Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Help with basics - new to MOHO

I am new to motorhome, my 2004 National Seabreeze, headed out on first long trip and have some questions, need help from you experienced folks.

Can I travel with the heat on, propane heater in this case, or will wind turbulence create probelms. Am I better off running generator and using electric heat? Daughter and Grandkids will be in coach, me and Co-pilot up front. Cool temps forecast so think this will be issue.

Seatbelts; I have 3 seatbelts on couch but none in dinette, not a problem for this trip but if more than 3 passengers, plus us, what is it that folks do for seatbelt law? My neighbor has 42' DP and says they all just sit where ever and don't worry about seat belt laws! I only run 55-60 but I know for fact he cruises at 70-75, would scare the he.. out of me.

Towing; I bought a 2007 Malibu ready to tow, base plate, lights wired and blue ox tow bar. Haven't towed yet but will later this week. Checked all things out, lights, hook up, etc.. and ready to go. Do I need to leave the key in the car in the acc. position? Does not seem like the steering wheel locks, but I guess the car won't come out of park without key turned? Haven't tried. Car has swithch wired in so I don't have to pull fuse, but still not clear on the key position.

Rear view Camera; are these generally adjustable or fixed mount? Mine points almost directly at the ground, when driving can only see a car at red lights when they are immediatley behind me. I tried to move camera but would not budge, and housing surrounding it is all caulked in place so don't want to disturb. I guess it will be good for monitoring the "toad" on the hightway, but not much use otherwise. When backing, I guess just intended to stop you right before you hit something.

Hope they don't sound stupid, but new to this stuff. Have alway had Pop-ups or TT's in past.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our rear view camera did the same as yours. We fixed by removing caulk and cover. Then there are two threaded bolts on either side of the camera. We took them out and adjusted the camera upwards.

Next, used a Dremel saw to enlarge the cover opening. Placed the cover back on with a piece of tape and tried out the camera. Worked fine, could see back down the road. You could place some markers downwind of the camera, measure the distance for more accurate camera adjustment or cover cutting.

Tighten the camera bolts, recaulk the cover and you are good to go. (I don't recall if there are screws to hold down the cover, but in any case....no problema.

Works great. Can see just a bit of straight down and a goodly distance back down the highway. Maybe 200 feet or so.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Can I travel with the heat on, propane heater in this case, or will wind turbulence create probelms. Am I better off running generator and using electric heat? Daughter and Grandkids will be in coach, me and Co-pilot up front. Cool temps forecast so think this will be issue.
In my rig, the dash heater is soooo powerful, that I don't need axillary heat. If I was carrying passengers, I'd set up a small fan (using my inverter) to move the heat back further. But it would have to be fairly cold outside to need it.

Quote:
Seatbelts; I have 3 seatbelts on couch but none in dinette, not a problem for this trip but if more than 3 passengers, plus us, what is it that folks do for seatbelt law? My neighbor has 42' DP and says they all just sit where ever and don't worry about seat belt laws! I only run 55-60 but I know for fact he cruises at 70-75, would scare the he.. out of me.
Surprised you don't have seatbelts in the dinette for the two forward facing passengers. Most do. If you need all four seats, that might be a concern, but if you only need two, have them sit in the rear facing seat. Most people just slow down a bit and don't bother with the seatbelts anyway.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We travel with the propane on (although not for the heater) but many feel it is a safety issue in case of an accident. See if your manual says anything about it.

Seat belts is an interesting topic. Typically, laws exempt those riding in the living areas from having to wear them but those in the cockpit are required to. I think of all the buses running around the country without seat belts and it doesn't make me feel quite so much of a maverick. I'd also wonder about the benefit of belts on seats which are not forward facing. I wonder if they'd do more harm than good.

You need to check the manual on your toad to learn the specifics of towing it four down. Typically, the key does need to be inserted and turned to a specific position but it varies by vehicle.

Generally speaking, I don't think the rear view cameras are designed to be adjustable. Ours will show our toad back to about the driver's seat. I think they're intended more as an aid to back up slowly but a little joy stick to adjust them up would sure be nice.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Seat belts

You might look under the dinette seats for the belts. I have 4 belts, all down under the seats.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #6

If you let us know what kind of rig you have, good chance someone on the forum has that same make and can give detailed information. On my 2000 Allegro the back-up camera had an access panel to service or adjust, inside the bedroom cabinet over the bed and my 2011 Georgetown's is moveable up and down from the outside. I always believed the camera is to monitor a tow more than looking behing you or for backing up. That being said, to me it is easier when I do have our tow (on a dolly) behind us for judging lane changes etc. by seeing when we clear past the tow car. Don't see why you can't run the propane heat while underway though it probably would be cheaper to use the generator and some type of electric heat, whether portable, heat strips on your roof top AC's or heat pumps as part of the AC's. Check under the dinette seats as suggested for seat belts.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Furnace and water heater are designed to be used going down the road. Generally, the dash heater can take care of it unless real cold.

Check the camera monitor for a switch labled "camera position", this changes the camera angle to further back. These cameras were not designed to act like a rear view mirror. There are for backing up in tight quarters and backing to hook up a trailer, that's why they point down.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you must have the key on in your Malibu to unlock the steering column. The fuse pull, or bypass switch, diables the circuit that would draw your battery down. We towed a Malibu for a couple of years prior to buying my Jeep and it was an easy tow. Never had a battery issue and I ran with a Brake Buddy plugged in as well.

On another note, I run my furnace wahile teaveling in cold weather. Never been an issue.

Safe travels!

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote