is good and the generator circuit breaker is OK, then it is most likely a failed transfer switch.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Sorry for delay, at work today and was out with the misses last night.

From the posts I have seen here on IRV2, more often than not the cable connector hold down screws in the ATS switch come loose from vibration. In fact, many an ATS switch has been burnt up and had to be replaced do to loose connections. Thats the first thing to check.

WARNING - Shore power cable disconnected from campsite post, Generator OFF, and Inverter OFF BEFORE checking the hold down screws. For 50 amp service, voltage from L1 to L2 lead is 240VAC so remove all power for safety.

ATS (Parallax 5070 per parts manual http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...07/7ifg35l.pdf; pdf page 127) should be near the shore power cord entry. I know it is at one end of the coach but the drawings are not real clear about which end of the coach that is.
ATS switch (a set of 3 heavy duty solinoids [relays]) selects between shore power and generator input. Output of ATS feeds the 2 main AC Coach distribution panel 50 amp circuit breakers. The only CB protection for ATS input is the CBs on the generator and the 50 amp CB on the campsite post. (some people install surge protection devices in the shore power path though)

Inside of ATS looks like the right side of pdf page 4 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_157192.pdf
The screws that hold the shore power cable, generator, and panel leads in place vibrate loose. The Neutral lead (white one) seems to be one of the most troublesome of the 4.

BTW, correct link to your wiring TOC is Table of Contents

Dave
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

No more emergency

Thanks all. I wiggled, jiggled, checked for loose wires and reset every fuse I could find. All is well now and I have learned so much more. Sorry it took awhile for this reply. Some one some how got my credit card information and was busy purchasing summer wear on line That is time consuming to say the least! Anyhow, Alaska here I come.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

This was interesting to read through.

CHIEF: a question for you: how often (your impression) do these connectors on the transfer switch come loose? Is it worth yearly (or thereabouts) preventative maintenance to go through and check those connectors for thightness???? (Just trying to learn: my new Fleetwood 36M has been out for two runs, and I am already seeing the tendency for some screws to loosten.

Along those lines: has there been any discussion around using locking compound on screws that tend to come loose (we use the stuff in building RC airplanes - where it is mandatory, else things tend to fly off in mid-air
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #11

LOL - I can't say things flying off in mid air does not happen with RV's but if you stow things correctly it is usually mangeble

I think you will find most who have seen or read the loose connector issues just here on IRV2 that a yearly connector tightening preventive maintenace task is well worth the effort. From an electrical point of view, you will always have some small amount of resistance in a connection and over time it can increase do to humidity and corrosion, Increased resistance means increased heat across the resistance therefore expansion and contraction factor end. Vibration has an adverse effect on this weakness so things get loose. When you pump nearly 50 amps through the loose connection it tends to let smoke out burning up components and the risk of fire.

Bad ATS switch cable connection example

Dave
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Good photo.

I lost a connection similarly on my transfer switch last year. I agree, check for loose connections in the AC box and ATS on a regular basis.

Keith
Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #13

Ouch - looks like I have some crawling and wire-tracing to do! I do know that my unit has a surge protector installed, so probably need to keep track of the connections on that.

Thank you all for the sage advice!