Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #15

Did you drive them?
Do not reject a longer wheelbase until you "feel" the difference.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #16

Make sure you drive them both. Also, driving the 15 trans vs. the 16 makes a difference. Also huge noise difference in the cab.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpro23 View Post
What kind of mods?

I would first drive them on a windy day. Then you can contact a rv performance shop like Henderson Lineup. They will be able to explain the most common upgrades made for that specific chassis.
Three years ago when I was in the market for a class A I test drove every WBGO possible, and more than just once. I found the Adventurer to be the best ride. Probably because it was heavier. I would also explore the idea of going back a few years, and going used with a higher end rv, for the same money.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
I wouldn't spring for either of those until I was certain that a Newmar wasn't a better choice. In fact, I made just that choice a year ago... among the Class A gassers we felt the Newmar was the best choice and went for a BayStar 3124. It turned out to be a perfect coach without a single problem or "correction item" of any kind! The only reason we no longer have it is we realized, after the purchase, that we needed more space and diesel towing power. Live and learn. But our 1 year old BayStar was in great demand and our Newmar dealer treated us very well with the trade.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
A comment on the Holiday Rambler brand - it was once a well-respected brand. When Monaco took it over, the quality remained good. When they went bankrupt and the Navistar took over Monaco/Holiday Rambler, the quality remained pretty good.

In the last few years, Holiday Rambler has since been sold again, once or twice, and the quality of the current production HR products that I've seen is NOTHING like the HR product that established the once-well-deserved reputation, years ago. I think the current owners have really cheapened the quality and are relying on the long-ago established reputation of the HR brand to sell these totally different, cheap rigs.

By name alone, between Winnebago and HR, I'd go Winnebago. That said... check out Newmar!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I have a rev group 2015 holiday rambler vacationers with a 242" wheelbase, it rides and drives great and is quiet in the cab area, I have a ford excursion with a v10 that has more engine noise than the coach. The fit and finish is great and all wiring is loomed and labeled all plumbing is cleanly run and restrained. I have 20750 miles on it with not one issue, it has been a great coach.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
A comment on the Holiday Rambler brand - it was once a well-respected brand. When Monaco took it over, the quality remained good. When they went bankrupt and the Navistar took over Monaco/Holiday Rambler, the quality remained pretty good.

In the last few years, Holiday Rambler has since been sold again, once or twice, and the quality of the current production HR products that I've seen is NOTHING like the HR product that established the once-well-deserved reputation, years ago. I think the current owners have really cheapened the quality and are relying on the long-ago established reputation of the HR brand to sell these totally different, cheap rigs.

By name alone, between Winnebago and HR, I'd go Winnebago. That said... check out Newmar!

REV owns Holiday Rambler and they are made on the same line as the Fleetwood's (also owned by REV).
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssr View Post
REV owns Holiday Rambler and they are made on the same line as the Fleetwood's (also owned by REV).
True, unfortunately. HR is no longer a "brand"... it is merely a name that has been passed around like a hot potato.

The model I am most familiar with, the HR Endeavor, was completely transformed into a very cheap knock-off of the earlier Endeavor models that were built by Monaco and then Navistar. When REV/Fleetwood bought the brand, the Endeavor took a dramatic turn for the worse - much cheaper materials and lower quality of build. Quite obvious to anyone who was familiar with the model before REV/Fleetwood bought the HR name.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #23

Winnebago versus REV

Same engine

Same frame

Same tires

Same engine electronics

Same steering wheel

Same gas pedal

Same brakes

Same copper wire

Same lights

Same fiberglass

Same water lines

Same water fixtures

Same appliances

Same furniture makers

Different cabinet makers

Different decals
Old 04-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #24

There are some fairly big differences in the chassis set ups.......

Taking a quick look at the coach specs, this is what I saw. I did this quickly on line, so I would suggest a buyer double check the numbers.

HR 32H
18k GVWR
19" wheels
190" wheelbase vs. 31' overall length = 51% wheelbase to length ratio (marginal....)

Vista 35B
22k GVWR
22.5" wheels
242" wheelbase vs. 36.5' overall length 55% wheelbase to length ratio (pretty good)

I'm not sure if the 18k vs. 22k have same size brakes, or if the gear ratios are the same, but those can be found on the Ford web site

I would fully expect the Vista to ride better, being heavier, riding on the longer wheelbase and significantly greater wheelbase to overall length ratio, be quieter as the engine on a chassis with 22.5" wheels usually does not protrude as much into the cabin and / or allows more sound insulation, and the 22.5" wheel diameter is going to smooth out road imperfections.

Coaches on 22.5" wheels usually have larger (taller) basement storage bays as well. However, still need to check comparable UVW/GVWR and CCCs to see how much you can actually carry on each.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Floor plan is King. As mentioned previously you may have to stay inside for an extended period due to weather, etc. Get the one that fits your needs the best.
Gordon, I have read this on IRV2 more times than I can count and I'd like to offer an alternative viewpoint for the OP to consider.

I'd say it depends on what you plan to do with the coach. If you're a retired Full-Timer that drives 250 miles, then stops someplace for a month, then drives another 250 and stops for 3 months, etc., then yes ... Floor plan is King!

However, if you're like me - still a working stiff - then the schedule dictates when we can travel and when we can't. We'll often jump in the motorhome, and drive 1200 miles straight through. Stay a week and drive 1200 miles home. As a result... Ride and Handling are King! I spend so much time behind the wheel, I have to have a coach with good road manners. The floor plan? ... as long as It's got a bed, bathroom and kitchen, I can make just about anything work.

Just another perspective for the OP.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Winnebago versus REV

Same engine

Same frame

Same tires

Same engine electronics

Same steering wheel

Same gas pedal

Same brakes

Same copper wire

Same lights

Same fiberglass

Same water lines

Same water fixtures

Same appliances

Same furniture makers

Different cabinet makers

Different decals
Much of the chassis differences are minimal, BUT:

Designers and engineers, cabinet makers, wall makers, roofers, equipment installers, window installers, floor makers, electricians, plumbers... essentially, all the design, engineering, coach building and assembly work, wiring, plumbing, cabinet creation and installation, and all the kitchen and coach lighting, heating, cooling, audio-visual, water supply, water and waste equipment installation is done by different workers, in different factories - that alone is a very BIG and quite significant difference! And, backed by different companies, as well. VERY significant differences, even if the chassis differences are not.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Much of the chassis differences are minimal, BUT:

Designers and engineers, cabinet makers, wall makers, roofers, equipment installers, window installers, floor makers, electricians, plumbers... essentially, all the design, engineering, coach building and assembly work, wiring, plumbing, cabinet creation and installation, and all the kitchen and coach lighting, heating, cooling, audio-visual, water supply, water and waste equipment installation is done by different workers, in different factories - that alone is a very BIG and quite significant difference! And, backed by different companies, as well. VERY significant differences, even if the chassis differences are not.

So, since we live and work in REV's home state and like to buy local to support our working brothers...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
So, since we live and work in REV's home state and like to buy local to support our working brothers...
If you choose your RV based on that reason, personally, that's your business and yours alone.

That wouldn't be how I would make such a decision, though. Different strokes for different folks.

Tags
holiday rambler, winnebago