Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Help with a King of the Road

We are in the process of trading our home for a Class A Motorhome. There is not much available on the 2007 King of the Road, M-40QG, 42'. King of the Road is no longer in business. This motorhome has Cummins 400 w/12K miles and 4 slides. We would appreciate any information anyone can provide us with regarding this coach, i.e., has anyone heard that this is a good coach, any problems or drawbacks. We are planning on living in this coach so anything you can tell us would be a big help.

Thanks for reading and/or responding,

Randy & Nell
randywood3@aol.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #2

Hi, I can,t realy speak to the quality of a MH, KoR, but I was impressed with the 2 5th's wheel that I went through when I was looking years back.
If this is your only option for a coach, then check all the major systems , Fridge , furnace , A/C.levelers,chassis make, etc are they all current operating brand name items. Phone a windshield shop and make sure replacements are available. If all the componants check out, then it comes down to the quality of the build, and the price. Orphan units should be selling at a huge discount.
Pehaps another member can speak to quality.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

Hi, again , RickO , from iRV2, will probably be sending you a link to a pre- purchase check list. I should have imported it from the thread where iI saw it but I'm not too good at that sort of thing.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

I certainly wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the KotR. I see according to NADA, the 2007 model you're looking at should be priced somewhere between 176k and 212k.

Skip made a very good suggestion as to checking systems. If they're all common names (Norcold, Atwood, Suburban, Coleman, Dometic, etc) they can all be repaired if necessary. Pay real attention to the integrity of the body and any signs of leaks. also, look the windows over good for signs of "hazing/fogging" or that black stuff creeping in between the layers.

You're safe with a Cummins engine and it probably has an Allison MD-3600MH trans which is safe as well.

Please keep us posted!
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

Hello, there I hope this info isn't too late. The link I was refering to is in Chassis Club,Freightliner, in a post by Don &Kim, Thread titled ' Inspection before purchase what to look for " a post to this thread by RickO, contains the link to the form.Good luck and I hope this helps.
Just got through the link myself, once your in to the second thread look fot a post from, Hitchhiker, Attached file, a 54.3kb .pdf.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #6

Randy as O/P's have said do a through inspection, also make sure you have all the manuals that came with the coach, primairly the manual for the coach itself. Another thing to consider, a 2007 coach that is no longer made is going be a bear to find parts for, items like bay doors, hindges, and such. My coach is 12 years old and the company is still around, but some parts are getting hard to find for it. Good luck.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure how to weigh in here. Dad and I were looking at two KotR at a large consignment dealer in Texas two years ago, they were both 2007 models, but different floor plans. At the time my dad had a 1998 Holiday Rambler Navigator and I had a 2002 Monaco Diplomat. We had struck the deal for both coaches new at $150,000.00 each. We drove the 11 hours to Texas. We were disappointed in the quality of the coach. Primarily in the wood work, and flemzy interior doors. While nice and both new, it was not the quality we were used to in our then present coaches. We kept the money in our pockets and drove the 11 hours back home empty handed. Dad now has a 2008 Alegro Bus, and I now have a 2008 Monaco Camelot.

I also remember an issue with the ISL engine and a recall that really did not fix the problem, but added an idiot light that gave you advance warning to engine failure.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Here's a link to an RV Business story about the company that made that coach. Most bothersome to me would be that it was a very small operation, and built that coach shortly before shutting down.

King of the Road Shuts Down Operations | RV Business

Lots of good used coaches out there -- you can afford to be choosy!
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote