Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help water to kitchen froze

Woke up this morning to frozen pipe to kitchen. We have water to shower, toilet and lav but no water to kitchen we are fulltiming in central Illinois. Temp this morning 9 deg. We have 2003 Bounder 38N. Toasty warm in coach. Under sink is warm from heat run. Problem is someplace between supply and kitchen. This is our first winter (and hopefuly our last cold one) in Our new to us motor home. Looks like water lines go behind oven and from there I don't know where. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance. Love this site. Just knew it would be a matter of time before I needed help. Glad you guys are here!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

I would open cabinets and pull drawers out on that side of the coach. Run a blow dryer on low behind the drawers to heat up the dead space. Leave the faucet open a little and hope the pipes are not split. Good luck.

Jim
rjdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Jim. I have opened cabinet doors and removed access cover under shower. Also tried using blow dryer pluged in at bath lav but tripped gfi. Now can't get gfi to reset. Woke up on right side of the sod this morning so all is not lost. This is our first motorhome and just started fulltiming in Sept. Have a lot to learn but loving it. It is almost 11 AM, outside temp up to 19 deg. but still have water everywhere but kit. Will continue to try defrosting. Is there any way to access piping between supply and sink? Should also mention that we are in an RV park with full Hookups.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

I have had this happen to me in my old TT. It was the hose outside and right were it conects in the trailer. but since your bathroom water works it not that. What is your high temp outside going to be today? Another time were all my water froze I left the faucents to the one position and once it hit 28 degrees outside my water lines unfroze. That was also help from the heat in the Trailer as well. That was my 1st year in my TT and boy oh boy I learned alot. I froze everything Once your water runs again, now that youo know it can and will freeze I would suggest you leave the water running just a bit at night.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

If the GFI tripped and will not reset may indicate that water has gotten into an outlet and causing an unbalanced load. Could be your frozen water pipe has a pinhole leak in it and is spraying on something. If it is a GFI on an outlet then there could be more than one outlet attached to it triggering. An outlet GFI is NOT a circuit breaker that pops because of too much load...it pops because there is an unbalance due to something being grounded/shorted out. Be real careful. It is safer to assume something is wrong than assuming the GFI is bad. They are pretty reliable.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

You need to get heat into your wet bays. If you have a small electric space heater put it in the wet bay where your water connection or tank drains are located. This will get heat under your piping and allow it to rise and circulate through the piping runs. Your frozen pipe should thaw in about 30 to 60 minutes. In the future, in cold temperatures keep a drop light with a 100 watt bulb on in the wet bay to keep temps above freezing.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK Jim we have running water. Problem area was water lines that run behind frig and oven close to outside wall of RV. found an access panel at side of frig and used blow dryer. In the future I will let water trickel in kitchen. Should I let hot, cold or a mix trickel? Thanks for your help.
Now for the gfi.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

On my previous MH it was always the outside outlet that leaked and kicked the GFI inside but like I said check inside carefully and make sure you didn't put a pinhole leak in a pipe that froze and it is spraying on some electrical junction box or something.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

To see if you have a leak - with water in your fresh tank run your pump and then shut all faucets off. Pump should stop and not cycle till you open another faucet or flush toilet. If you have a leak you will hear your pump cycle on/off breifly. If working right it won't cycle for days. Hope this makes sense. I would leave both hot and cold water dripping but would also try to get some insulation between the pipe and outside wall and leave a drawer out or door open at night. If you are running off your pump it may get anoying at night when it cycles for the dripping faucet. Main thing is to get air into the space like a small fan or heater etc.

Jim
rjdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

Larry,

We use two of these whenever a hard freeze is forecast. Its a good heavy UL listed outdoor socket rated for 150 watt bulb. I use 120 watt heat lamps as we have had to make winter trips into southern New England in the past. Ours came from Home Depot so you should not have any trouble finding them.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	17098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3495.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	17099  

Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike
thanks for the help. Got the water problem taken care of. I need help with the electrical. All electrical was working fine. I pluged a hair dryer into the bath outlet and after a bit lost power. After checking found I have no power to the gfi or to about half the outlets in the motorhome. Checked the breakers located at the foot of our bed but none are triped, Is their a fuse or breaker someware else? Have no idea what to do next.
Thanks to everyone for all The help.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Don't know if you have an inverter or not but if you do it is possible that those outlets are all coming off the inverter and when you plugged in the hair dryer you tripped the breaker on the inverter. Check the front of the inverter and see if there is a reset or a breaker. It maybe a push button reset. Let us know.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have an inverter check it for circuit breakers.. Many have one or two circuit breakers on them... Sometimes they are hidden around back.. Thankfully.. My rig does not have that. (I have an inverter but it relies on down-stream breakers)

Suggestion 2: Do your best to "Map" the plumbing on your rig, that way you know what to open and what need not be opened when it's cold out.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks wa8yxm, I looked at the inverter but didn't see any breakers.I'll look closer in the morning. As for maping the plumbing I now have a better idea of where it goes and where I had the problem. will take measures to prevent a reoccurence tonight. Thanks for your help.

Tags
water