Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 02:13 AM   #15

You want qulity? look at used Foretravels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 02:45 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
First, the #1 important thing to consider when choosing a coach to buy is floorplan. You won't care what the chassis is if you don't love living in it for an extended period of time.

Secondly, it might sound like a good idea to buy a "starter" RV, but it almost always doesn't turn out that way. Too big lasts about as long as your first trip; too small lasts forever. You said you take care of things and like to own them for a long time, so buy your third RV first and that's exactly what will happen.

But more than all that, the price point you quoted - $120-$160k - could buy you a whole lot of rig if you investigated the used market instead of trying to squeeze a tiny budget into the new market. My rig is ten times what a brand new Bay Star is and it cost me a lot less than what you're planning on spending. Yeah, it's 12-years old, but you'd never know it by looking at it.

I'm not bragging about my rig, I'm trying to demonstrate how to get a much bigger bang for your buck from just about any well-maintained used coach. If you were buying a new King Aire or something like that, great! But honestly - and I mean no offense to current new-model Bay Star owners - the amount of used rig $140k can buy is so much more than what you get spending only that much on a new rig.

You said you like buying quality - there is so much more used quality out there than what you get with "entry- level(ish)" new rigs that it would be a shame if you don't at least give them a good look.

Just my two cents... worth every penny. Good luck!
X4

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Floor-plan is key as mentioned several times above.

Try to get a large chassis (assuming you are going to stick with a gas coach). You will constantly be up against the load rating with family travel. I would consider 22,000# GVWR as minimum. I would also buy Ford only and newer than 2005. There are many horror stories about extended repair problems and downtime at dealers on new units. I will likely never buy new because of the immediate depreciation, and a used unit is likely to be debugged pretty well by the original owner. Better their pain than mine.

When I set out to look for my second and current MH I only looked at Newmar, Fleetwood, Winnebago/Itasca, Ford chassis only. There are many other brands and models but those seemed to have the least horror stories on the forums.

Just my opinions, Good Luck!!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #18
PBG

Quote:
First, the #1 important thing to consider when choosing a coach to buy is floorplan.
I'll kindly disagree with this theory and feel that choosing a desirable floor plan should be the second most important item in the selection process.

I say this as I'll guess you already have a good idea of the desired size and notable features, but I'm under the opinion that first focusing in on a manufacturer that builds the best quality for your budget and shopping for a dealer that has a decent record for taking care of its customers, should be the first item on the checklist.

Once you've found the manufacturer, perusing the web can help you narrow down the floor plan offerings.

If all manufacturers provided equal quality, then I would agree with having the floor plan as the top priority would be a good way to go. But sadly, that's not the case these days. I'll guess that finding a model that is built to your acceptable standard of quality will surely take longer than selecting a floor plan.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #19

I would agree with all that emphasize floor plan and the one who emphasized where everyone is going to be on a rainy day. That puts the floorplan in real perspective. Secondly I go along with a used unit a couple of years old. Its still new enough for some of the latest technology and bells and whistles but the "kinks" have been worked out by then by the first owner. Mine with bunks works well for us when its just the two of us and when we have the grand kids. Starting out with a pop up many years ago we had a room that zipped on to the awning which created a whole outside room to live in. In that way we lived in the outside room and slept in the pop up. I also agree that the memories you create with the kids now will come back as fond memories in later years. BTW my daughter who we infused with the camping spirit as a child is now doing it with her son. We took him on his first trip last year south to the Smokies and are going up to Lake George this year. Who's to say you can't take the MH to soccer or the other activities the kids are involved in. Sure beats sitting on cold or wet field when you have the warmth of the MH. Enjoy!!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
One of the things we did was look at several high end coaches that we never would buy new due to putting too much of our hard earned money out.( at least for our comfort)
When we first started rving years ago we had no idea what "quality" was. "Glitz" made up our first towable purchase.when we moved to a MH we decided in Looking at the high end and REALLY looking.
Cabinets, plumbing, Windows , furnishings like actually sitting in that nice looking couch, that's really uncomfortable after 15 minutes! The high end " tour"will give you points you'll perhaps notice in the entry model that you won't find acceptable after some use. Of course you will need to make trade offs at the lower end. But you can make them with open minds about what is possible.
We've done both new and used and will think hard before buying new again. Unless we were sure it was our LAST coach :-)
Lastly are you "camping"or using the Rv to travel and see points of interest or some combination ? Your answer will determine some of the size and interior comfort need.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #21

A couple of thoughts…

Bigger is not always better. We camp in National Forest or State Park campgrounds whenever possible. Usually reservations are not possible and when they are, we seldom make them. The smaller the unit the more camp sites we will fit in.

Slide outs are great. When thinking about floor plans, make sure that the MH is usable with the slide outs in. When stopping for a 30 minute rest, you don’t want to put the slide out. Sometimes the only spot has a tree in the way. Sometimes it is cold/hot out and you want to reduce the load on the heating/AC equipment.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
The floor plan comment is so common but in reality makes little sense in your first class a.
Yes get something that makes sense as far as a floor plan, duh.
But it is only after you've spent a few week long trips, that you figure out things like "more Windows would be really nice" or "we want the kitchen on the other side" to " gotta have a bath and a half".
So just my opinion but I would buy a used coach that's as close to what you THINK you need, then you will find out what you REALLY need.
Newmar is a good coach.
All that means is there is less chance of lots of problems.
But there will be problems.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
The floor plan comment is so common but in reality makes little sense in your first class a.
Yes get something that makes sense as far as a floor plan, duh.
But it is only after you've spent a few week long trips, that you figure out things like "more Windows would be really nice" or "we want the kitchen on the other side" to " gotta have a bath and a half".
So just my opinion but I would buy a used coach that's as close to what you THINK you need, then you will find out what you REALLY need.
Newmar is a good coach.
All that means is there is less chance of lots of problems.
But there will be problems.

Sorry, but after a year's worth of research I didn't need "a few week long trips" to figure out that I'd bought the right coach; I'd bought the right coach because I'd done all the research. Some buyers just know it when they see it; others have to go sit in it and pretend it's theirs for a couple hours; too many others WISH they had done all that before they bought the rig they currently own.

What are you suggesting they do after they've already bought the coach they thought they needed only to find out what they really needed was something else? Trade it in? Learn to live with disappointment? This is exactly the situation we were trying to help them avoid by emphasizing the priority of the floorplan.

There will always be some compromises we have to make to get the right coach - I wanted 500 hp, I settled for 400 instead - but hopefully the buyer is fully aware of those compromises BEFORE they buy and not forced into accepting them AFTER they have already shelled out all that money.

It's not nearly as "duh" as you make it sound.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Seems like a big investment if you still have 3 young kids at home
If you can swing it, it seems like the perfect time, but this is not your retirement Class A.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
I'll kindly disagree with this theory and feel that choosing a desirable floor plan should be the second most important item in the selection process.

I say this as I'll guess you already have a good idea of the desired size and notable features, but I'm under the opinion that first focusing in on a manufacturer that builds the best quality for your budget and shopping for a dealer that has a decent record for taking care of its customers, should be the first item on the checklist.

Once you've found the manufacturer, perusing the web can help you narrow down the floor plan offerings.

If all manufacturers provided equal quality, then I would agree with having the floor plan as the top priority would be a good way to go. But sadly, that's not the case these days. I'll guess that finding a model that is built to your acceptable standard of quality will surely take longer than selecting a floor plan.

Just my two cents.
I don't disagree with you that choosing a quality manufacturer is a huge priority, and I never meant to suggest someone should buy an inferior model just because they like the floorplan.

While I personally emphasize floorplan as the first priority, manufacturer would be a very close second on my list. I'd prefer to see every floorplan option first just to get a sense of what's possible, and then filter that down through the list of quality manufacturers, but there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with doing it the other way around.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #26

Although we didn't sit in any of the MH's we looked at for hours, we did look at as many as we could before buying, and sat in them for a while to get a feel. Floorplan is very important, and no matter what you buy, when you park it they all do the same thing. So you want it to be comfortable, as well as functional.

Like Wryly said if you do your research you will know it when you find that perfect match for you. We looked/researched for two years before buying. But when we did we bought a MH that we love, we got it at a great price and will keep for a long time. We knew when we had the right combination due to our research on IRV2, but more importantly going out and looking at and driving as many as we could. You can't just depend on what others tell you is the best, or everything you read, you need to see for yourself. Buying a MH is way more complicated than buying a Car, and takes more effort on your part to find the right one for you.

No MH will have everything you want, and normally you have to compromise in some area. I think the people who buy a MH and then turn around and sell it within a year or so, most likely didn't do their research and ended up regretting what they bought. You get what you pay for, so make the most of it and buy what really fits your needs taking quality, floorplan, size, amenities, and cost into consideration.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry, but after a year's worth of research I didn't need "a few week long trips" to figure out that I'd bought the right coach; I'd bought the right coach because I'd done all the research. Some buyers just know it when they see it; others have to go sit in it and pretend it's theirs for a couple hours; too many others WISH they had done all that before they bought the rig they currently own.

What are you suggesting they do after they've already bought the coach they thought they needed only to find out what they really needed was something else? Trade it in? Learn to live with disappointment? This is exactly the situation we were trying to help them avoid by emphasizing the priority of the floorplan.

There will always be some compromises we have to make to get the right coach - I wanted 500 hp, I settled for 400 instead - but hopefully the buyer is fully aware of those compromises BEFORE they buy and not forced into accepting them AFTER they have already shelled out all that money.

It's not nearly as "duh" as you make it sound.
Sure didn't mean to offend you, just offered up our exp.
We bought the "perfect" coach for us at the time.
Knew it was "just right" and "felt like home".
We had done a fair amount of research also.
Do we still love it after 3 years? Yes. But guess what? Altho a queen size bed doesnt seem like a big deal and we could "compromise", we want a king.
Thought that self level jacks are great, but now want auto level. No compromise.
Not to mention how nice a heated floor would be. Next coach for sure.
We thought a single bath was fine, now we see a bath and a half would be great.
We had no idea just how important a nice big window is on the passenger side the bedroom is until we woke up in the dang thing with the Superstition Mountains staring at us.

We had no idea just how important some things are to us, like passenger side dinette, or big windows UNTIL we went on long trips.
Heck we thought we would just rent cars when we got somewhere instead of having a toad. That lasted one trip. Luckily we skipped the dolly ordeal and just went straight to 4 down..
Now if you can figure all that out sitting in one at an rv show for an hour, way cool.
Our exp has been different.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #28

FWIW I have to say that given the OP stated use a 40 ft DP is going to be a limiting PITA for a lot of what they want to do. If they can put 5 people comfortably in a 30ish foot Baystar for the next 10 years they will fit better at a lot of places, take less maintenance, and be more than adequate. They won't put enough miles on it to be an issue.

Tags
chassis, purchase