Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Help water problem!

Ok so it has been a long time since I was on here. I left for my year long tour back in September and so far so good. We have logged over 10,000 miles in 11 states.

Here is the issue and it's a weird one. We were in Wyoming it was like cold I mean like neg 7 cold. Well 2 days after being there we traveled to colorodo here now. When I went to fillthe water tank water poured out the side of my rv where the refrig access panel is. I opened it and can see the water gushing out. It looks like the line for my ice maker. However we never use the ice maker. Never have used it.
Now the other issue is that we filled the tank even though water was gushing out the lights said it was filling. But by morning there was no water. Three lights out and water would not pump via the pump.

So now at an rv park and hooked up water. It flows just fine but water is still gushing out the side of he rv!

Any thoughts as to what is going on! We leave tomorrow back on the road and we boondocks 5 nights a week!

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Oh I did call mobile repair but they are a no show so far and now not returning my calls. Not happy. We need water!

illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
The water gushing out the side is either the icemaker hose or the solenoid and or bowl is cracked. I know from experience on this one. You need to fix that first before you check anything else.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
While I'm some what handy can u give me more specific. I can see that it's leaking. What I don't know is what to do! Replace the pump!?
Get a new hose?

Any thoughts or more specific details would be great

I took the access panel,off and there is a puddle of water under the fridge where the pump is housed. But have no idea what to look for or what to check.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OK Sam ,I 'll give this a try, you claim you never used your ice maker(wire bail on ice maker in the up position) to make ice, but did you ever shut off the water supply to the solenoid valve that feeds the ice maker? If the line froze and broke or the solenoid froze and broke it will leak. Most of the time the water line from the ice maker is under the kitchen sink and has a small shut off valve on the line. Just a idea for you to explore as I am guessing due to you never said what we were working on here other than a water leak. Year, model, what kind of rig..etc. The more info. provided the more folks will be able to help you.
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the top of solenoid there are two wires with spade clips remove one of them and water will stop at solenoid and not flow to ice maker.
With the freezing temps the water line may have froze and split going to ice maker.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Why not turn the valve off that is allowing water to flow to the ice maker solenoid and the ice maker?

There has to be a shut-off valve for that line.

Start digging and you will find it.

Mine is under the kitchen sink but you just never know where they may have hidden it.

Trace the line and you will find it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
By the recomendation of my local RV dealer...I carry a fitting and a cap - so if I have a leak - I can cut the line (if neccessary) and cap it until I can get the right tools to fix whatever is leaking. If nothing else maybe you can get a cap from someone and cap (plug) the leaking line so the rest of your water system can be used....
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Ok thx. Let me clear up a few things

2000 sportsman coachman
Double door fridge with ice maker inside freezer. And no never used it in all 4 months of living in the bus

The water pours out only when we hook up to rv park water to fill and or use
It comes out the freezer and outside the bus at the frige access panel.

Now upon doing some more investigating I removed the access panel inside and can see the pump. When I run the pump I see water pouring out under the freezer. I'm assuming the ice maker line.

So yes looking for the valve to turn it off as I never have. Have not found the off yet!

So we can't fill the tank nor use water as non really comes out when using the pump.
If we use direct while hooked up the water runs but it also pours out side of bus and thru the floor under freezer.

Hope that gives u all some more info to go on.
I would love it to be a simple fix of turning off the water line to the ice maker.

But not sure.
As I said I'm still hunting down the place where I can close the valve to the line.

Thx and hope some one can offer more good advice. I appreciate all of your help

Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
The icemaker tubing line is T'ed into a main water line which is usually 1/2 inch flex pipe. Where the tubing and pipe come together should be a small shut off valve. Trace the tubing from the back of refrigerator until it meets the larger line to find the valve.

It is a PIA but I would carry fresh water into the MH via a bucket or large container and use it from there. That will prevent more water damage from leaking pipes. All the best as you go over this speed bump in the road.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Isn't your ice make water line clear or white plastic? Around 1/4" in diameter? If so, just find a convenient spot before the leak and clamp it shut for now with a pair of vice grips.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds to me like there is more than one leak. One in the ice-maker line behind the fridge. And one in either the line to the solenoid supplying the ice-maker, or in the solenoid itself. At some point, somebody ran water to the ice maker and it just never got flushed out. The good news is that the repair will not likely be hard once you find the leaks. My two cents, \ken

PS. Welcome to Colorado!
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
I still don't see a shut off valve for the ice maker. Or I should say I don't see a shut off to that specifically. I do see one knob on the Side of the water pump where two hoses connect but don't know if that is the right one.

The other issue is that my fridge and freezer are not keeping temp either. So maybe there is more of a problem then first thought. Ugh

Still hunting down a shut off valve under the freezer behind the access panel where the pump is. But can't see the line that goes up to the ice maker

Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
The water mostly leaks outside the bus not inside. It's so much water that it leaks back inside under the fridge and freezer.
I see the lines but can not see where they go once thru the cut out up to the ice maker.
I can see the line outside where the water gushes out.
In the morning I will look and see if I can pinch that line closed and see if that stops the leaking.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
you don't say what kind of MH, but in our Berkshire, there is a T connection under the bathroom sink on the cold water line. you need to find where your t connection is

2009 Berkshire 390 QS and toad
Retired and traveling
no3putt is online now   Reply With Quote