Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #29

I carry a nut buddy torque multiplier for emergencies...What impact driver is everyone using or recommends to remove the 475# torque lug nuts? I have tried the HF 1/2" extreme air impact ...will not break the lug nuts loose although rated at 1000+# rating, returned it...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Don't carry a spare simply because I'd rather have the storage space.... Couldn't Jack RV up or remove the flat tire anyway....

I carry roadside assistance coverage just for that type situation ....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
I carry a nut buddy torque multiplier for emergencies...What impact driver is everyone using or recommends to remove the 475# torque lug nuts? I have tried the HF 1/2" extreme air impact ...will not break the lug nuts loose although rated at 1000+# rating, returned it...
I use the torque multiper kit to back off a round (33 to 1) then 1/2" Ingersoll Rand drive impact with a 33mm socket. pluged into air system on DP to remove. I also have a 600 foot pound 3/4 drive torque wrench to put back on.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
1) I pull into a rest area or similar, grab the mounted spare out of the basement roll to where the flat tire is hanging out, wipe the sweat off my face.
2) fire up the generator
3) fire up the A/C
4) raise satellite dish
5) turn on the TV
6) call CoachNet, it’s what I pay $89.00 a year for
7) tip the roadide guy $20
8) break camp,and continue on to my destination

I really need to quit working so hard
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #33

I am working on this issue right now, I have a large storage compartment that i would like to fit just a spare tire in there, no rim, just to have access to a spare tire.

If the need arises i am not planning on changing the tire, just having one on hand if it needs to be changed. As it is, the tire i need to buy has to be shipped from out of town because they did not have it on hand.

That is the real benefit of carrying your own spare is to have the part on hand and just hiring out the labor. That is the same reason i carry a spare belts, to cut down the time of tracking this stuff down.

the down side is the price, they quoted me for one Goodyear G670 in my size was 550.00.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am working on this issue right now, I have a large storage compartment that i would like to fit just a spare tire in there, no rim, just to have access to a spare tire.

If the need arises i am not planning on changing the tire, just having one on hand if it needs to be changed. As it is, the tire i need to buy has to be shipped from out of town because they did not have it on hand.

That is the real benefit of carrying your own spare is to have the part on hand and just hiring out the labor. That is the same reason i carry a spare belts, to cut down the time of tracking this stuff down.

the down side is the price, they quoted me for one Goodyear G670 in my size was 550.00.

And not being at the mercy of a delayed response and a jacked up price because the provider "hand to go hunt for that tire" and you get to pay the "going rate" which translates to the rate you have to pay to get going again.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for your GREAT feedback on my post! I decided to go with a new tire that was able to fit into storage. Had Pro Tire in Denton check my tires and they did not see any issues. Crossing our fingers as Jo and I take our first trip from Denton to San Antonio for the Elks National Convention! Thanks again to everyone, Doug and Jo Maume
irish57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #36

For me it's not about "rolling the dice". I know i might get a flat...and I have in the past with smaller moho's where I changed out the flat. That's not the point. The fact is, there is NO WAY I'm in so much of a hurry to get the flat changed, that I'm going to deal with special tools, jacks, a large spare eating real estate and the risk of injury. I'll carry my roadside assistance card with me and let the tire guy do it for me while I sip a cola at the curbside of the motorhome.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
For me it's not about "rolling the dice". I know i might get a flat...and I have in the past with smaller moho's where I changed out the flat. That's not the point. The fact is, there is NO WAY I'm in so much of a hurry to get the flat changed, that I'm going to deal with special tools, jacks, a large spare eating real estate and the risk of injury. I'll carry my roadside assistance card with me and let the tire guy do it for me while I sip a cola at the curbside of the motorhome.

Make sure you have a sippy cup with a lid on it. Sitting on the shoulder of a busy X-way can get rocky with big trucks rolling past just feet away doing 70 MPH. Some people have spent all night there waiting for service. One bad experience will probably change your ways.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote