Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

HELP.. with battery hookup

I have disconnected batteries to put in the mineral oil. Started with #4 battery (on my right). Did them in pairs 4 and 3 then 2 and 1 (on my left) Now I have done something wrong. Can someone tell me the sequence for hooking in proper series. Batteries are lineup in this oder negative to front on #1, then positive to front on #2 neg to front on #3, positive to front on #4. I think I have every thing right on #3 and #4 but some thing is wrong on #1 and # 2 battery. I have a smaller cable coming to #1 and #2 that I may have concused, it is a flat cable, one red and one black, I assume from charger but not sure. Begger cables also coming in for battery # 1 and #2 . What ever I do I have no power to couch. Can someone please help. Be glad to even call someone if they think they might help me.

I took a brake for dinner and came back lost. I feel so stupid.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thank you are saying you have four, 6 volt batteries. Think of them as two pairs. Each pair are wired in series (neg to pos) to make a 12 volt battery. Then the two "12 volt" batteries are wired in parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg).

See the diagrams at this link:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Vince, it is all the other coming in and going out that has me confused. Like the smaller flat cables coming in from some where.

I have three cables(one smaller flat cable) going to N on #1 then four to P(one smaller flat cable) on #2 Then ofcourse one ground cable from P on #1 to N on #2. Then #3 has three cables on N and #4 battery has three on P then ground cable to P on #3 and N on #4. I'm totally confused and do not know what breaker I may have thrown.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is everything you ever wanted to know about batteries including diagrams on how to properly hookup your 4 6 volt DC batteries to make 2 12 VDC batteries.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Here is everything you ever wanted to know about batteries including diagrams on how to properly hookup your 4 6 volt DC batteries to make 2 12 VDC batteries.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I believe everything correct but still no dc power so I am thinking I threw a breaker somewhere, but where. Looking in the compartment at back near batteries that has all the relays and breakers in it, all looks fine. There is a front compartment with lots of fuses in it but don't think that would be where the problem is. I keep thinking it has to be breaker but where. There is not even power to control panel. Only thing lite up there is charger and it would be because on AC from shore line. Can not even take to dealer because slides are out. If I could find all the motors I might could boost them off to work but do not know where a couple of them are located. What a mess and just when needing to leave on trip.

Got a mobil service guy coming Sunday but I think he will find battery hookup correct so still down to finding where the connection is not being made from fuse/relay/breaker.

All this to put in the 4 oz mineral in each cell. Maybe that was my problem, mineral did not work.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ignore the shunt, it's for a current meter I added inside the coach.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	25261  
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Buck 454
Don't feel stupid, I did the same thing I was lucky, I took photo's of it first. Denny
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Ignore the shunt, it's for a current meter I added inside the coach.

Dick
OK, per your drawing compared to the way my set up is arranged lets call battery #1, your front battery on left and call Battery #2 your back battery on left then call battery #3 your back battery on right then #4 your front battery on right. Mine are arrange much different with #1 being on left with N to front then #2 next with P to front (both connected at N & P..then my #3 has N to front and #4 has P to front (#3 and #4 connected as they should be)...so I have #1 at left and #4 to far right). Hope this makes a visual to all helping me.

I have things the same except I have a large cable from #2 P going into coach. Do not know where so a mystery. I had notes that there is a black cable going to #2 P also, but surely a black cable would not be on a positive post this could be my a problem (mystery one). I do have two two blacks from #1 N going to couch...as well as one black going to bat #3N as it should. I also have the two red cables going into coach from #4P which I believe has to be right. P & N connetions are also in place for #1 & #2 then #3 & #4 as they should be. Then I have a small cable from coach going to #3 N, not sure what it is but know it belongs on #3 N. Then a second mystery is the two flat small cables coming to #1 and #2 (red and a black). Should I not assume the black goes to battery #1 N and the red to battery #2 P? Again, surely no black would go to a P of one pair.

Don't want to try anything wrong so waiting to find out what is correct. Bet I still have blown something.

Thanks Lued but I still feel so stupid and I have a trip planned and so afraid I have burned something up causing a serious problem. If I could just find a breaker tripped for easy fix.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

This is a kind of "out of the box" thought. When you said you put mineral oil in the batteries how did you do that? How much did you put in? Did you completely remove the batteries from the coach?

Could you post a picture of your battery compartment?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi buck,

How about contacting Gulfstream and ask them to send you a diagram how to connect batteries.

Is there a battery cutoff switch someplace that you may have accidently tripped? Most coaches have a battery on/off switch and I would check that.

THe diagram that was shown is what yours should look like and the other wires that you question should go to the coach itself.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi buck,

How about contacting Gulfstream and ask them to send you a diagram how to connect batteries.

Is there a battery cutoff switch someplace that you may have accidently tripped? Most coaches have a battery on/off switch and I would check that.

THe diagram that was shown is what yours should look like and the other wires that you question should go to the coach itself.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Can not get pic of compartment now but it is simply four batteries in one row 1 to 4 left to right, #1 and #3 has N to front and #2 and #4 have P to front. As most wired as two pair.

As to getting Gulfstream I guess I should have tried but they are pretty lacking in customer service sometimes.

As to Disconnect switch, it does not work either so there is not current going anywhere. IMO, I have got to have tripped something or blowed a fuse but I can not find it.

Here's a question---where do all large cables go? I have two reds from P on #4 going out to coach and two blacks from #1 N going out...I also have a red from #2P going out. This should be common among most coachs, where do they go? I suppose one pair to charger, correct? And, perhaps one pair to generator? Other pair plus a pair of small flat cables are a mystery.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
This is a kind of "out of the box" thought. When you said you put mineral oil in the batteries how did you do that? How much did you put in? Did you completely remove the batteries from the coach?

Could you post a picture of your battery compartment?

Yes, I removed one pair at a time. #3 and #4 first and I know they are hooked up correctly. I came back fromluch in the middle of #1 and #2 and been lost every since.

I removed 4 oz fluid from each cell then added 4 oz mineral oil as many did on forum. I was hoping for the results of others, but I am in a mess now......especially with DW.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #13

All is not lost my friend. All is not lost. But we are going to have to do a little detective work here.

Couple of questions pop to mind. When you removed the battery water, were the lead plates exposed just before you added the oil?

Do you have a multi meter that will give you a reading on the battery voltage? I would love to see a voltage reading on each battery. Then a voltage reading someplace at the end of one of the red wires. Since you stated you don't have any power at all, I thinking there is a bad connection somewhere. We just need to proceed in a logical progression.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. It would help a lot to get a picture of the battery compartment. It is hard to visualize the wiring you have. As a side note, I always take pictures just before I start any job. They have saved my bacon many times.

What frame is your coach sitting on? Freightliner? We can get a copy of the schematics from the coach manufacture and they would tell us what the wires all go to.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
All is not lost my friend. All is not lost. But we are going to have to do a little detective work here.

Couple of questions pop to mind. When you removed the battery water, were the lead plates exposed just before you added the oil?

Do you have a multi meter that will give you a reading on the battery voltage? I would love to see a voltage reading on each battery. Then a voltage reading someplace at the end of one of the red wires. Since you stated you don't have any power at all, I thinking there is a bad connection somewhere. We just need to proceed in a logical progression.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. It would help a lot to get a picture of the battery compartment. It is hard to visualize the wiring you have. As a side note, I always take pictures just before I start any job. They have saved my bacon many times.

What frame is your coach sitting on? Freightliner? We can get a copy of the schematics from the coach manufacture and they would tell us what the wires all go to.
Thank you so much. Yes, FL chassis. I have someone coming tomorrow that will be handy with meter. I am not. In the meantime I will try to get piture. I was taking notes as to what went where then guess I got numbers wet and the marking rubbed off. I was trying to do all right but failed. Never thought of picture. The break for lunch was a disaster, loosing my train of thought and position. Thanks for all help, I will try to add more. Must calm DW down for a couple of hours. I'm a nervous wreck myself with slides out and jacks down. I just hope I did not burn up converter/inverter. Only thing showing to be on on panel is battery charger or which I tuned off as well as shore line.

When I added mineral oil I believe fluid was just above plates, but not for sure. I made sure batteries were full before taking out 4oz of fluid then adding 4 oz of mineral oil. I guess I need to check that batteries have a charge in them after the addition of mineral oil. Surely they would.

I am sure puzzled that everything is off in all panels, disconnect switch, etc. nothing but the battery charger lites are on (if ac is on).

Tags
battery