Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #15

As my daddy would always tell me "Pete, this to shall pass" and he would also say "now what have you learned from this experience" and I have done some really dumb things let me tell you, its amazing I'm still with the living. Now its my turn to pass these words of wisdom onto my granddaughter.

I always take "before pictures" and in fact I have a folder with that name in my computer where I dump those pictures. They sure have come in handy from time to time. I can hear Dad now "Pete, you aren't as dumb as you think you are, cheer up".

If I can help let me know.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #16

Here's a try at pics. In the gallary, don't know how to attach directly. Sorry no slide out tray to make better.

buck454 Gallery - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
OK, per your drawing compared to the way my set up is arranged lets call battery #1, your front battery on left and call Battery #2 your back battery on left then call battery #3 your back battery on right then #4 your front battery on right. Mine are arrange much different with #1 being on left with N to front then #2 next with P to front (both connected at N & P..then my #3 has N to front and #4 has P to front (#3 and #4 connected as they should be)...so I have #1 at left and #4 to far right). Hope this makes a visual to all helping me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I have things the same except I have a large cable from #2 P going into coach. Do not know where so a mystery. I had notes that there is a black cable going to #2 P also, but surely a black cable would not be on a positive post this could be my a problem (mystery one). I do have two two blacks from #1 N going to couch...as well as one black going to bat #3N as it should. I also have the two red cables going into coach from #4P which I believe has to be right. P & N connetions are also in place for #1 & #2 then #3 & #4 as they should be. Then I have a small cable from coach going to #3 N, not sure what it is but know it belongs on #3 N. Then a second mystery is the two flat small cables coming to #1 and #2 (red and a black). Should I not assume the black goes to battery #1 N and the red to battery #2 P? Again, surely no black would go to a P of one pair.
Don't want to try anything wrong so waiting to find out what is correct. Bet I still have blown something.
Thanks Lued but I still feel so stupid and I have a trip planned and so afraid I have burned something up causing a serious problem. If I could just find a breaker tripped for easy fix.

Yo Buck
Lets see if I have this right. Check the attached drawing.
Take these steps. Disconnect all the cables going to the coach and hook up your batteries like the drawing. Then read the voltages at the various terminals, if they aren’t close to the ones in the drawing then check the battery to battery cables until they are.

Now find your ground wires. For sure at least one or two will be going to the chassis somewhere. Use this for a reference. Measure the ground cable to the chassis; use the Ohm Setting on the lowest possible scale. Anything reading under 10 Ohms is a ground wire. Mark these and put them aside.

Now find the red cables and read the resistance, again on the Ohm scale. Anything over say 50 Ohms is a +12 Volt wire. Connect these to the + 12 Volt terminal in the drawing. If there are any you are unsure of set them aside. Measure all the voltages again, if they have changed remove the Red wires until they are the same as the drawing.

Now put the Meter between the Ground Post and the +12 Volt post set on the 20 Volt DC Scale. It should read between 11 and 14 Volts. It could be a little low because of battery discharge.

Connect the known ground wires to the To” Coach Ground” terminal while reading the meter. If there is a big change in voltage remove the wire quickly. Things should be pretty well hooked up by now, all that should be left are the wires that were questionable. Always connect the grounds last.

Touch them quickly to the +12 Volt to coach terminal and read the meter, if it drops a lot the wire goes to ground if not than it goes to the “+12 Volt to Coach terminal”. Do this quickly, if it goes to ground you will get a really big spark and generate a lot of heat in the Batteries so just enough time to see a change in the voltage on the meter, inexpensive meters can take up to two sec. to sample, a light bulb between the “Ground to Coach” and the “12 Volts to Coach” will respond faster if you have one.

One final note. Nothing should go to the terminals marked 6 Volts Just the jumpers between batteries. OK two notes... Normally the Black Cables go to Ground and the Red Cables go to 12 Volts, but people tamper with things so you really can't count on this rule of thumb.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	For Board Posting.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	25303  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Yo Buck
Lets see if I have this right. Check the attached drawing.
Take these steps. Disconnect all the cables going to the coach and hook up your batteries like the drawing. Then read the voltages at the various terminals, if they aren’t close to the ones in the drawing then check the battery to battery cables until they are.

Now find your ground wires. For sure at least one or two will be going to the chassis somewhere. Use this for a reference. Measure the ground cable to the chassis; use the Ohm Setting on the lowest possible scale. Anything reading under 10 Ohms is a ground wire. Mark these and put them aside.

Now find the red cables and read the resistance, again on the Ohm scale. Anything over say 50 Ohms is a +12 Volt wire. Connect these to the + 12 Volt terminal in the drawing. If there are any you are unsure of set them aside. Measure all the voltages again, if they have changed remove the Red wires until they are the same as the drawing.

Now put the Meter between the Ground Post and the +12 Volt post set on the 20 Volt DC Scale. It should read between 11 and 14 Volts. It could be a little low because of battery discharge.

Connect the known ground wires to the To” Coach Ground” terminal while reading the meter. If there is a big change in voltage remove the wire quickly. Things should be pretty well hooked up by now, all that should be left are the wires that were questionable. Always connect the grounds last.

Touch them quickly to the +12 Volt to coach terminal and read the meter, if it drops a lot the wire goes to ground if not than it goes to the “+12 Volt to Coach terminal”. Do this quickly, if it goes to ground you will get a really big spark and generate a lot of heat in the Batteries so just enough time to see a change in the voltage on the meter, inexpensive meters can take up to two sec. to sample, a light bulb between the “Ground to Coach” and the “12 Volts to Coach” will respond faster if you have one.

One final note. Nothing should go to the terminals marked 6 Volts Just the jumpers between batteries. OK two notes... Normally the Black Cables go to Ground and the Red Cables go to 12 Volts, but people tamper with things so you really can't count on this rule of thumb.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Dick
Thank you so much Dick. I will keep all posted.

The way you have it is the way I have it with the exceptions to the unknown cables. However, my batteries are lined up the opposite. If I turn your diagram upside down and number left to right 1-4 I have exactly the same. (your #4 is my #1, your #1 is my #4) all the same just a mirrow type enhancement.

Have any idea what the two small cables the size of telephone jack cables, one red and one black, could be going to? I am almost positive the black was connected to the positive on battery #2...it just does not make sense.

I have a total of at least three, maybe four large red cables. Two exiting compartment from #4 as one would expect, then another from #2 positive exiting compartment. Then there is the black cable with some red paint on it plus the small cable wires, hopefully man tomorrow will know his stuff. After figuring all the battery connections, we must figure what is blown/thrown that keeps all shut down. If we can just get slides in and jacks up I can get it to dealership three hours away. Already have plans to cancel trip and pull out of match next weekend.

Bill
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Dick, I have a question for clarification. What color wire would go between the negative post on bat 1 and the positive post on Bat 2 as shown in your drawing? Am I correct to think it most likely a black wire with one end painted or taped red right?

Also in a true world, nothing would be "to the terminals marked 6 Volts Just the jumpers between batteries", but in reality, at least in the two RV's I have had, that is exactly where they did connect wires. It did make it tough to figure out "who was on first" with wires connected everywhere, but....
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Dick, I have a question for clarification. What color wire would go between the negative post on bat 1 and the positive post on Bat 2 as shown in your drawing? Am I correct to think it most likely a black wire with one end painted or taped red right?

Also in a true world, nothing would be "to the terminals marked 6 Volts Just the jumpers between batteries", but in reality, at least in the two RV's I have had, that is exactly where they did connect wires. It did make it tough to figure out "who was on first" with wires connected everywhere, but....
Wow that means there are 6 Volt devices on those coaches. Now I have only owned two RV's and neither have connected to the 6Volt terminals. That's a puzzle, but perhaps someone else will chime in and give us a lesson on what is using 6 Volts. It could be someone wired in Meters to the single battery pair to know if only one pair had lost a cell or something. But I would think some device would have a selection to monitor each battery pair somewhere inside the coach.

The cables between the batteries on both my Coaches was black and it really doesn't matter which end goes to Positive and which end goes to Neg. Perhaps someone marked them with a red end to make sure the set of the bend was the same when reinstalling.
It's common to connect all the Ground wires to the same terminal on the batteries, same with the Red +12 Volt Cables going to the coach. There is some Science to it but I can't quote the reason. So I won’t BS you guys.

Buck...Sorry I got it upside down, but if you can figure it out than we'll be OK! If not let me know and I'll put it right as rain. It looks like just a front/back problem on the drawing?

Dick
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #21

Pete, the jumper part I got right becasue it was a short cable for each pair.
I do believe there must be something using 6V, even at that it would be red to positive and black to negative,correct?

Dick, drawin is fine.

To you both...I believe I all along had basics correct as per Dick's drawing but to show more of my ignorance it has come to mind that I did all this connected to shore line. With thsi said and knowing I have no panel, could I have blown, perhaps ruined, the Freedom 458 system thus having no power there. Other than the mystery wires, the F458 may be root of my lack of DC power. If it is the F458, hope it has a fuse, reset, or some protection device.

Praying fellow coming knows his stuff. More later. bill
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #22

Figured out how to post pic. 2- 12v batteries are above house batteries.
b
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MH batt compt 082512.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	25321  
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #23

I thnk we are on to something here about a 6 volt device, maybe the small cable to #1 and #2 is a 6 volt device. But what?

Fixer, I hope, due any minute.

b
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
The small mystery cables which look like telephone cables, one should go to your Inverter/Converter. That is a Temperature Sensor to alert the charger if the batteries get too hot, it should stop charging the batteries.

I have yet to see or I have never been made aware of anything in a USA made RV to use 6 volts.

How many extra cables do you have left over?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #25

FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The small mystery cables which look like telephone cables, one should go to your Inverter/Converter. That is a Temperature Sensor to alert the charger if the batteries get too hot, it should stop charging the batteries.

I have yet to see or I have never been made aware of anything in a USA made RV to use 6 volts.

How many extra cables do you have left over?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
YES, ALL FIXED and ready to roll. Mobile guy was outstanding. No damage seen, just a couple of mystery wires going to wrong place (wonder whose fault that was--ha).

Mobile RV gentleman had about 18 years experience and very nice, now working at a small RV dealership near several lakes and approximately 40 miles from me. Certainly can see using his services again. WOW, a tech truely good with voltmeter is amazing.

Richard, both of those small wires went to positive post of #2, one was probably heat sensor and one or both for panel also. Nothing 6 volt that we found, as you suspected.

Thank you all for the advice, help, and concern. Hot Springs here we come.

Bill
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Buck454....I'm pretty close to you and was wondering if you would share the mobile rv guy's name/number.

Thanks....bonzocfi

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
Buck454....I'm pretty close to you and was wondering if you would share the mobile rv guy's name/number.

Thanks....bonzocfi
sending you a PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Buck

I found that the Phone RJ11 cables are for the Temp sensor on the Freedom 458 here is a link to the owners manual. http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf look on page 28 for the text.

Also I redid the drawing for your library, in case you ever need it again. Attached. Just pencil in the temp wires.

Glad all worked out for you. I think we all learned a little something, I know I did.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	For Board Posting Rev 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	25374  

Tags
battery