Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Help with 04 Coachmen

I am considering buying a 2004 Coachmen Limited Edition Diesel
16,000 miles from an individual. Any experience. Will have an
inspection done.

jskelton83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
354 mbs cc

I too have a 2004 coachman 354MBS Cross Country. I picked up for a great price.
Granted it needs:
An awning
an inverter
and I bought a auto start Generator device for it .
I ve only driven it twice once to pick it up and once to take it to my house and once to take it to storage.
The cummings is the 300 HP and the Allison is the mh3000 six speed push button.
In the short time ive had it two things are a miss the step has a fuse I cannot find ,and the boost light is staying no big deal both should be fixable no problemo

LonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Hey Red, sorry gave you that nickname cause your last name is the same as a really GREAT comedian.

Anyhoo, you didn't say if it was the 34 foot version or the 38 either one is good. With a 2004 you want to take a long look at the tires, you will hear this from several other posters I am sure. Look for weather cracking and look for the DOT date of the tires. If you see something like 4603 or 4604 that means that the tire was made in the 46th week of 2003 or the 46th week of 2004.

If you see weather cracking, you will have to replace the tires. A full set will run you 2500 to 3000. Shop around you might get a deal from someone.

What type of engine, cummins or cat and I presume it has an Allison trans. See if he has any documentation as to how it was cared for. Oil changes once a year, trans serviced at least every 2 years or so. Have the antifreeze checked not only for how cold it will survive but something called SCA's. Very important for engines that have cylinder sleeves where cavatition can occur. That can lead to little pin holes in the cylinder walls and then you need to rebuild the engine

That's about I can load your wagon with at this time, check the coach over closely have him explain the functions of each and every device, including the generator, air conditioners Dash heater/air etc.

Most of all, Welcome and Enjoy that's what it's all about

Happy trails
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote