Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
HELP with carrying spare tire

I hope someone can help. I have a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G that does not have a spare, or the spare tire carrier. I have checked with Winnebago parts, but they do not have the carrier any longer. I am now checking with 2 different salvage companies; one in Missouri and the other in Arizona. Any other suggestions would be great. We are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and trying to secure ASAP before taking our first trip. Pictured below is what I am missing. Thanks in advance, Doug Maume

irish57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #2

Don't see the picture

jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I know, still trying to get used to this forum thread usage...tried to insert image, thought I had, but did not show?? When I click on "Insert Picture", it wants a URL??
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
unless you are prepared to also carry the tools necessary to remove lug nuts torqued to 475 ft-lbs, may i suggest you simply carry an unmounted tire and let a road service man deal with a flat problem IF you ever have one.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Doug, if it's a photo you're storing locally, use the "Manage Attachments" button that's located below the message box to upload the photo to this site.

If it's a photo you are storing online, i.e. at a hosting site on the internet, then you can use the "Insert Image" function using the URL to that particular photo.

I'd like to see what you're referring to.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thought about that; I may be able to fit it in storage. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks "theroc", here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	207394  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ah okay, thanks for posting the picture.

Now, do you have a mounted spare? ...or tire only? Where is it now? Do you have room in your storage compartments?

I wouldn't panic even if you can't find a carrier. Many of us travel without a spare either mounted or unmounted. I have done both in the past. Yes, it does give one peace of mind to have one onboard but it also takes up a lot of valuable storage and adds a certain amount of additional weight ...especially important to those who own smaller coaches. Those that have the big 43'+ tag axle coaches might have enough room but for us, we were willing to forego carrying a spare as the last coach we had used a common size tire and I just figured if we did have a flat or blowout on the road, we could quickly arrange to replace it for an emergency road service to install.

We've been lucky for in the over two decades of owning some type of RV, we've only had 1 blowout, 2 flats (slow leak punctures where we could top off air and at least drive to a service facility), and maybe 3 incidences of other tire difficulties (stem or valve problems, etc.). Therefore, I'm willing to risk not carrying a spare ...or so it was in our last motorhome.

There have been several threads here on the pros and cons if you do a search. I'll give one to get you started:

Who carries a spare tire in a class A?

eta: Pertaining to your initial question, though, it looks as if some shop that does welding could easily configure something similar for a reasonable price should you want to carry a spare ...especially if you only want to carry the tire only. Maybe think about doing that once you get back from your first trip. That way, it will give you time to research it a bit.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

Having seen the link now, You can probably get a local welding shop to build something for a reasonable price, just give them a few photos.

Ike

p.s. I carry my spare (19.5 inch wheel) on a hitch mount spare tire carrier.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #10

roadmaster offers one part #195225
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here are a couple more salvage/parts places to try

https://colawrvsalvage.com

https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe this would work

https://www.campingworld.com/underch...ire-carrier-96
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #13

I had a Winnie on Workhorse Chassis w the carrier pictured.
It is nothing special... with that photo any welding shop shpuld be able to fabricate you one.
Note only a 19.5" tire/rim will fit between the rails. The 22.5" ones are too large and won't fit.
A friend was going to copy mine but only found out ut wouldnt fit after buying the spare tire & rim
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #14
OCM

Just a thought. Unless you are prepared to change the tire yourself, you'll be facing a service call anyway, plus you have to buy tire/wheel/carrier in any case. In my opinion, it's a lot easier to carry a load of dollar bills (you already have a carrier) than go through all the hassle of buying and installing a carrier, buying wheel/tire and not being able to change it anyway. And this is from someone who carries a spare in a compartment only because it's so heavy and awkward I can't remove it by myself. It came with the DP. I keep good tires on and so far haven't had a problem.

OCM is offline   Reply With Quote